What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
I said when we were doing the TV deal that ch10 was a basketcase... It is all playing out as expected. BUT NRL should of waited to do a deal
Yeh having ch10 bid $600mil for AFL was a terrible outcome for them lol
Dont know why they went to market, should have just extended with the incumbents for $150mil less like NRL did.

docbrown

Coach
Story today.

A League TV grant halved to $1m a year because of a lack of subs

BUT NRL failed by not going to TEn
I didn't know they had announced it publicly. Got a link?

This was largely pressure from Paramount, regardless of what PR spin is put on it. I heard about this coming in the pipeline a few weeks ago. I had heard 50% reduction in the rights and that the cash would shift to contra instead. That matches up exactly with what you've said.

I know it's not NRL but A-League are about to get hit again after the Global Advance fiasco. In preparation for potential takeovers/selloffs with Skydance etc, Paramount is shoring up its cash positions. A-League will either have to take a reduction in the contract cash contributions (this may or may not shift to contra) or risk the contract being terminated early. There's some talk of up to a potential 50% cash cut (imagine if the NRL broadcast deal was cut in half). Still up in the air. Obviously a big impact though if it happens.

Wb1234

Referee

This was largely pressure from Paramount, regardless of what PR spin is put on it. I heard about this coming in the pipeline a few weeks ago. I had heard 50% reduction in the rights and that the cash would shift to contra instead. That matches up exactly with what you've said.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Ten have themselves to blame. Last year, Optus Sport had the rights to the Womens football world cup. They sold 15 of the 64 matches to Seven at around $4-$5 million. With Matildas going deep in the event, it ended up been a huge ratings success for Seven.

Hypocritically if Ten had the rights to the WWC, they could've promoted their programming and the A Leagues during the event.

What a wasted opportunity from Ten.

Iamback

Coach

You were bang on. Adam Peacock must have the same info

colly

Juniors
I said when we were doing the TV deal that ch10 was a basketcase... It is all playing out as expected. BUT NRL should of waited to do a deal
Yes Ten are having problems always the 3 way loser. However they are backed by biggest balance sheet of all TV networks. CEO Bev somebody went OS to get the AFL deal going...

What s not to say a trip over to HQ New York cant find another deal with NRL with Paramount Global, money backing...
Done correctly Ten /Paramount Global could compete with Foxtel with-in the TV and Pay TV area. From their point of view they would ave a ratings winner ( state of Origin, Grand Finals ) and a subscription driver for both companies. As ten is a FTA they have to by law cover Grand finals/ so keep the deal(s) relative BUT have them compete. This way we can ask for $275-$325 from Ten and $325- $400m from Foxtel/Kayo . Remember it will be the end of Foxtel but especially Kayo if they lose the NRL>
We play Nine against Paramount Global and DON"T give Foxtel Kayo exclusive rights.

docbrown

Coach
Yeh paramount can’t afford the a league and people here think they are bidding for eight nrl games plus origin

lmao
It's not that Paramount can't afford A-League. It's that Paramount are either getting sold off entirely or merging with Skydance. So all departments were told to reduce liabilities and boost cash positions. A-League was a liability as the subscriber base wasn't worth the outlay. It was actually better for Paramount to cancel the contract entirely, pay the early termination costs and book the remainder cash than stick with A-League. The compromise was that A-League accept a 50% broadcast deal cut - which sounds like they did.

In terms of Paramount, Paramount is a global company. 7 & 9 are not. Paramount could buy 7 & 9 10 times over. Whatever happens to Paramount, they will still be a Big 5, either as part of Sony or a merger with Skydance. So Paramount can afford A-League. They could afford AFL, NRL and cricket rights if they wanted to. It's all about what they want to focus on. And that all depends on the outcomes of the sales or mergers and what the new owners' intentions are. We can speculate but to really know you need to be in those boardrooms.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
It's not that Paramount can't afford A-League. It's that Paramount are either getting sold off entirely or merging with Skydance. So all departments were told to reduce liabilities and boost cash positions. A-League was a liability as the subscriber base wasn't worth the outlay. It was actually better for Paramount to cancel the contract entirely, pay the early termination costs and book the remainder cash than stick with A-League. The compromise was that A-League accept a 50% broadcast deal cut - which they did.

In terms of Paramount, Paramount is a global company. 7 & 9 are not. Paramount could be 7 & 9 10 times over. Whatever happens to Paramount, they will still be a Big 5, either as part of Sony or a merger with Skydance. So Paramount can afford A-League. They could afford AFL, NRL and cricket rights if they wanted to. It's all about what they want to focus on. And that all depends on the outcomes of the sales or mergers and what the new owners' intentions are. We can speculate but to really know you need to be in those boardrooms.
A league brushed their alleged 600 million pa offer for a reason

if nine Stan get it all fair enough even if the commentary sucks

Iamback

Coach
Yes Ten are having problems always the 3 way loser. However they are backed by biggest balance sheet of all TV networks. CEO Bev somebody went OS to get the AFL deal going...

What s not to say a trip over to HQ New York cant find another deal with NRL with Paramount Global, money backing...
Done correctly Ten /Paramount Global could compete with Foxtel with-in the TV and Pay TV area. From their point of view they would ave a ratings winner ( state of Origin, Grand Finals ) and a subscription driver for both companies. As ten is a FTA they have to by law cover Grand finals/ so keep the deal(s) relative BUT have them compete. This way we can ask for $275-$325 from Ten and $325- $400m from Foxtel/Kayo . Remember it will be the end of Foxtel but especially Kayo if they lose the NRL>
We play Nine against Paramount Global and DON"T give Foxtel Kayo exclusive rights.

Well for starters.

Paramount is under going merger talks, That needs to be finalised before they even start on looking at the flow on companies.

If Sony mergers than will they even want to run a TV station?

They might on want the streaming to go their gaming interests.

So that side needs to be sorted BEFORE they decide if they are selling ch10 or what is doing locally with Paramount plus.

It might be business to onsell the programs like Sony does with their movies/TV shows.

So there maybe no Paramount plus fullstop or ch10

colly

Juniors
Well for starters.

Paramount is under going merger talks, That needs to be finalised before they even start on looking at the flow on companies.

If Sony mergers than will they even want to run a TV station?

They might on want the streaming to go their gaming interests.

So that side needs to be sorted BEFORE they decide if they are selling ch10 or what is doing locally with Paramount plus.

It might be business to onsell the programs like Sony does with their movies/TV shows.

So there maybe no Paramount plus fullstop or ch10
I think Ten will have Paramount as a owner as with all their TV licenses worldwide. Actually Ten is a great fit Paramount
as the business plan was always this.....
Ten went broke (last time) sold by Administrators to Paramount as Paramount was their biggest creditor. simply put Ten had media business deal with Paramount worth roughly $400 to $500 mil. So all the revenue now from Australian Advertisers really goes back USA to pay for media deal which also leaves Ten with little Tax to pay. Owners happy.
So we have to convince them that NRL can be a revenue maker and so profit maker.

Iamback

Coach
Dont know why they went to market, should have just extended with the incumbents for $150mil less like NRL did.

Yet they didn't take it. Stayed with the current networks and just delayed the process.

colly

Juniors
Well Ten or Paramount which would be doing the paying have revenue of $23 billinon US or $34 Billion Aust. So i don't think they any problem servicing $600 Million Aust.. So why did they go for lower amount and left food on the table.......The AFL just extended with the incumbents for less and lost $350 million dollars ($50m pa times 7 years = $350million dollars)