What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023/24 Off Season

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
On a lighter note, Parramatta kicking goals again lol, signed Kelma Tuilagi, seems they thought they were getting Olakau’atu lol

335AC709-36AD-49D2-A624-5D37E8631C8E.jpeg

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Very concerning. I saw that in the news report he played in the Koori knockout and may have suffered a concussion, if that proves to be the case and was the cause of his collapse the repercussions Will be significant. I hope he pulls through no matter what.
I hear what you're saying (and it sounds like it was an adverse reaction to medication) but nothing serious will ever be done about concussion. I mean, they've done a bit with the HIA, independent doctors etc, but there's no repercussions.

Look at Ponga. At least 5 concussions in the past 12 months, he had one the other week but was allowed to stay on the field because he's a superstar and the scores were tied. Wally Lewis has dementia, very likely CTE. Carl Hayman has the same, an ex AFL great drove his car purposely into a tree a few years ago and only weeks ago now, his would-be son in law was knocked out cold and the guy who did it received no suspension. There's a multitude of other examples I could give. The sickening ones in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins QB.

I'm not sure myself what the answer is, and I'm not necessarily criticising sports organisations for basically saying yeah it's not ideal, but we're not going to change the fabric of our game for it. But we shouldn't expect that it'll ever change - it's basically caveat emptor but 'player beware'. And a lot would say that's how it should be.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I hear what you're saying (and it sounds like it was an adverse reaction to medication) but nothing serious will ever be done about concussion. I mean, they've done a bit with the HIA, independent doctors etc, but there's no repercussions.

Look at Ponga. At least 5 concussions in the past 12 months, he had one the other week but was allowed to stay on the field because he's a superstar and the scores were tied. Wally Lewis has dementia, very likely CTE. Carl Hayman has the same, an ex AFL great drove his car purposely into a tree a few years ago and only weeks ago now, his would-be son in law was knocked out cold and the guy who did it received no suspension. There's a multitude of other examples I could give. The sickening ones in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins QB.

I'm not sure myself what the answer is, and I'm not necessarily criticising sports organisations for basically saying yeah it's not ideal, but we're not going to change the fabric of our game for it. But we shouldn't expect that it'll ever change - it's basically caveat emptor but 'player beware'. And a lot would say that's how it should be.
Yeah I get what you’re saying there.
Didn’t know Carl Hayman was in a bad way, he’d barely be 50 wouldn’t he? That’s pretty grim.

But I do think that if a top level player ever collapses and ends up in a coma or dies after a head knock that will send real shockwaves through the game.

JJ

Immortal
Yep, Hayman very young - has been very open about his struggles - he's just 43

Despite the protocols in place, I'd not be surprised if things get worse - the athletes are so much bigger, stronger and faster, and the collisions reflect that - and it's not just the obvious concussions, it's a cumulative thing

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah I get what you’re saying there.
Didn’t know Carl Hayman was in a bad way, he’d barely be 50 wouldn’t he? That’s pretty grim.

But I do think that if a top level player ever collapses and ends up in a coma or dies after a head knock that will send real shockwaves through the game.
Not a perfect example, but something similar would be Phil Hughes' death in 2014. He was hit by a bouncer and suffered a fatal brain bleed. Everyone in cricket was devastated - people wondered how the bowler (Sean Abbott) would ever play again, how anyone could bowl a bouncer again, etc. They brought in neck guards, which I think were compulsory in domestic cricket (?) but certainly aren't in international cricket.

But if you watch Test cricket now, short-pitched bowling is potentially as rife, if not more than ever before (Bodyline not counting). Neil Wagner made a whole career out of it, the Ashes a couple of months ago were full of bouncers not only at proper batsmen but tail-enders, too. So really, the shockwaves don't last. People grieve, but they soon either forget, or prefer to preserve the game as they know it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Then you look at the absolutely f**king ridiculous situation of an NRL player fight night in the off-season. That shows how hypocritical, naive, stupid, ignorant whatever we can be as a species.

They ban (rightly) the shoulder charge, protect the head with high shots etc...but these guys like NAS, Jarred Wallace, Taumalolo, RCG are participating where the ultimate aim of the sport is to inflict a brain injury. Worse still, they have an absolute mismatch in 29-year-old Junior Paulo fighting 38-year-old Ben Hannant, beating the living f**k out of him and the ref not doing enough to stop it.

I'm sure in some circles I'd be called a wowzer, a snowflake, whatever. But I hate that sport. I hate UFC. I can't compute how you can build a sport around the goal being causing someone's brain to bounce around in their skull, and hoping to misfire it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That's interesting. He's a safe bet. Well, I thought he was until he really struggled with the Tigers. His job with the Kiwis should help in regard to managing rep sides as opposed to weekly NRL.
I think he will probably have to chuck in the Kiwis and Raiders jobs

not sure how comfortable I’d be with him doing both, where will he steer a younger player who can play for both

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Morgan Harper - Manly to the Eels

Manly management have had the work experience kids in and scrapped the old emblem for this debacle that a 12 year old threw together

IMG_4238.png

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep, Hayman very young - has been very open about his struggles - he's just 43

Despite the protocols in place, I'd not be surprised if things get worse - the athletes are so much bigger, stronger and faster, and the collisions reflect that - and it's not just the obvious concussions, it's a cumulative thing

They’re certainly that. Was looking at the players at the RWC, Hayman was a colossus in his day at around 130kg but there are at least 20 players heavier than that at this tournament - guys like Tamaiti Williams (1.96m, 145kg) are in NFL offensive tackle size territory now.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Andrew Davey medical retirement

Amone found guilty of attacking a man with a hammer, you’d think that will be his nrl career done for a while

Latest posts