What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Wb1234

Referee
I am not disputing the amount NRL gets in.

I am disputing that Sportsbet is included in that 1.2% of a bet

Due to sponsoring NRL $60m but only $12m for AFL. That is a huge difference for a like for like sponsorship in the 2 codes
Makes up for the Telstra bs the afl use to pad their tv deal with

The_Wookie

Bench
I am not disputing the amount NRL gets in.

I am disputing that Sportsbet is included in that 1.2% of a bet

Due to sponsoring NRL $60m but only $12m for AFL. That is a huge difference for a like for like sponsorship in the 2 codes

Im not sure the NRL is getting 60m. It was 60m from 2016-2020 (about 15m a year). The AFL was getting 12-15m a year (although at least one article claims the cash recieved was about 8m).

I cannot find a partnership figure since 2020. Happy to be corrected.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Digital services income at $2,692,000 or $2692 on page 159, so NOT included in Licensing ...
That’s not the full digital revenue. In 2019 it was $24mill! The rest is sitting in licensing.
Merchandising was $12m in 2019 - you are probably looking at double that now. $24m

Sportsbet signed a $60m deal with NRL to be the wagering partner. Their deal with AFL is $12-15m - The difference you'd think is in lieu of wagering fees.

So you are taking Sportsbet out of that section. That includes their share of wagering revenue - you are looking at atleast the $35m difference in the sponsorship deals

Round it up to $40m.

So you start with

$485m

Merchandise $24m

Leaves you with $461m

Again lets say income from Betting doubled to $100m. Less Sportsbets $40m

That takes out $60m

leaving $401m

digital is in another section.

So again the figures point to that $400m cash is possible
You’ve missed off radio and the rest of the digital revenue..

Perth Red

Post Whore

Iamback

Coach
Im not sure the NRL is getting 60m. It was 60m from 2016-2020 (about 15m a year). The AFL was getting 12-15m a year (although at least one article claims the cash recieved was about 8m).

I cannot find a partnership figure since 2020. Happy to be corrected.

I will try and find the article.

It was a whinge about how hard the NRL reports are to get data from.

Which is why it mentioned Sports bet being in Sponsorship... Along with a few others.

colly

Juniors
Telstras $50mill is cash and contra/in kind.
you do need to take around $10mill radio off though.
So tell me Red where do the AFL place their Triple M Melbourne radio broadcast revenue. I looked at the AFL Budget for 2023 but can't see mention of this. I think it is in the same place that the NRL places their Triple M Sydney radio broadcast money.... in the media broadcast. All this does not change that the CEO of the NRL in two reported media statements said the broadcast CASH revenue for the NRL is over $400 million dollars. Starting in the reported 2023 budget statement.
While the AFL reported Broadcast and 'AFL'/TS-M Media $444m for 2023, which if you minus the Telstra $50m gets you a figure for Broadcasting revenue at $394m for the AFL

Wb1234

Referee
Looking to the future rather than the circular conversations about the past, it's clear that PVL knows that content is king, hence the push for expansion. Also I'm not surprised about the push for a Perth Bears team, to improve the brand's national appeal.
Looks like they are going with 20 teams as part of the next tv deal judging by the article

or at least 19 with staggered entry dates

Iamback

Coach
Looking to the future rather than the circular conversations about the past, it's clear that PVL knows that content is king, hence the push for expansion. Also I'm not surprised about the push for a Perth Bears team, to improve the brand's national appeal.

You'd think the NRLW SOO going to a 3rd game and being exclusive on ch9. Brought some extra cash in.

As does the new NRLW teams.

So even in this cycle there is content coming in to add value.

ARLC are paying women same as mens for Origin. No way they do that without the costs being met somewhere.

The_Wookie

Bench
So tell me Red where do the AFL place their Triple M Melbourne radio broadcast revenue. I looked at the AFL Budget for 2023 but can't see mention of this. I think it is in the same place that the NRL places their Triple M Sydney radio broadcast money.... in the media broadcast. All this does not change that the CEO of the NRL in two reported media statements said the broadcast CASH revenue for the NRL is over $400 million dollars. Starting in the reported 2023 budget statement.
While the AFL reported Broadcast and 'AFL'/TS-M Media $444m for 2023, which if you minus the Telstra $50m gets you a figure for Broadcasting revenue at $394m for the AFL

Abdo never said said it was cash revenue.

"The total package in 2023, according to NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo, will be “over $400 million”, meaning V’Landys’ secret pay TV deal with Foxtel is worth approximately $300 million a year. That is consistent with the general formula that pay TV deals are generally twice those of FTA TV."

"Revenues returned to over $550 million and we have secured long term broadcast agreements which will see broadcast investment increase to over $400 million a year from 2023," Abdo said.
AAP

From 2023 television broadcast agreements will exceed $400 million per annum being the most in the game’s history.
(2021 Financial Results)

“2021 was an incredibly strong year for the growth of our game. Revenues returned to over $550 million and we have secured long term broadcast agreements which will see broadcast investment increase to over $400 million a year from 2023,’’ Abdo said.

1715489235937.png

Starkers

Bench
Main concerns with expansion are:

- NRL becomes a bit too broad and less tribal, much like the S18 expansion. Some differences with closer nations though. PNG away trips will be amazing for clubs.
- Quality of games, which again a feature of the S18 expansion. With the Bears competing in NSW Cup it should assist much like it has for the Dolphins with Redclifee in the QRL but they'll need to start building juniors in WA ASAP and if the Force fold it may help.

Personally, PNG and Perth are genuine expansion options, so I agree with them. But other areas are ripe for it like Christchurch which would be a genuine expansion, along with an area like Adelaide. Ipswich is a must at some point and your expect Central Coast too, but they're both safe options.

Vlad59

Juniors
Main concerns with expansion are:

- NRL becomes a bit too broad and less tribal, much like the S18 expansion. Some differences with closer nations though. PNG away trips will be amazing for clubs.
- Quality of games, which again a feature of the S18 expansion. With the Bears competing in NSW Cup it should assist much like it has for the Dolphins with Redclifee in the QRL but they'll need to start building juniors in WA ASAP and if the Force fold it may help.

Personally, PNG and Perth are genuine expansion options, so I agree with them. But other areas are ripe for it like Christchurch which would be a genuine expansion, along with an area like Adelaide. Ipswich is a must at some point and your expect Central Coast too, but they're both safe options.
Great post

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like they are going with 20 teams as part of the next tv deal judging by the article

or at least 19 with staggered entry dates
Yeh they will be at 20 for the 2033 deal by look of it

club 18 2027/28
2028 new tv deal with 18 team comp + 12 extra games for 3 years of deal
club 19 2029/2030
club 20 2032/33
2033 new tv deal with 20 team comp
thats what it looks like going off this weekends news stories.