What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 world cup bid would help league

BrisVegas

Juniors
I would suggest the following venues to be used (and updated) assuming Sydney is the city that has the 2 grounds.

ANZ Stadium (temporary seating added if need be)
Telstra Dome (Capacity upgraded to 60,000)
Suncorp Stadium (Capacity perminantly upgraded to 60,000)
The SFS
Energy Australia Stadium (Redeveloped to a 40k all-seater)
Canberra (Redeveloped to a 40k all-seater, possibly downgraded to 30-35k afterwards)
Skilled Park (Redeveloped to a 40k seater)
Dairy Farmers Stadium (Redeveloped to a 40k all seater, possible enclosed roof)
Adelaide (New Stadium they are talking about building)
Perth (New 60k Stadium)

ANZ Stadium would host the Final, Telstra Dome and Suncorp the Semi-Finals.

Coming out of the World Cup we could have the Cowboys, Titans, Knights and Raiders playing out of completely re-developed stadia, all capable of hosting Preliminary Finals.

fish eel

Immortal
One would think that it would be a tussle between sydney and Melbourne for the city with 2 stadia.

But how would the bid work out? Who would win that right?

And if not melbourne, in that their oval stadia counted against them (lets face it, no world cup in a LONGG time has had an oval stadium as the main stadium) would that mean a new rectangular stadium in melbourne?

Or would they just use the G?

the final in berlin in 2006 was played in a round stadium.

and the third place playoff in Stuttgart was also played in a round stadium.

how do you figure?

we already have more than half the stadiums required.

Suncorp
SFS
ANZ
EAS (upgrade coming)
Perth (coming)
Telstra dome

Canberra ( easy upgrade)
Gold coast ( easy upgrade)

Will these upgrades make them 40k seat stadia though? In case of the last two, are they easy upgrades considering they have to be nearly doubled seating wise?

I figure we need about 10 (at least) stadiums looking at past cups so a couple of new ones would have to be built too. I just can't see the money coming. Don't get me wrong I would love it here and it would be beneficial for league too.
But as I said earlier, FIFA are in no rush to come here and there are soccer mad countries who have been asking for the cup a lot longer than we have. Brazil, 5 times winners are more deserving for starters.

fish eel

Immortal
Will these upgrades make them 40k seat stadia though? In case of the last two, are they easy upgrades considering they have to be nearly doubled seating wise?

I figure we need about 10 (at least) stadiums looking at past cups so a couple of new ones would have to be built too. I just can't see the money coming. Don't get me wrong I would love it here and it would be beneficial for league too.
But as I said earlier, FIFA are in no rush to come here and there are soccer mad countries who have been asking for the cup a lot longer than we have. Brazil, 5 times winners are more deserving for starters.

Timbo

Staff member
You need ten stadiums, in 9 seperate cities.

Minimum capacity has to be 40,000 (60,000 for semis, final and 3PP).

Ovals are not excluded entirely, but rectangles are preferred.

So as it stands, we have:

Sydney:

-ANZ
-SFS
-SCG

Brisbane:

-Suncorp
-QEII

Melbourne:

-MCG (as noted above, does not quite meet FIFA regulations, as a certain portion of the seats are too far away)
-Telstra Dome
-New Melbourne Rectangular (yes, I am aware that it's being built to 33,500 capacity,
however it was designed to be expandable to 50,000 if necessary)

Adelaide:

-AAMI Stadium

Perth:

-Subiaco
-Stadium WA (estimated date of completion: 2018)

Newcastle:

-EAS (when upgrades complete)

--------------------------------

A few obstacles:

Somebody mentioned the bid helping to get Adelaide a stadium. Check out that idiot Wrann's (SA premier) recent statements. The moron thinks AAMI is a venue acceptable to FIFA.

Also, whilst the occasional oval is acceptable, they'd probably knock us back on the grounds that potentially half our grounds are going to be ovals.

Finally, I don't know if anybody realised this, FIFA requires all WC venues to be unused for a month prior the event (to rest the pitch) and for as long as they are required. This means we'd be without many of our stadiums (as would the AFL) for up to 8-10 weeks in the heart of football season.

Finally, I don't know if anybody realised this, FIFA requires all WC venues to be unused for a month prior the event (to rest the pitch) and for as long as they are required. This means we'd be without many of our stadiums (as would the AFL) for up to 8-10 weeks in the heart of football season.

That's a bugger. You'd have to think that the majority of players are based in Europe so FIFA would run it in their off season making it winter here.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
10 stadiums with at least 40k capacity in 9 cities are the minimum requriements.

I believe that 60k is the minimum capacity for the semis.

EAS, Skilled Park, Darry Farmers, New Melbourne Stadium would be upgraded.

This is exciting stuff for Australian Football and RL! :D

Timbo

Staff member
That's a bugger. You'd have to think that the majority of players are based in Europe so FIFA would run it in their off season making it winter here.

Yeah well, it doesn't really matter when it is I guess. The WC supersedes everything else.

Wouldn't be such a drama for the NRL - league teams at the big stadiums can easily go elsewhere for 10 weeks (Teams that use Telstra to Parra Stadium or the Showground, Brisbane could go to Ballymore, etc).

It'll royally f**k the AFL though.

Timbo

Staff member

Good. Rather see my NRL and AFL teams running around rather than a bunch of soccer divers to be honest. Do not want any interference to our sporting season's.

Heaven forbid we have millions of tourism dollars injected into the economy.

mattyg

Bench
Sydney - ANZ Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium
Melbourne - Telstra Dome
Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium
Perth - New 60k Seater
Gold Coast - Skilled Park (upgraded to 40k)
Newcastle - EnergyAustralia Stadium (upgraded to 40k)
Townsville - Dairy Farmers Stadium (upgraded to 40k)
Canberra - Canberra Stadium (upgraded to 40k)
Central Coast - BlueTongue Stadium (upgraded to whatever)
Adelaide - AAMI Stadium

thats a few I can think of

Raider Ultra

Bench
Then put it on after the Grand Finals, not before

You really are a stupid merkin of mammoth proportions. Firstly, this would not inject millions into the economy, rather billions. Secondly, do you think FIFA is going to move the dates of the biggest sporting event in the world to fit in with league and AFL? Hahaha.

Then put it on after the Grand Finals, not before

Mate, it's great that you love your footy but this would do so much good for the country as well as RL with more dedicated rectangular stadiums being built for example. Nothing gets in the way of the World Cup including our beloved game. The IOC for example, fall over themselves begging FIFA to allow soccer games to be played in the Olympics. That's how big it is.
After all that, I still don't think we'll get it. I just don't think a small country like ours is a priority for FIFA and I can't see where all the moneys coming from.
I really hope we get it though.

Heaven forbid we have millions of tourism dollars injected into the economy.

I don't doubt the importance of hosting a World Cup and how RL could benefit from it. I just don't think we'll get cos I think there's far too many soccer mad nations who would get it before we do. Being a small country I don't think were as important to the FIFA as some others. I think the UK for example would feel entitled to get the cup before we do.
Hope I'm really wrong on this one however.

Latest posts