What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Jamberoo

Juniors
Everyone in Melbourne will be watching AFL tonight. 10,300 “announced” crowd
Doubt it will rate much different to other Thurs/Friday night games.
Well I can’t go as have a dinner (wife’s orders). It is at a pub will be interesting to see if any TV has the Storm game on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Travel is relative to where you reside. In a roundabout way you have agreed with the travel issue as , even though you suggest its laziness and I agree, its ultimately the reason used . Time is a big factor in modern day society and this matters with people committing to attend things. It's reality. I think pricing, promotion and relevance are equally important for attendance. The struggle to the ground and home and the time taken is in the mix somewhere as well.

In my experience if you want to go you'll go, if you don't you wont. Everything else are just excuses to justify the decision.

Perth Red

Post Whore
'Sporting capital' couldn't sell out for slater 300th and storm first home game as premiers, a least Brisbane bandwagon on successful teams like lions/reds and match bronco crowds. Yet storm can't even average 20k in spite of all that success a true sporting capital would have storm playing in sell out crowds.

haha, you are totally neglecting the abject failure of the NRL to make the game relevant outside of two states for the best part of a hundred years. or do you think people will just suddenly start following a sport for no good reason despite no exposure, opportunity or encouragement?

SO out of the three weeks the NRLs new found control of fixturing has pretty much been shthouse for 2 out of the 3 games. Newcastle you can understand as they can draw a crowd on a Thursday and NRL didn't know how good their recruitment and subsequent buzz would be prior to fixture setting. Sharks derby and the GF rematch on AFL's opening night , WTF???Could the NRL possibly have failed more in using its fixture control for these two games?

Melbourne has the biggest crowds for a Cricket, AFL and soccer. Do you really expect it to be Number 1 for RL as well?
The MCG is top 10 in the world for total sports attendances. Double any other Australian stadium. And Etihad is second. Reckon that says it all.

Do you agree that storm crowds should be bigger considering all there success from year one, for a sporting capital it hasn't truly embraced the storm if they did they be selling out aami. All that success and still thousands of empty seats 'sporting capital'.

taipan

Referee
In my experience if you want to go you'll go, if you don't you wont. Everything else are just excuses to justify the decision.

That is a simplification of BS , I've read.
Another arm chair general comment ,from someone whose made a quick visit to Sydney and is an expert on all aspects including family life here..:rolleyes:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you agree that storm crowds should be bigger considering all there success from year one, for a sporting capital it hasn't truly embraced the storm if they did they be selling out aami. All that success and still thousands of empty seats 'sporting capital'.

If they'd kept in a shty small ground like some Sydney clubs they'd now be selling out every game. How stupid of them to move to a bigger stadium lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is a simplification of BS , I've read.
Another arm chair general comment ,from someone whose made a quick visit to Sydney and is an expert on all aspects including family life here..:rolleyes:

Don't need to be an expert on Sydney, just on human behavior. If you want to go to something and it is within your means and opportunity you will. What is BS is
" I wanted to go but it was too....
hot
wet
far away
busy traffic
expensive
early
late
full
empty
rip off food
Insert excuse here....

There's been plenty of times when I've thought I cant really be bothered and besides its raining or hot or easier to watch on TV, but then thought f**k it get off your arse and go. And low and behold Ive attended. Like I said if you want to be there you will find a way if it is possible, if your not that committed then youll find an excuse. From my experience it is a big differentiator between AFL fans and others, they are just far more committed.

Valheru

Coach
Disastrous scheduling tonight again. This should have been last week unopposed but instead they decide to put the GF rematch in Melbourne on one of the few Thursdays AFL schedules a fixture which on this occassion is the traditional season opener involving 2 of the biggest AFL clubs, one of which is playing its first fixture since winning a drought breaking premiership.

Geniuses.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think these crowd numbers are definitely optimistic, overly so considering the Storm got 18,189 to Slater's 300th last week.

I've already mentioned my reasons for thinking the game will struggle to pull a 'big' crowd repeatedly in this thread.

My prediction will be that there will be less than 12,000 there tonight for Storm/Cowboys which is a real shame considering it's a Grand Final rematch, potentially Thurston's last game in Melbourne, the NRL Footy Show is in town and we are a premiership side.

Agreed - as I said, it deserves a sell-out, I would love 22k but I don't think either will happen. You are right, this is a shame.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Don’t think it makes much difference here. Only Tiger and Blues fans would be going to the MCG, that leaves 80% of AFL fans who follow other clubs free to go to Storm. The lack of parking might put a few off, but AAMI could not be better located public transport wise.
There is not a lot of cross over between Storm fans and AFL fans unfortunately.
I predict a solid crowd of 19,570 tonight.

Good to hear!

Don't need to be an expert on Sydney, just on human behavior. If you want to go to something and it is within your means and opportunity you will. What is BS is
hot
wet
far away
busy traffic
expensive
early
late
full
empty
rip off food
Insert excuse here....

There's been plenty of times when I've thought I cant really be bothered and besides its raining or hot or easier to watch on TV, but then thought f**k it get off your arse and go. And low and behold Ive attended. Like I said if you want to be there you will find a way if it is possible, if your not that committed then youll find an excuse. From my experience it is a big differentiator between AFL fans and others, they are just far more committed.
Self proclaimed expert in the art of the donkey.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I only just saw the pricing for tonights game, $70 for a Cat1 seat, $45 for a Cat 3 seat in the corner or behind the post. The Double Header in Sydney is the same price for 2 games.

barneybuck888

Juniors
haha, you are totally neglecting the abject failure of the NRL to make the game relevant outside of two states for the best part of a hundred years. or do you think people will just suddenly start following a sport for no good reason despite no exposure, opportunity or encouragement?

SO out of the three weeks the NRLs new found control of fixturing has pretty much been shthouse for 2 out of the 3 games. Newcastle you can understand as they can draw a crowd on a Thursday and NRL didn't know how good their recruitment and subsequent buzz would be prior to fixture setting. Sharks derby and the GF rematch on AFL's opening night , WTF???Could the NRL possibly have failed more in using its fixture control for these two games?

Who was the idiot that put the Storm game against the AFL at the MCG?

taipan

Referee
hot
wet
far away
busy traffic
expensive
early
late
full
empty
rip off food
Insert excuse here....

Ok Einstein.I'm a season ticket holder(9 years in a row) and in an under cover stand, cost close to $500 per season.
If my family has a sickness.or kids likewise.I put family first.You might not, that's your problem.
I didn't attend when the Cat 1 cyclone hit and the game was played. I wanted to go, but it was not only flipping dangerous to drive in those conditions,but ridiculously stupid to put your health at risk.
I have wanted to go to a couple of 6 pm games, but distance and traffic prevented me doing so.
And there is no way on this earth I would have taken my family to a game with 40degree heart beaming down.

How many times does it have to sink in to you.AFL fans have been brought up like Nth Koreans,almost a duty to attend and no other sport is worth mentioning.
They have centralised stadiums with far better transport, and a completely different geology and far less traffic problems than Sydney.

NB I've attended NRL games on the GC when on holidays, not even involving my teams, one a semi.I attended a game at the old Seagulls stadium involving the Bulldogs.
I've attended RL tests in the UK.And I caught an extremely bad does of the flu after the final test.
I've attended SOO when it was played at the SFS,got absolutely drenched ,with SFA cover .
Yep I'm full of excuses.
You are a perpetual whinger.Thank Conan the Barbarian,you live in a different time zone.

Billythekid

First Grade

Totally. The storm should be selling out their 30K stadium when the rest of the NRL is averaging around 16K even with the broncos boosting the average and without ever having any away support.

That seems like a totally reasonable expectation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NB I've attended NRL games on the GC when on holidays, not even involving my teams, one a semi.I attended a game at the old Seagulls stadium involving the Bulldogs.
I've attended RL tests in the UK.And I caught an extremely bad does of the flu after the final test.
I've attended SOO when it was played at the SFS,got absolutely drenched ,with SFA cover .
Yep I'm full of excuses.
You are a perpetual whinger.Thank Conan the Barbarian,you live in a different time zone.

Good on you champ, what a super fan you are. If only there were more like you.

taipan

Referee
Good on you champ, what a super fan you are. If only there were more like you.

Proving you can be the most devoted fan, and have decent excuses at times as to being unable to attend.

That's why I understand the casual fans' position .

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Melbourne crowd looks ordinary ..

Probably only 3 nights of the year you need to avoid a Melbourne home game ..

Tonight is 1 of them

Latest posts