What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

Nuke

Staff member
Fulltime in Glasgow: Scotland 86-0 over Serbia

Halftime in Valencia: Ireland 12-2 over Spain

Nuke

Staff member
In a at-times fiery game, Ireland have got the win against Spain in Valencia, 42-8.

While Ireland's attack appeared more faster and nippier, Spain's resilience frustrated Ireland in the 2nd half, where there were repeated all-in shove-fests. The first of which had an Irish player in the 52nd minute either sent off or put in the bin for 10mins (I'm not sure which... but I think he was sent).

I felt it was a fairly even game up until the last 10-15mins, with the final scoreline kinda flattering the Irish side up until that point.

Spain have shown a great improvement in 12 months, which was an improvement from 12 months before then, so they are on the right track.

With the top two out of Ireland, Spain, and Italy qualifying for the 2021 RLWC, Ireland are now virtually assured a spot, with Italy and Spain to play eachother next weekend, and Ireland playing Italy the following weekend.

greenBV4

Bench
Scotland's team would of been a weakened side as well no? Im guessing atleast a couple of their best players would be touring with the GB side

deluded pom?

Coach
Scotland's team would of been a weakened side as well no? Im guessing atleast a couple of their best players would be touring with the GB side
Obviously Coote is with GB. The rest of the Scotland squad was made up of a couple of players from SL sides, a few domestic players, two from lower league Aussie clubs with the rest from the Championship and League 1.

adamkungl

Immortal
The Ireland v Spain game was alright from the bits I saw. Spain gave it a decent crack for 60 mins but didn't have the legs.

Couldn't find the Scotland Serbia game but didn't miss much clearly.

Ireland and Scotland are now all but qualified.
Spain v Italy could be interesting. I wouldn't write off Spain entirely.
Greece should take Serbia comfortably I think but hopefully Serbia make a game of it.

How do Serbia get over the 'plateau' they seem to have reached?
Maybe put aside fantasy ideas about Red Star Belgrade playing in English leagues.

A sustainable plan with quantifiable results:
Every year they take a touring U19s team international to play against local clubs in front of talent scouts. Play for semi-pro/pro contracts.
Take their best 18-19 year olds to France or England every year and play against 3 clubs. Get their talent into proper pathways.
If they even get 1 per year into a semi-pro team eventually they'll have the makings of a decent squad.

74607749_2549546431801718_5975629874855936000_o.jpg

Dakink

Bench
An article (In Spanish) about the game v Ireland. States about 1000 people in the crowd. Good things seem to be building in Spain.

adamkungl

Immortal
An article (In Spanish) about the game v Ireland. States about 1000 people in the crowd. Good things seem to be building in Spain.

Wikipedia says the official attendance was 250
and the Irish contingent slammed the entire operation as worse than amateurish

jim_57

Staff member
Wikipedia says the official attendance was 250
and the Irish contingent slammed the entire operation as worse than amateurish

To be fair to Spain on this one reading through the article where the Irish player went on a rant I think it reflected just as poorly on the Irish not organising their own trip very well. Things like not having a bus, hotel not recieving food orders that Ireland were supposed to send through etc.

I've seen neutral people on another forum saying the "dangerous playing style" was grossly over-exaggerated as well. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

I think there's two side's of the story here but from the sounds of it some semi-pro players expected the red carpet treatment from a game organised by two organisations that are completely amatuer.

adamkungl

Immortal
To be fair to Spain on this one reading through the article where the Irish player went on a rant I think it reflected just as poorly on the Irish not organising their own trip very well. Things like not having a bus, hotel not recieving food orders that Ireland were supposed to send through etc.

I've seen neutral people on another forum saying the "dangerous playing style" was grossly over-exaggerated as well. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

I think there's two side's of the story here but from the sounds of it some semi-pro players expected the red carpet treatment from a game organised by two organisations that are completely amatuer.

See my other thread for proper thoughts. My issue isn't with Spain
but the IRL should be helping these amateur organisations to ensure these games are at an appropriate standard.
You can't ask professional players to come out and try qualify for a world cup on concrete shit pits in 30+ degrees. Not if you want those players to bother showing up next year.

Dakink

Bench
20 mins in Scotland lead 14-0. Being live streamed on the out league app. Greece making too many simple errors.

Dakink

Bench
HT. Scotland 18 Greece 16. Game on. Both teams look good with ball in hand. Running hand and some nice backline moves. Too many simple errors from both teams. Really don't like the tunnel ball style of play the ball. Enterta8ning game so far. Greek number 9 looks the goods. Peter Mamouzelos I think his name is. Anyone know where he plays?