What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
The Knights' most popular playing strip is and always has been the Henny-Penny/BP stripe with the inconsistent horizontal stripes between a blue and red panel

View attachment 16899

Beg to differ. I know the marketing people at the Knights shop and the most popular style jumper is the blue and red vertical stripe version by far! Its daylight second in that comparison. That 1997 strip is a special and historical jumper that should be used to galvanise current fans and attract new ones to the Knights fold. Looks like another marketing mistake is on its way!

flippikat

Bench
Beg to differ. I know the marketing people at the Knights shop and the most popular style jumper is the blue and red vertical stripe version by far! Its daylight second in that comparison. That 1997 strip is a special and historical jumper that should be used to galvanise current fans and attract new ones to the Knights fold. Looks like another marketing mistake is on its way!

The Knights and Panthers are similar in that regard.

A change of jersey coincided with their first premiership, and their respective fans hold that "first premiership" jersey as the iconic club shirt because of that.

Sure there's Penrith fans that like the 'Chocolate Soldiers' kits of old.. maybe because they represent the decades of hard graft building towards 1991 - but the overwhelming reaction to the allsorts jersey dwarfs that.

Stallion

First Grade
The Knights and Panthers are similar in that regard.

A change of jersey coincided with their first premiership, and their respective fans hold that "first premiership" jersey as the iconic club shirt because of that.

Sure there's Penrith fans that like the 'Chocolate Soldiers' kits of old.. maybe because they represent the decades of hard graft building towards 1991 - but the overwhelming reaction to the allsorts jersey dwarfs that.

Dont think Penrith have ever nutted down a jumper that's really their's. Many times I've been confused when watching the Warriors or Panthers on tv in the past decade. That is not a good sign for recognition of a club in a competitive market place. Imagine a new fan trying to work out what team.is playing? Not good. The Knights vertical blue and red striped jumper is very unique and identifiable in the league. Maintaining your fanbase through familiarity and visible recognition is an asset in these competitive days of the sports dollar and harnessing fan loyalty.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
I’d be happy for a knights change.

I may have missed a season or two but in my mind, the progression of knights jerseys went from this:

48149.jpg

To 1997 premiership

1997knights_front.png

To Adelaide Rams / 2001 premiership

newcastle-knights-home-shirt-2001-2003-s_1140_1.jpg

To this terrible abomination of a jersey (followed by a very similar plain blue with red piping)

f2a9fcf0228870fdbad759c518be5eb6--rugby-league-newcastle.jpg

Followed by the lowest of low

newcastle-knights-home-shirt-2011-s_3258_1.jpg

And then a return to the 1997 stripes. But those stripes have now won 3 straight wooden spoons, and have been through depressing Bennett/tinkler years, going into administration, Alex McKinnon.

I think a new look for 2-3 years could be good, then return to the vertical stripes. I think something inspired by, but not necessarily replica of, the first two strips is the way to go. But nothing cartoonish or Titans-esque

Saint Doc

Coach
Haha and no sooner had I posted the above I thought hmm...wonder if @GAZF has any knights designs.

3C8740EB-5BEB-47C3-8C34-E0D85662F20B.jpg

This is exactly what I was thinking...an iconic modernised jersey inspired by history but not bound to it. Shouldn’t have wasted my time with that post, should have just googled gazf from the start

flippikat

Bench
Dont think Penrith have ever nutted down a jumper that's really their's.

I honestly think Superleague was the origin of Penrith's identity crisis. In an ideal world, they would've stuck with the allsorts jersey (or at least black/white with red/green/yellow trim) from 1991 to today - but the move to Superleague forced them to ditch a very successful design, and they lost direction from there.

Similar story with the other Superleague clubs - 1997 landed them with horrible templated designs, and even after they ditched that look (1999 or so) it took a while for them to return to their iconic designs.

Stallion

First Grade
Haha and no sooner had I posted the above I thought hmm...wonder if @GAZF has any knights designs.

This is exactly what I was thinking...an iconic modernised jersey inspired by history but not bound to it. Shouldn’t have wasted my time with that post, should have just googled gazf from the start

I refer to your description of the 'terrible abomination of a jersey ' comment. That is what is at-risk with another crap jumper design . Just like the three styles that followed the 1997 jumper. I believe the Knights will have a successful season this year and this blue and red vertical striped jumper will sell very well. It will be a shame with such momentum that another version comes in after an image of rebuilding has been achieved with the clubs most recognisable and popular jumper version.

Last edited:

cooko

Juniors
The red and white jersey the knights wore in 2008 for the centenary of league would look cool in red and blue and would in some ways represent their past going forwards.

macavity

Referee
? That's flawed logic. And in an earlier post you refer to the Knights 'ruining' the strip?
A loyal fan would follow the well known and familiar jumper through thick and thin. Don't think you get it champ.

don't appreciate my loyalty being questioned, champ.

That blue and red striped jumper is synonymous with the Knights first premiership win. You have not noted that the support for Knights waned with the change to the 'superleague style' jumper in 1999 or 2000?.

I didn't note it because I don't accept your premise.

The Knights win a premiership in a year or two (2001) but were nowhere near as well supported.

I was at the game and amongst the 20,000 plus at 3am at Marathon after the game. This is absolute bullshit.

An erosion of this clubs support coincided with the 'superleague ' jumper look despite being successful.

The "erosion of this clubs support" occurred when Tinkler burnt half the town. We still had huge crowds through our spoon in 2005 FFS.

The jumper style had a fair bit to do with that drop in popularity.

another ridiculous assertion with no facts to back it up.

Had the blue and red striped version been worn I believe alot more people would have warmed to the Knights 2nd premiership.The look of a playing strip maybe simplistic but is very real when galvanising loyal supporters and attracting new fans.

And two more to end.

Stallion

First Grade
Wouldn't be surprised to see a move to vertical stripes.

Love Gazf's design though. Instant classic. Please send that to the club @GAZF

Lol. Champ! You dingbat! You havent had the decency to refer to your initial post ? Re: "ruined the 'Barca' strip"etc. Lol. On top of that my loyalty comment was a general comment . Not addressed to you. I don't know what you did! All I've noted is an insecere comment not consistent with your initial "ruined Barca strip" post! And that's a fact!
Are you aware of how many Novocastrians were lining the streets and at the Civic reception in 1997? Their was 100000 in Civic park for the Civic reception! You read what you will . My comments are purely based on the positive effects of a well established and popular jumper compared to the poor styles that have been used since the 1st premiership winning jumper. Thankfully that jumper is in vogue again. As quoted from Knightshop staff information.:"the marketing people had made a mistake going away from the 1997 jumper". Not my words their words. It reflected in the reduced popularity and loyalty toward the club over those years.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
I have heard whispers somewhere a while ago (genuinely don't remember where though now unfortunately) that whenever Newcastle bring out a new 'main' jersey, it will be a take on the original design, but not a complete re-creation.

While my favourite jersey of all time was the Knights original jersey design (well, more in particular, their ever-so slightly tweaked 1994-1996 version ... there was more red up top and the blue was a shade darker), and it is a very unique design, I think it'll be a shame when the day comes when they move on (again!) from the current vertical stripes design.

GAZF

First Grade

Wouldn't be surprised to see a move to vertical stripes.

Love Gazf's design though. Instant classic. Please send that to the club @GAZF
I can't see the image but if its the one I'm thinking of (V style design on an actual player), its not mine.

And vertical bars are the Knights best look imo, has a heraldic feel to them.

Saint Doc

Coach
I can't see the image but if its the one I'm thinking of (V style design on an actual player), its not mine.

And vertical bars are the Knights best look imo, has a heraldic feel to them.

Ahh right you are, sorry I google image searched your name and jersey designs, and a few of your designs came up, but didn’t notice the source website for the one I posted had changed. Your knights designs are excellent, but the ones I could see were fairly faithful replicas of the original Henny Penny strip or the vertical stripes. I do like that this one is a modern twist on a classic. Here is the source link so I can properly credit the designer

Gazf if the knights were to keep the vertical stripes, how do you think the design could be freshened for a couple of years. Would very skinny or very fat stripes work?

The other idea, whilst a “new design” for the knights, but I always thought their colours would suit a quartered design. Similar to this, but just red and blue

Bash1_b0ca2e36-db5a-4efe-914a-148c50f56bf8_large.PNG

GAZF

First Grade
Ahh right you are, sorry I google image searched your name and jersey designs, and a few of your designs came up, but didn’t notice the source website for the one I posted had changed. Your knights designs are excellent, but the ones I could see were fairly faithful replicas of the original Henny Penny strip or the vertical stripes. I do like that this one is a modern twist on a classic. Here is the source link so I can properly credit the designer

Gazf if the knights were to keep the vertical stripes, how do you think the design could be freshened for a couple of years. Would very skinny or very fat stripes work?

The other idea, whilst a “new design” for the knights, but I always thought their colours would suit a quartered design. Similar to this, but just red and blue

Bash1_b0ca2e36-db5a-4efe-914a-148c50f56bf8_large.PNG
I have a completed Knights design thats midway between the current vertical stripes and the 2001 premiers design (vertical stripes with a taper). I just haven't had time to post anything of late though.

The Knight's colours would work with a quartered jersey though the positioning of where the four quarters meets is about where you usually put a sponsor.

Canard

Immortal
Lol. Champ! You dingbat! You havent had the decency to refer to your initial post ? Re: "ruined the 'Barca' strip"etc. Lol. On top of that my loyalty comment was a general comment . Not addressed to you. I don't know what you did! All I've noted is an insecere comment not consistent with your initial "ruined Barca strip" post! And that's a fact!
Are you aware of how many Novocastrians were lining the streets and at the Civic reception in 1997? Their was 100000 in Civic park for the Civic reception! You read what you will . My comments are purely based on the positive effects of a well established and popular jumper compared to the poor styles that have been used since the 1st premiership winning jumper. Thankfully that jumper is in vogue again. As quoted from Knightshop staff information.:"the marketing people had made a mistake going away from the 1997 jumper". Not my words their words. It reflected in the reduced popularity and loyalty toward the club over those years.

WTF is this insane ramble?

Saint Doc

Coach
I have a completed Knights design thats midway between the current vertical stripes and the 2001 premiers design (vertical stripes with a taper). I just haven't had time to post anything of late though.

Would be keen to see that. Sounds interesting

Groth

Juniors
For me the Knights need to stick with the verticles, they are just as important as the colours red & blue.. the fact they can easily have the same design for home & away is a no brainer. Follow in the roosters footsteps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts