What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Squad

Dea

Juniors
Aitkin V Lomax.

Aitkin was never a serious contender for SOO because of his inability to pass the ball and his defensive problems. Lomax was a player for the future and the future has arrived. Give him the jersey and set him free to see what he can do. Showed enough these last few weeks with attacking footwork and skills (great kick while running to set up a try vs Broncos) plus defensive ability for him to be brought in and given a real crack to help us score tries.

Aitkin... like a few hookers we’ve had in the past, we used them in the team cause they were here but once we let them go we discovered that we are better without them.

Latimore wasn’t mentioned in the team but I think he is signed for 2019? Likely in the mix for a bench spot?

ALSGI

Bench
Aitkin V Lomax.

Aitkin was never a serious contender for SOO because of his inability to pass the ball and his defensive problems. Lomax was a player for the future and the future has arrived. Give him the jersey and set him free to see what he can do. Showed enough these last few weeks with attacking footwork and skills (great kick while running to set up a try vs Broncos) plus defensive ability for him to be brought in and given a real crack to help us score tries.

Aitkin... like a few hookers we’ve had in the past, we used them in the team cause they were here but once we let them go we discovered that we are better without them.

Latimore wasn’t mentioned in the team but I think he is signed for 2019? Likely in the mix for a bench spot?
This time last year I said Nighty shouldn’t be in the team if they’re serious.

Latimore shouldn’t be anywhere near the bench next year if they’re serious. K.Sims, Lawrie, with Leilua and a utility imo. Latimore has been a good fill in while waiting for Mary to grow a set (through injuries). He was signed as a back up and should only be used as a back up if nobody else is available.

The fact that Aitken doesn’t seem to fit anywhere atm is a good thing imo. He needs to rediscover himself and force his way back in. There should be some genuine competition for spots in the pre season and Lafai for one will be looking over his shoulder.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The off-season will sort all of this out however, I have seen Lomax play football a few times in the lower grades. He was a standout playing that position and I believe he was being considered along with Field and Dufty for the fullback position in 2018.

I like the idea of having big wingers and so, I hope we can sign Oats for 2019 and beyond. Pereira is a very good backup winger but in my opinion not a first grade fullback.

Oats is not coming

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Matt Dufty has his problems this season under the high ball and in defence.

Would not be surprised if Mary trials several players for the fullback role including Field, Lomax and Mann.

Lomax has good hands under the high ball but lacks the turbo speed fullbacks need these days.

Both Lomax and Mann are much better defenders.

Field has similar speed to Dufty and similar defensive capabilities.

All of them are capable link men.

Next year will be an important year for all 4 of them.
i hope all you DUFTY critics watched the broncos match .not many mistakes and what about that take where NENE got penalized outstanding,yes he needs to be better , but give him a chance he has many good traits ,just needs someone pushing him in the correct methods and im sure he will improve .rome wasnt built in a day ................ ...........

i hope all you DUFTY critics watched the broncos match .not many mistakes and what about that take where NENE got penalized outstanding,yes he needs to be better , but give him a chance he has many good traits ,just needs someone pushing him in the correct methods and im sure he will improve .rome wasnt built in a day ................ ...........

You seem to imply I am critical of Mat Dufty's performance this season.

What I said is 100% correct. Mat did have problems under the high ball and his defence was often mediocre to ordinary. I didn't say he won't or can't improve his game.

What I did say is that I believe there is a chance that Mary will trial other players as potential fullbacks.

Competition is healthy OD and should be embraced.

Under Mary and Price, a number of players have taken jerseys home from day 1 of pre-season and never had to perform because these coaches simply don't drop incumbents. That to me is a massive problem.

But for injuries guys like Lomax, Lawrie and Leilua would still be picking splinters out of their backsides.

As a club we should select the best possible team. Mat is an attacking weapon, no doubt about it.

Is he good enough to wear the number 1 jersey in 2019 ? Time will tell.

BLM01

First Grade

What I said is 100% correct. Mat did have problems under the high ball and his defence was often mediocre to ordinary. I didn't say he won't or can't improve his game.

What I did say is that I believe there is a chance that Mary will trial other players as potential fullbacks.

Under Mary and Price, a number of players have taken jerseys home from day 1 of pre-season and never had to perform because these coaches simply don't drop incumbents. That to me is a massive problem.

But for injuries guys like Lomax, Lawrie and Leilua would still be picking splinters out of their backsides.

As a club we should select the best possible team. Mat is an attacking weapon, no doubt about it.

Yes he is and good enough this year with weaknesss to work on. (Defense, high ball, attacking the line straight). The 3 you mentioned. Field is far worse a defender and under a high ball at fullback than Dufty. Lomax no fullback - centre forever. Mann is not a fullback and had some chances. 2 of them could back up Dufty but he is our best option by far as long as he improves those defiencies you mention. Good coaching and enforce strict guidelines on how much he has to work on them in the off season. Dragons already know this. If he cant improve (but I bet he will) then he will slip quietly out the back door to reserves and park footy.

Overseas dragon

Juniors

well said .and if dufty does not pull his socks up lets try some others at full back ...........even floating widdop there in defence maybe and 5/8 in attack might be a goer ......

possm

Coach
Back up winger? He did a fantastic job. Wake up Possm. In your opinion you still back Dufty? Name one team with an inept FB that would take him on. Just one.
If I had to choose between Pereira and Oats I would choose Oats every day of the week. If I had to choose between Pereira and Aitken on the wing, I would choose Pereira every day of the week.

If possible, in 2019 I'd like to see a team of;
1. Lomax
2. Macdonald
3. Herbert
4. Lafai
5. Oats
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Frizell
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T Sims
13. De Belin

14. K Sims
15. Graham
16. Host
17. Robson/Mann

Dufty, Aitken, Field, Latimore, Laurie, Kerr and other potentials all to play ISP and put pressure on the NRL team.

Life's Good

Coach
I think 2019 looks promising and we will be in most top 8 predictions. Expectations will certainly be higher than they were this year.

Notwithstanding any other new recruits the team for 2019 imo looks like :

1. Dufty
2. MacDonald
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Periera

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizzell
12. T. Sims
13. JDB

14. Lielua
15. K. Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Mann

18. Field
19. Robson
20. Host
21. Aitken/Herbert/Ravalawa

The 13 look great and is top 4 quality imo.

It’s the 14-21 that will be the key to a successful season (trying hard not to talk about coaching here).

There has to be a forwards rotation from the start to cover inevitable injuries and with Friz, Vaughan and T.Sims likely for SOO.

Same with our halves. Inevitable injuries to Widdop and or Hunt who is also likely for SOO. Mann is not an 80min half imo. Field needs to be rotated in these roles from the start. We need someone that can kick, create and set up backs to cover 6&7. Mann is a very good player, good impact covering just about anywhere, especially 2-5. Perfect utility.

McInnes get’s bagged a lot but can’t be expected to keep up his workload and be a creative 9. Robson needs to be rotated in this role from the start and could be a good utility aswell.

Aitken? Will provide pressure on Lafai? Just don’t know where he fits atm.

I don't mind the look of this side. I would look at a couple of things depending on some player movements:

If MacDonald goes I would have Mann on the wing in his place
Host comes into the 17 in place of Mann on the bench

I would go with a 4 forward bench because if we insist on a 'power game' then you need to be able to shuffle the forwards accordingly. That is, of course, if they get a run off the bench which isn't always the case.

Its a good point about McInnes. He has a high workload which takes it out of him. An ideal scenario is a rotation with Robson but that means you are carrying a small forward on the bench which doesn't suit the whole forward dominated game we like to play. It puts into perspective the value we got out of Dean Young who would play back row and then slot into DH to give Fein a rest.

Decisions, decisions.

BLM01

First Grade
I think wishing for Oates to come might be pie in the sky stuff. Just wont happen. With plenty of clubs to chose from that want him and if Bennett stays i think for 2019 he will sign with Brisbane. I've been wrong before..but

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Matt Dufty has his problems this season under the high ball and in defence.

Would not be surprised if Mary trials several players for the fullback role including Field, Lomax and Mann.

Lomax has good hands under the high ball but lacks the turbo speed fullbacks need these days.

Both Lomax and Mann are much better defenders.

Field has similar speed to Dufty and similar defensive capabilities.

All of them are capable link men.

Next year will be an important year for all 4 of them.

This post is bang on in so many ways:

Unfortunately though, Mann will never be considered for the fullback role ever again.

And I’m glad to see someone who has the insight to notice that for a back, Lomax just does not possess speed nor agility.

All you say is true except he still only produces "rocks and diamonds" performances.
He has already played 30 odd first grade games and I for one do not see any significant improvement since he came into FG.
Still horribly suspect under the high ball and defence is suspect although there are signs of improvement.
The bench mark is someone like Michael Gordon.
Consummate professional, makes very few mistakes knows when to chime into the backline and link. Scores plenty of tries and is a deadly accurate goalkicker.
If Dufty was being mentored by someone like Gordon, I would say he has a good chance of developing his game but who at our club can teach him to be a top line fullback?? Hornby?
I don't think we have anyone.
I also believe it would be a big mistake to just reserve the coveted #1 Jersey for Dufty.
I prefer to look at all options and make him earn that spot. If he's good enough, he will develop and improve.
Lomax, Widdop and even Mann should all be considered as options.
FB is too important.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Subjectively speaking, I feel the positions on fullback, left wing, and hooker all need close scrutiny.

Fullback: despite showing talent in some areas, there’s reasonable doubt that Dufty is a feasible, long term solution.

Left Wing: if only MacDonald could reproduce the same form as he did in his last two games....then, and ONLY then would he be a keeper,

Hooker: McInnes’ skill set is limited and has clearly plateaud since the beginning of last year.

The past month also demonstrated he is susceptible to the same “brain farts” as his predecessor.

Put simply, if Cook and McInnes played reverse roles last Saturday, SGI would still be playing this week. Hopefully, Robson picks up this deficiency in 2019.

Elsewhere, it’s disturbing the club hasn’t adequately addressed Thompson’s departure, then again, it still hasn’t fixed the problems caused by Brett Morris leaving years ago either.

A utility option is desperately required.

Of Course, Saints have the nucleus of a good time but it won’t come to fruition unless there’s a change of coach.

possm

Coach
This post is bang on in so many ways:

Unfortunately though, Mann will never be considered for the fullback role ever again.

And I’m glad to see someone who has the insight to notice that for a back, Lomax just does not possess speed nor agility.

Don't close the door on the Lomax for fullback idea. Over the next off-season Lomax will gain full fitness and I'm of the opinion he will match it with Dufty speed wise. His agility will be second to none in the team. Just remember he came into first grade while still not 100% fit after injury. He was selected over Herbert and Aitken and did a fine job. I just hope the Club holds onto Herbert.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Mann is incredibly strong for his build and is elusive. He is not a Fb and I don't think he is a 5/8. To me he should be in the centres with Lomax. That is where Bellamy played him and he would give our backline a little more potency. Host in our 17 ? ....meh. For all the hype in years gone by he has delivered little. Yes injuries have played their part as has Mary's reluctance to bring up new blood (except for injuries). I think Host's chance to make a real impact has gone. This might be a little harsh, and I hope I am proved wrong by him next year, but to me he brings less to our 17 than Latimore does.

Latest posts