What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Draw

papabear

Juniors
Honestly, rugby league is better as a whole, if everyone knows that FNF is going to be an excellent match.

Over time this will generate better ratings and more fans then what the Brisbane broncos FNF will.

Ask yourself when excisting teams are on tv was the league better then when the short term FNF broncos have been.

AJB1102

First Grade
FNF before the Broncos took it over was almost an event. Must watch stuff with family/friends, pizza and FNF.

Now its "who is Brisbane playing tonight and do I have anything better to do?"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep, that Sydney centric attitude when I've never lived there lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
As much as everyone whinged about it we'd be better off having a Qland game 7:30 and a Sydney derby at Allianz or WSS 7:30 every Friday night live into respective states on main channel and live into alternate state on digital channel and both screened live on Fox on different channels. Make them big events with some hype, marketing and great game night experiences.

I enjoy watching broncos games as they are in a decent stadium with a big crowd, but it does get a bit boring and rotating the Friday night game between the 3 (and eventually 4) Qland teams would be better. When cowboys get their new stadium every Qland game will be in a decent venue and hopefully Titans can start filling theirs better.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Good old confirmation bias.

Because your team isn't affected by the change, the change didn't happen lol.

The spread of FTA games 2017 to 2018 is vastly changed. That's a fact, just sucks for you the Knights didn't get to be part of that.

Correct. Why would I give a shit about your team?

BuffaloRules

Coach
As much as everyone whinged about it we'd be better off having a Qland game 7:30 and a Sydney derby at Allianz or WSS 7:30 every Friday night live into respective states on main channel and live into alternate state on digital channel and both screened live on Fox on different channels. Make them big events with some hype, marketing and great game night experiences.

I enjoy watching broncos games as they are in a decent stadium with a big crowd, but it does get a bit boring and rotating the Friday night game between the 3 (and eventually 4) Qland teams would be better. When cowboys get their new stadium every Qland game will be in a decent venue and hopefully Titans can start filling theirs better.

Everyone whinged about it for a reason... No one watched the game not being shown live...

Smith allowed Nine to transfer the other game instead to Thursday night... Im guessing there were more dollars involved although it appears Smith undersold..

To be honest, probably not the worst call he made... No one is going to watch delayed sporting material in 2017.. too many other options...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everyone whinged about it for a reason... No one watched the game not being shown live...

Smith allowed Nine to transfer the other game instead to Thursday night... Im guessing there were more dollars involved although it appears Smith undersold..

To be honest, probably not the worst call he made... No one is going to watch delayed sporting material in 2017.. too many other options...

In that case put them up against each other, one on main channel one on digital and let fans decide which game they would rather watch. Plenty of leagues around the world have two games on at same time being covered by TV. Thursday night is sht and Friday 6pm is sht. The NRL has to be busting its balls to get rid of both ready for 2023.

BuffaloRules

Coach
In that case put them up against each other, one on main channel one on digital and let fans decide which game they would rather watch. Plenty of leagues around the world have two games on at same time being covered by TV. Thursday night is sht and Friday 6pm is sht. The NRL has to be busting its balls to get rid of both ready for 2023.

Smith preferred the money I guess in exchange for shyte crowds on Thursday nights...

Im assuming Nine pays more for two prime time nights then two games on at the same time...

Fox swapped Mon night for Friday 6pm so pick your poison there....

BuffaloRules

Coach
He delivered one half, the money. The Thursday night agreement was shthouse

One half of the below AFL money...although nine did end up wriggling out of a fair chunk of even that...

In hind sight... might have been good to at least engage the other FTA networks... that's how you run a tender process right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn't we get more for our fta component than them?
$925 mill over 5 years nrl
$900 mill over 6 years afl
Yeh the opportunity for them to sell the Saturday night game back to fox was a bit meh but at least we didn't have another excuse for poor crowds on a Saturday night!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Didn't we get more for our fta component than them?
$925 mill over 5 years nrl
$900 mill over 6 years afl
Yeh the opportunity for them to sell the Saturday night game back to fox was a bit meh but at least we didn't have another excuse for poor crowds on a Saturday night!

Isn't Origin alone worth $50 mil a year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Isn't Origin alone worth $50 mil a year?

Is it? I doubt its value has ever been confirmed anywhere officially
.Its funny how when things like origin value are excluded in arguments about why AFL do better than us in tv revenue everyone says its part of the season and is irrelevant as its part of the NRL package, cant have it looking like AFL have more value to TV value than us. Then when someone wants to make a claim AFL did better than NRL, in this case to make Smith look bad, its not included. Got to love "facts" :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shhhh don't mention inconvenient facts to PR

your reference for this "fact"? You really think 3 games over 26 rounds and finals is worth $135mill and origin is worth $50mill to Ch nine? $16.6mill a game for origin? You think Nine can recoup that expenditure?

Seven paid $150mill for two summer and one winter Olympics games. But yeh I'm sure 3 origin games a year are worth similar lol.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Reference I can see for the previous deal is that it would be $30m a year. Which is still significant and quite inconvenient to your relentless pro-AFL argument.

Latest posts