What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAZF

First Grade
I award you 10 points. (I don't know what the points are for but you can have them. I can even create a banner for you if you like?)

Annnnyway, not sure how you got condescending out of three dot points, and got your panties in a twist so much it required an essay response where you courageously declared yourself the winner but on we go:

- I'm pretty sure "I have an actual job" is how internet arguments were conducted like 10 years ago. Keep up.
Anyway, here:
Minus 3 points

- Your article is useless for two reasons: 1. it's from July 29 last year; and 2. Retro Round is next week, July 26-29 ("Starts July 23"). This video may help you:
(I was never contending whether it was NRL sanctioned or official, I simply said it's not retro round - and it's not).
Minus 6 points

- I contain no sunshine, so you're wrong there too :shrug:♂️ (I don't even think it's possible to be correct or incorrect there, you were purely putting forward an opinion? So serious).
Minus 1 point

I win (not sure what I win but you lost all 10 points so I guess it's actually a draw?)

Moving on to actual discussion, apparently Canterbury asked to wear the black jersey I posted yesterday but were denied by the NRL. Being the away team the 'Dogs turned up with the away jersey, then remembered they were supposed to be in home, but it was too late to go back and get the home jerseys because they were still at the dry cleaners

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/b...e/news-story/0c9264df48fe7db0dae339cffeb8b282
Score keeping posts go here.

kdalymc

Bench
surely the silly prick whos employed solely to do the washing can pick em up Monday and drop em back off by Tuesday....

Saint Doc

Coach
Was there ever a time when Parra’s home jersey was the yellow? I feel like growing up I definitely had the impression their main and secondary colours were the opposite?

One of the best jersey match ups has been turned into one of the dullest

images

GAZF

First Grade
Was there ever a time when Parra’s home jersey was the yellow? I feel like growing up I definitely had the impression their main and secondary colours were the opposite?

One of the best jersey match ups has been turned into one of the dullest

images
That jersey was, the one before it (when they used navy), and the one before that (blue V yoke on yellow) come to mind.

Saint Doc

Coach
That jersey was, the one before it (when they used navy), and the one before that (blue V yoke on yellow) come to mind.

Thought so.

I don’t know how Parra fans feel, but to me their colours are equal. For many clubs, their jersey is a primary colour (dragons- white; roosters- navy; raiders green) with a clear secondary colour.

For me, Parra (blue/yellow); Broncos (marroon/yellow); storm (navy/purple) - the main and secondary colours are interchangeable in their identity. For that reason, I wish they would just wear their yellow jersey against the dogs every time. Forget digging their heels in about being the home team. It just looks better.

As for the dogs, I know most of you will disagree- I’ve made this point many times and most disagree. But I think the shorts are as important to a clash uniform as the jersey. If Parra stick with a blue jersey vs dogs, dogs should wear their white home jersey but with white shorts.

GAZF

First Grade
Thought so.

I don’t know how Parra fans feel, but to me their colours are equal. For many clubs, their jersey is a primary colour (dragons- white; roosters- navy; raiders green) with a clear secondary colour.

For me, Parra (blue/yellow); Broncos (marroon/yellow); storm (navy/purple) - the main and secondary colours are interchangeable in their identity. For that reason, I wish they would just wear their yellow jersey against the dogs every time. Forget digging their heels in about being the home team. It just looks better.

As for the dogs, I know most of you will disagree- I’ve made this point many times and most disagree. But I think the shorts are as important to a clash uniform as the jersey. If Parra stick with a blue jersey vs dogs, dogs should wear their white home jersey but with white shorts.
ALL teams should have interchangeable shorts/socks for this purpose. Keep teams wearing their main designs where possible but give a bit of wiggle room for unavoidable clashes.

GAZF

First Grade
This is probably as good a time as any to throw this out there. I've been working on-off on a systematic way to check for clashes without human bias. The idea came up when Penrith and Souths had a pretty bad clash earlier in the year but Thursday night's game was just as bad if not worse, not by fault of the NRL however. I haven't been home much to work on any design work this year but have access to Excel so this has sadly been how I've been spending the occasional lunch break at work.

Its mainly focused on colour luminosity, as I made reference to in this thread yesterday. The colour luminosity is compared using a contrast ratio (more here). If two colours don't have a contrast ratio above a set limit, then it fails the test. I've also included a couple of other colour properties (hue, saturation) as well as taking into account contrasting uniform patterns that act as 'modifiers' to the raise or lower the contrast ratio limit. In other words its nerd shit, and it goes a step beyond the typical analysis in this thread in an effort to provide an objective comparison (although there is subjectivity in setting up the rules for 'contrast').

If anyone's interested in having a look, PM me and I can provide a link. I want to go to the NRL with this when I feel its ready but feedback from people here would be great as there are still some kinks to iron out, particularly with regards to possibly simplifying the comparisons, adjusting limits and modifiers, and (if anyone is really keen) to check for errors .

I've included a drop down selector to compare the home/away uniforms for all teams this year for people to play with as its much quicker than entering team design properties manually.

And @Saint Doc, the pic of the Eels vs Dogs you were referring to failed the check based on the current rules. If you can view that pic in greyscale you'll see why.

Saint Doc

Coach
This is probably as good a time as any to throw this out there. I've been working on-off on a systematic way to check for clashes without human bias. The idea came up when Penrith and Souths had a pretty bad clash earlier in the year but Thursday night's game was just as bad if not worse, not by fault of the NRL however. I haven't been home much to work on any design work this year but have access to Excel so this has sadly been how I've been spending the occasional lunch break at work.

Its mainly focused on colour luminosity, as I made reference to in this thread yesterday. The colour luminosity is compared using a contrast ratio (more here). If two colours don't have a contrast ratio above a set limit, then it fails the test. I've also included a couple of other colour properties (hue, saturation) as well as taking into account contrasting uniform patterns that act as 'modifiers' to the raise or lower the contrast ratio limit. In other words its nerd shit, and it goes a step beyond the typical analysis in this thread in an effort to provide an objective comparison (although there is subjectivity in setting up the rules for 'contrast').

If anyone's interested in having a look, PM me and I can provide a link. I want to go to the NRL with this when I feel its ready but feedback from people here would be great as there are still some kinks to iron out, particularly with regards to possibly simplifying the comparisons, adjusting limits and modifiers, and (if anyone is really keen) to check for errors .

I've included a drop down selector to compare the home/away uniforms for all teams this year for people to play with as its much quicker than entering team design properties manually.

And @Saint Doc, the pic of the Eels vs Dogs you were referring to failed the check based on the current rules. If you can view that pic in greyscale you'll see why.

That is awesome. I’ve got a busy week this week but would be happy to have a look after that. Sounds brilliant. This would force the NRL to be more stringent on designs too. Too many teams don’t have adequate clash jerseys due to such similar colours. Titans away to cronulla is always hard on the eyes

Zerô

Juniors
What do folk here think about red being a dark or light colour (when paired with another dark colour)?

kdalymc

Bench
f**k me every team might as well be black, and wear white when away then.

Note- not a dig at you Gazf cos you’ve been good to me.

GAZF

First Grade
f**k me every team might as well be black, and wear white when away then.
You're focusing on the negatives. The aim of the project was not to restrict the number of colours used overall but to clear up what colours provide acceptable contrast and where things like white clash uniforms can be avoided.

Take a game between Canberra and Souths in Canberra for example. Raiders have dibs on their home jersey for the game. The NRL currently deems that Souths' home jersey (predominantly green) does not provide an adequate clash so they go with a white clash jersey. Comparing lime green vs (forest) green and vs white on a contrast ratio basis (the biggest influencer in what I'm proposing):
  • Lime green vs forest green: 3.7
  • Lime green vs white: 1.4
So based on just this metric (there are other factors to take into consideration), the two teams are better off playing in their home uniforms. This is exactly your preference if I understand correctly. There are cases where this system would go against the "common sense" rule (the Dogs/Eels pic from Saint Doc a few posts above for example) but the idea is to remove as much bias as possible when making these judgements. In addition, if tied in with alternate shorts/socks, the rules may be relaxed a bit for jersey contrast which further pushes the status quo to where you would prefer it.

What do folk here think about red being a dark or light colour (when paired with another dark colour)?
Pure red (close to St. George's red) vs white has a contrast ratio of 4
Pure red vs black has a contrast ratio of 5.3
Black contrasts better in this case but is dependent on what shade of red is used. There is decent flexibility in red being both a dark and a light colour under the right circumstances.

I've always wondered what effect playing in an 'away' or 'alternate' jersey does to the psyche of a player. Does it take away from the 'pride in the jersey' mentality and make them not feel as proud to pull on the jumper and play their hearts out as much as they would their classic club kit.

Obviously this'd be more aimed towards a young junior pulling on the St.George iconic Red V or the Souths hoops of the Roosters Tri Colours, less so than a Titans player lets say. But it's something I've always wondered if it messes with their head space a bit esp when they're repping such an iconic jersey and then have to pull on a sub par imitation that might not even reflect club colours.

Saint Doc

Coach
I've always wondered what effect playing in an 'away' or 'alternate' jersey does to the psyche of a player. Does it take away from the 'pride in the jersey' mentality and make them not feel as proud to pull on the jumper and play their hearts out as much as they would their classic club kit.

Obviously this'd be more aimed towards a young junior pulling on the St.George iconic Red V or the Souths hoops of the Roosters Tri Colours, less so than a Titans player lets say. But it's something I've always wondered if it messes with their head space a bit esp when they're repping such an iconic jersey and then have to pull on a sub par imitation that might not even reflect club colours.

I think they give zero f**ks to be honest.

Sure, maybe there is the odd player, maybe a junior, who is still deeply passionate about the jersey.

But when you see Josh Reynolds at the Tigers, BMoz at Dogs, Farah at Souths, Cronk at th Roosters etc etc, it’s hard to believe any of them truly care about an away jersey vs a home jersey.

It think it’s a fan thing

Status
Not open for further replies.