What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 captain choices.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Reynolds is a good call, especially when Murray seemed to play his prospects down. He'll still be a leader in the side and next in line for the job.
Whatever Reno says goes anyway. For his long service and loyalty, he should get the C beside his name. Cam Murray will get his chance in 3 or 4 years. He's a bit young now, but I agree with Pommy, he will captain the test team. He's a bloody good player.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I feel like Reynolds missing games is a myth. He played 25/28 games last year and the ones he missed were because of a fractured back.

Reynolds has always seemed like the kind of person that steps up when he’s needed. I thought with how diabolical our forward pack was in the finals Reynolds did everything he could to keep us in the games especially against Canberra. I think he’s joker personality is the type of personality that brings the team together but I also think he has a side to him that’s serious and can call the shots.
Just separately to that first, could the fact Cody has taken his time with signing and not committed straight away, well got me thinking could that have had an impact on him not getting the captaincy?

If Wayne spoke to Cookie, Cody and Reyno and had questions for them re the captaincy I’d back Reyno to best answer them and Reyno is a Souths junior and is South Sydney through and through, he epitomises what South Sydney is just like Sutto did.

If Cody does stay and Reyno pips him for the captaincy role I wonder how Cody will react to that?

@Souths Till I Die all people have to do imo is look at our win/loss record when Reyno doesn’t play, that does the talking imo, last I read about that we’d won less than 30percent of games when Reyno doesn’t play, that goes up to around 60percent when Reyno plays.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Just separately to that first, could the fact Cody has taken his time with signing and not committed straight away, well got me thinking could that have had an impact on him not getting the captaincy?

If Wayne spoke to Cookie, Cody and Reyno and had questions for them re the captaincy I’d back Reyno to best answer them and Reyno is a Souths junior and is South Sydney through and through, he epitomises what South Sydney is just like Sutto did.

If Cody does stay and Reyno pips him for the captaincy role I wonder how Cody will react to that?

@Souths Till I Die all people have to do imo is look at our win/loss record when Reyno doesn’t play, that does the talking imo, last I read about that we’d won less than 30percent of games when Reyno doesn’t play, that goes up to around 60percent when Reyno plays.

There’s no doubt Reyno is a crucial part of the team and I think a captain should also be an 80 minute player.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Some more paper talk around I’ve heard re Reyno, he will be taking over captaincy, looks like those rumours a few weeks ago must be true!

Tbh I’d be so stoked for Reyno, no one in our 2020 team is more deserving, it’d be friggin awesome!

Rabbit57

Juniors
Reynolds is a good call, especially when Murray seemed to play his prospects down. He'll still be a leader in the side and next in line for the job.
Reyno would certainly be my first choice for captain but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we have co-captains in 2020.
A great half back will always run the show. It is natural for them to lead the team. I think giving Reynolds the captaincy will reinforce his responsibility to be a dominant player every week. This will be good for him and great for the team.

callmack1

Staff member
If the rumours are true about Reyno, that is absolutely fantastic news! He is the best choice and will make a great captain. He has lived and breathed this club his whole life now so to have a Souths junior as captain again will be great!

callmack1

Staff member
New
From Sporting News,

South Sydney Rabbitohs five-eighth Cody Walker enjoying leadership role as captaincy position remains vacant

Following the retirement of superstar forward Sam Burgess, the South Sydney Rabbitohs captaincy has remained up in the air but it now appears it is down to three men following Cody Walker's extension.

Walker, Adam Reynolds and Damien Cook are the front-runners for the job in 2020 as the cardinal and myrtle prepare for life without Burgess, Greg Inglis and John Sutton.

With three legends of the club all gone, Walker understands it is time for new leaders to stand up and is enjoying having that responsibility next year and beyond.

“Whoever gets the job I do believe we will support that person to the best of our ability and help out wherever we can," he told Nine News.

“It’s something I am really enjoying, being classed as a leader...obviously I have got a lot more growth in me.

"I dare say I will be giving Sam a ring once a week just to get his opinion on things."

Walker has signed a two-year extension that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2022 season, despite interest from rival NRL clubs for 2021 and beyond.

In 2019 his game rose to new heights and he secured a State of Origin berth for NSW - and its his love of the club and a major off-field decision that has contributed to such form.

“It was such an honour to debut here, let alone play over 50 games and now re-signing until end of 2022," he said.

"My missus grew up two streets away from Redfern Oval, so it didn’t take me long to really love the club and love being a part of the club.

“I made up a decision to give up alcohol from the start of last season, and I lasted about 3 months.

"Over the last few weeks I have done the same decision. I’m going to see if I can go for longer this time."

While Walker, Reynolds and Cook are all leading the way in terms of leadership, the widely-held belief among NRL fans and experts is that Cameron Murray will be captain of the club in a few years time.

And with the three candidates for 2020 all in their late-20s, the 21-year old Murray could be skipper sooner rather than later - and there are plenty tipping him for even higher honours.

Latest posts