What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Johnsy

Referee
Thanks for your rock solid support faceless champ. I'm sure you would be good in the trenches! The points I make are very valid. Timmah is for whatever reason having a go at me? And its happened on a few occasions and out of line as well. But hey thats what it is. Amazing in a public forum too?! Very touchy lately! Have a good new year anyway genuine rugby league fans!
faceless, good in the trenches. FMD o_O

2017-red1.jpg

2017-blue1.jpg

https://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/rugby/rugby-league/sheffield-eagles-rlfc.html

jer-back_1_15.jpg
jer-front_1_15.jpg

https://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/rugby/rugby-league/lyon-villeurbanne-rl.html

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Correct.

The grey was just an alternate colour - first introduced to our new 1998 logo, then onto the away jersey in 1999. Nothing to do with any sponsor at all as far as I remember. Thankfully it disappeared within a year or two.

It's a gimmick jersey for a gimmick event - every club including yours had one. Singling us out for it is ridiculous.

The reason it probably has the NRL logo on it is because a decision was made to put it into production despite the Nines cancellation, and they couldn't put a Nines logo on it with no Nines event, so they banged the NRL logo on it instead.

As for the Super League design, my understanding is that the club didn't necessarily care all that much about jersey designs during the Mortimer-Noad eras, and just stuck with what Nike put to them.

What sponsor did we add silver (really grey tbh) for?

Definitely agree re: the 2014 jersey, although for me the chevrons sat too high. Problem with the question "no idea why they changed it" is because barely any club keeps the same design for more than a couple of seasons (even the Dragons' Red V has had multiple variants over the past 10 years).

Pardon me Timmah, you're correct, you didn't add in grey for a sponsor at all, a Bulldogs fan I know always blames Stardome for that grey addition but turns out he was wrong on that and I regurgitated his sentiment. Sorry about that, but as you said it got thrown in as a secondary colour in the 1998 logo and then an away jersey in 1998/9 if I'm not mistaken?

Sorry, didn't mean to single you guys out at all, was just a reply to the gimmick dogs jersey which brought up me thinking how classic the bulldogs brand can be and I remember thinking that their '14 strip was perfect! It's a shame that Mortimer and Noad didn't care to much about jersey design in the super league era as I think the Bulldogs jersey from the 70s and 80s could have become iconic in todays game much like St.George, East and Souths, which is why I liked '14 strip so much. I'm just a sucker for a classic jersey. Makes me glad that St.George never went over to Super League as our Red V would have been history.

Yeh, sadly out Red V has been butchered again this season, I think ISC nailed it last year, I know it was small but I loved how it was complete and went to a full point, hate seeing it cut in half to accommodate a sponsor. Although in saying that 2005 was our worst.

That's the one I was thinking of. Horrible jersey, but sadly with the need of the 'away jersey' in todays game a lot of teams who don't have a secondary colour have had to resort to one, even at St.George all of our off field gear is now black and red and before that we've seen lots of grey, despite having two of the most iconic colours in sport.

All out off field stuff looks like left over North Sydney Bears tops

Saint Doc

Coach
Yeh, sadly out Red V has been butchered again this season, I think ISC nailed it last year, I know it was small but I loved how it was complete and went to a full point, hate seeing it cut in half to accommodate a sponsor. Although in saying that 2005 was our worst.

Our worst red v was probably the last ever stand alone jersey. The ‘97/98 jersey was almost a flat line across the chest it was so shallow

img_9801_000.jpg

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

Hull FC NSW tour shirt.
I like the design but I can’t help but think it would be better to just wear the home shirt to try and build brand awareness.

Saint Doc

Coach

Hull FC NSW tour shirt.
I like the design but I can’t help but think it would be better to just wear the home shirt to try and build brand awareness.

This argument could be used for every single away, alternate, 9’s, preseason, Indigenous, charity awareness, Magic Weekend, WIL etc jersey we’ve ever seen.

At least the jersey looks good!

Pommy

Coach
This argument could be used for every single away, alternate, 9’s, preseason, Indigenous, charity awareness, Magic Weekend, WIL etc jersey we’ve ever seen.

At least the jersey looks good!

Yes and no.
Most of those shirts you mentioned aren’t being used in a different market.
Not sure why they have labeled it an NSW tour with the green and gold, Australian tour (even with both games in NSW) would make more sense.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They're travelling to Australia. Instantly more recognisable and understood than NSW or blue.

GAZF

First Grade
Gee that would make a great Parra Jersey. My only complaint is the side panels. Having the blue bars travel around the middle of the jersey uninterrupted would look schmick.
The number would sit oddly on the stripe if kept the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts