What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Forward Pack

Cold Roses

Juniors
Or Mannering with a prop acting as a lock.

This is my preference for next year at least. We really need to shore up the edge defence on either side of the field, especially given we may have an inexperienced half working with Kata on the left next year. Harris is going to have his hands full there. A lock rotation may offer more penetration with 2 guys in that role. Just need them to jointly match Mannerings solo defensive efforts in the middle.

jaseg

Juniors
This is my preference for next year at least. We really need to shore up the edge defence on either side of the field, especially given we may have an inexperienced half working with Kata on the left next year. Harris is going to have his hands full there. A lock rotation may offer more penetration with 2 guys in that role. Just need them to jointly match Mannerings solo defensive efforts in the middle.

It's my preference too - been bitching about it for 2 years now. Even when Simon has been scoring it's when he drifts wide... it's just his best position.

Buuuut... we've done such a horrific job in getting guys in the door (and retaining the cream that was already here) I'm not sure we've got the ability to field 6 middles of NRL standard. Gavet, Satae, Vete, Lisone, Pulu? Blair? (great - two middle recruits with little go-forward and just overall very concerning workrates... but at least they have an offload, right? because SK has shown a real appreciation for the offload of course...)

It would help if Jazz was being played as a 13 consistently in NSW cup to prep him for a potential takeover there (he has workrate, if not size - and enough footwork to break tackles in the NYC.. but he just hasn't played enough in the middle at even NSW cup to judge him accurately there as to the question of him being able to bring those tackle breaks against a higher standard of opponent), but it seems as though they are content to ignore long term development in favour of just throwing him in wherever fits. Bell isn't the answer.

Jai Arrow still not confirmed as signed by the Titans... hijacking that would be a masterstroke. Throw big money (I mean serious $$$, the kind to make him consider a move), he's worth it if you're moving Simon wide. Huge defensive workload (to help with missing Simon in the middle), but an actual middle going forward - with a fantastic offload.

Reactions: JJ

Cold Roses

Juniors
Buuuut... we've done such a horrific job in getting guys in the door (and retaining the cream that was already here) I'm not sure we've got the ability to field 6 middles of NRL standard. Gavet, Satae, Vete, Lisone, Pulu? Blair?

Afoa could be a good option for lock. Not big enough for prop but played there throughout the juniors. A good off season working on his defence and focus his role for him. The defence will be more demanding physically, but there will be less decision making than wider out in the second row.

jaseg

Juniors
Afoa could be a good option for lock. Not big enough for prop but played there throughout the juniors. A good off season working on his defence and focus his role for him. The defence will be more demanding physically, but there will be less decision making than wider out in the second row.

It likely won't help our go forward much/at all (not much dynamic play in him, not an offloader and doesn't break tackles that often even in the middle), but yep that may well help the team defensively. As you said, he played in the middle in 20s and was a high defensive workrate guy - that could fill 1 of the 6 slots.

Either way they go on Bunty, they need to make a definitive decision about where they see him developing and leave him there - really, it should have been done 2-3 years ago and as a result he's probably a bit behind on his development, but better late than never...

Greg Eastwood is apparently been told to leave Dogs or play reserves on $750k of his back ended contract.
Not sure how much we have, but could we offer $300k to help Bulldogs to take Foran off our hands and they top off the $450k
He fits Kearney's Kiwi plan, only worry is how he slip into the lazy culture we have built.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Why would we give the Dogs anything to take Foran off their hands?

f**k em. Nobody is paying Eastwood 750k. Dogs are going to have to foot a large bill for him to play elsewhere or have a 750k reserve grade hole in their cap.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Forward pack of round 22 so far, for me, is the Raiders. They played really well last night against a good Sharks pack. Wish our team had some of that penetration.

Why would we give the Dogs anything to take Foran off their hands?

f**k em. Nobody is paying Eastwood 750k. Dogs are going to have to foot a large bill for him to play elsewhere or have a 750k reserve grade hole in their cap.
I was meaning if Bulldogs can't free cap space to honor Forans contract, Jim would give Foran another contract here!!!!
We don't want that.

playdaball

Bench
Any 120kg forwards out there in the market?
We need 2.
I've just seen our next 100kg+ forward.
He has played for his country
Is looking to return after being overseas for a few years
He comes from a RL family
Can goal kick
His name...
Piri Weepu - he's playing for Waiarapa Bush and has piled on the weight - looks oks like his bro, Billy, ex Manly prop

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I've just seen our next 100kg+ forward.
He has played for his country
Is looking to return after being overseas for a few years
He comes from a RL family
Can goal kick
His name...
Piri Weepu - he's playing for Waiarapa Bush and has piled on the weight - looks oks like his bro, Billy, ex Manly prop
So you want a rugby union halfback to come and play prop for us?

Leber

Bench
I'd like to see tevaga fully develop as a lock
11 harris
12 mannering
13 tevaga

With one of Afoa, pulu, papali or Sao on the bench

JJ

Immortal
Piss him off.

Probably one of the worst defensive forwards I've seen play for us and that's saying something.
Yep

But on the defence, how can the coaches be immune??? It's just disgraceful stuff which much like fielding in cricket show be straightforward to address

No attack and a shit defence isn't a great process

Blair

Coach
I'd like to see tevaga fully develop as a lock
11 harris
12 mannering
13 tevaga

With one of Afoa, pulu, papali or Sao on the bench

Sao's got a nice off-load, by the way. I saw it at yesterday's NSW Cup game.

Latest posts