What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Charity Shield - Dragons vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 18th February 3:30pm @Glenn Willow Oval

callmack1

Staff member
The one we've all been waiting for this week! It's the un-official start to our Season, a trial match that is so much more than just a trial match, that's right, it's the Charity Shield!! Remarkably, this is the 40th addition of this great annual match against a traditional rival of ours the Dragons.

I say it's more than a trial match because in this one, the result matters. There's a piece of silverware on the line and this game means a lot to both clubs so the stakes are a lot higher. Previously, we'd held the shield for nine years in a row, but we couldn't quite extend that run to ten as St George Illawarra got us last year. It's time we get that shield back on Saturday arvo.

Hard to know what to make of the Dragons this year to be honest. It's especially hard to know what to make of them at this time of year in the trial period. Many are predicting them to crash and burn, but I personally don't think they will. If they can get it together, they're a pretty dangerous outfit. We need to be ready for that on Saturday. They'll name a full strength team or close to it no doubt so we will have our hands full.

We should name as close to a full-strength team as we possibly can too which is very exciting! For the first time this year, we'll get a look at where we're at. Hopefully, the boys are far more advanced than they were this time last year. I said it last week, but I trial form in 2022 was terrible and it transferred into the start of the Season. We can't make the same mistake this time around and winning the Charity Shield would set us up very nicely heading into Round 1. I'm just really excited to see the proper 2023 edition of our team go at it in their first hit out. Should be a goody!

So can we get that shield back in Mudgee on Saturday? I bloody well hope so!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Looking forward to it as always. Be interesting to see if any of Cody, Trell or Murray play.

Hawkins was carrying a minor hammy strain and last week was said to be touch and go.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for 40th Charity Shield against Dragons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...quad-for-40th-charity-shield-against-dragons/

Full strength babyyyyyyy!!!!!! Hell yea, that line up is a sight to behold and I am so friggin excited!! I was wondering if JD would hold back a few stars but we're going all out to really see where we're at and get a proper hit out before Round 1. You love to see it. Of course, there's always the risk of injury but I'd be doing the same if I was JD. We need to see where we're at.

The backline and forward pack are basically as expected with really to only position us fans weren't sure of was the other starting prop now that Hame is out. JD has gone with Tom there which probably indicates what he's thinking moving forward. I'd prefer him on the bench for his impact but he's probably our best option with Hame out and we need to remember it's unlimited interchange.

The bench and reserves are also very strong, with everyone you'd expect to see there, there apart from maybe Tallis Duncan.

God I'm excited now!! Can it just hurry up and be game time already?!!

big hit!

Bench
Rabbitohs NRL squad for 40th Charity Shield against Dragons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...quad-for-40th-charity-shield-against-dragons/

Full strength babyyyyyyy!!!!!! Hell yea, that line up is a sight to behold and I am so friggin excited!! I was wondering if JD would hold back a few stars but we're going all out to really see where we're at and get a proper hit out before Round 1. You love to see it. Of course, there's always the risk of injury but I'd be doing the same if I was JD. We need to see where we're at.

The backline and forward pack are basically as expected with really to only position us fans weren't sure of was the other starting prop now that Hame is out. JD has gone with Tom there which probably indicates what he's thinking moving forward. I'd prefer him on the bench for his impact but he's probably our best option with Hame out and we need to remember it's unlimited interchange.

The bench and reserves are also very strong, with everyone you'd expect to see there, there apart from maybe Tallis Duncan.

God I'm excited now!! Can it just hurry up and be game time already?!!

Where's DSF? Need him in! A bit thin on props/middles at the moment with Hame, Liva, and Knight all unavailable and would be in the side, or close to it, if fully fit. And Nichols at Redcliffe now. Big opportunities for Moale and S.Mitchell to press their claim and nail down a spot in the 17 for the year if they play well in the tough opening stretch. Is Shaq NRL 30?

Interesting to see Tom Carr with the (c) next to his name in NSW Cup. Must be really impressing in pre-season. He could be next up if anything were to happen to AJ or Thompson. Plenty of folks throwing Karapani's name around, but I think he's exclusively a centre? A bit like Tass?

Tom Fletcher named as interchange for first grade. Edge forward. Still playing SG Ball so only 18 or 19. Has looked good in the u19s. Big strapping lad. Hope he goes well in his minutes.

SG Ball will be missing him, as well as Munro & Heslin (injured?), and Gray still out this weekend. A shame how injuries can suddenly cruel a season that seemed to have so much promise during the trials.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Well, here we are and here we go. After many months of Pre-Season, many months of waiting, our Season officially unofficially starts today!! Charity Shield game day is finally here and I for one couldn't be more pumped! Can't even begin to explain how good it is to have this feeling back, let's get into ittttt!!

This the the 40th anniversary of the annual Charity Shield match against the Dragons with the record split straight down the middle. 17 wins apiece with five draws. It doesn't get much more even than that and it shows you how good this contest has been for a long time now. We've dominated in recent times, winning 9 of the last 10 but the Dragons got one back on us last year, so I'd love nothing more than to get out there this afternoon and reclaim that shield, plus go one ahead on the all-time record.

I really don't know what to make of St George Illawarra this year. They don't have many, if any, big new faces in the side so I find it hard to get a read on them. Is it going to be the same old shit, or have they changed their style, changed their ways and are in for a bigger year? Time will tell and I guess we'll somewhat find out tonight. Their biggest threats are clearly obvious though. Sloan out the back is one to watch and I'm sure our centers will be kept busy in defence because Suli and Lomax are going to see a lot of ball. Defence out wide is crucial in this one, we saw that last year. Obviously, we gotta shut down Hunt, their general too.

Just really excited and looking forward to our boys all having their first proper hit out together against a pretty much full strength Dragons side. Regardless of where St George Illawarra are at, this will really show us how we're tracking and whether we're in for a good start to the year or not. In my opinion, this Charity Shield is more important than others in years gone by. Because of the start to our Season, we really need to hit the ground running tonight and play well so we get a bit of a roll on and get a bit of confidence now. The combinations should all be there as we have pretty much the same team and everyone's had a full Pre-Season. Ughhh I just can't wait to get a look at the top side for the first time in 2023!!! Also excited for guys like Shaq, Karapani, Fletcher, Kalo Kalo, and Teaupa to show us what they've got at this level.

Either way, it's hopefully gonna be a goody tonight! Mudgee always puts it on. Let's go and get that Shield back boys!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well here we are once again Charity Shield time! This always marks for me that the footy is back and it’s the unofficial start of the season. All the months of tough yakka in pre season now it’s time to blow out some cobwebs and put it into action. From people who have gone to training word is we look ahead of where we are this time last year so I’m looking forward to seeing some signs of that this arvo. It is a really hot one though so it’ll test the big boys out and I expect a high scoring game playing in such heat. It is the 40th Charity Shield as well I think we have won 9 of the last 10 with the Dragons beating us last year. The Dragons have been under fire and had some controversy this off the season but they’ll be looking to put their best foot forward we can’t take them lightly or focus too much on them we need to stick to our process. We do need to be alert for B. Hunt though, Lomax, Sloan and they do have some strong forwards as well. I get some say oh the result doesn’t matter but it’d be nice to get a win and put into practice some of what we have been doing at training.

For us our starting 1-13 looks pretty good. I’m looking forward to watching how I. Thompson goes he’s a had a big pre season and he will be looking to go well this arvo and build confidence. I’m also looking forward to watching how Lachy goes he looks to have bulked up a bit more over the off season same as Ta’affe. As always we need to lay the platform in the middle for Cody and Trell to do their thing. In the second half it’ll be good to see the likes of Karipani and Fletcher come on their are big wraps on these 2, we will get a look again at Benny Lovett as well and young Dion who played well last week. Also keen to see how Shaq goes geez he looks fit I’m very proud of him and another opportunity for young Moale as well who I expect will be in our best 17 come round 1.

I am sure it’ll be a bumper crowd with a good atmosphere in Mudgee as it always is!

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFFEEEEETTTTTTTTT……….

SHOW THE COLOURS CLAP YOUR HANDS STAMP YOUR FEET HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS!!!

LETS GO RABBITOHS!!!!

THERE’S ONLY ONE SOUTH SYDNEY

ONE SOUTH SYDNEY

WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY GLORY ALL THE WAY!!!

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Charity Shield clash to draw bittersweet memories for Ilias

It's hard to pinpoint which moment pops into Lachlan Ilias' head when he runs out against the Red V in Mudgee for the annual Charity Shield.

Is it his NRL debut in the final regular season round of 2021, scoring his maiden try minutes into the contest, or the dreaded Round 15 clash in Wollongong last season, where the halfback was benched 29 minutes into the match, trailing 32-0.

It's the the pinnacle and the rock bottom for Ilias' young career, all rolled into an opposition's red and white jersey.

While Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Damien Cook's contract status was the talk of the off-season, Ilias also quietly put pen to paper, a well-earned extension locking the halfback in through to the end of 2025.

He couldn't have bigger boots to fill after the departure of club legend Adam Reynolds, finishing his Redfern career as the team's highest-ever point-scorer, top five in games played, and the only halfback to win a competition in cardinal-and-myrtle in the last half century.

Unless Ilias has anything to do it.

The halfback didn't miss a beat after his Dragons' benching, standing tall and working on his game instead of sulking, and becoming the unsung hero of the South Sydney side as they charged into a fifth consecutive preliminary final.

Andrew Johns described the 22-year-old as the 'best defensive half in the NRL', a massive wrap for the youngster coming off a World Cup campaign for Greece.

Jason Demetriou can't wait to see him progress even further.

“Lachie finished the year in first grade looking really comfortable and knowing his role,” Demetriou told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“He's taken that on into this pre-season and he's probably had a better summer. Just through the sheer amount of training he's been able to do, last year he had a back surgery and that limited the reps we could get into him.

“But now he's confident, he knows what the game's about. The experiences all throughout last year have been really good for him and he's looking good to improve his game again.”

Demetriou is also set to sign a one-year extension with the Rabbitohs, locking him in through to the end of 2025, meaning the club's entire spine as well as their head coach will be in place for the next three seasons.

Bunnies' CEO Blake Solly saw similarities between the coach and rookie half, one stepping out of Reynolds' shadow, while Demetriou stepped out of Wayne Bennett's.

“There's a lot of similarities between Jason and Lachie actually,” CEO Blake Solly said.

“They both had a lot of scrutiny on them last year and a lot of pressure from outside the club as they stepped into new roles and handled that really well.

“They're both very calm and composed and when you look at how guys like Lachie and Davvy Moale have come into first grade, Jason's been integral to that.

“We had our reward for Jason's composure with a great finals run and we're very happy with things, we'll work through those extension talks over the next couple of months.”

Both Ilias and Demetriou are in Mudgee for the annual Charity Shield, against an undermanned St George Illawarra outfit, and while the sun will be beaming down at Glen Willow Stadium, the two have been standing in the shadows long enough.

callmack1

Staff member
Sorry for my late reply, went out straight after the game.

Yoohoo great way to really kick it off!! Our first win of 2023 in the final trial and the shield is coming back to Redfern where it belongs. Stoked to win in and get that shield back, but I was even more stoked with the way we won.

In that first half, for a trial game, we looked as slick as I've ever seen us at this time of year. Really fit and just ready and raring to go. It showed in our performance as that first half is about as dominant as it gets. The attack was just on fire!! We slipped straight back into our groove and didn't skip a beat. Scored some brilliant tries with beautiful play that had almost everyone involved. It wasn't just scoring them either, it was the variation in which we attacked tonight, very hard for the Dragons to read. Our defence was near perfect too as we didn't really even give them a sniff. It was as good a first half and I've seen enough just from that. That first half is us, that's South Sydney, that's what we can do.

Obviously dropped the bundle a bit in the second half but I guess that's to be expected with the heat, it being a trial game, and a whole lot of youngsters on.

All in all, that was the perfect tune up for Round 1. We come in hot! Very happy!!
Once again, the shield is ours!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well i got home late from work last night and I had to stay up to watch that back and boy did I enjoy it. The boys looked more conditioned and more fit compared to this time last year. We can not get carried away though as we were not playing much the Dragons were absolutely woeful I do feel for Griffin as they just don’t have the roster. The boys looked really slick in attack which was most impressive and I thought we defended pretty well but still we let them offload too much so that’s an area to work on as well as giving some cheap penalties and 6 agains away. I was quite happy with the ball security for a trial and in such heat.

Trell looks really fit which is great, Campbell looks like he’s bulked up a bit more, Tass impressed loved his pass to put AJ away and then of course Cody was there as he always is. I hope Thompson is ok he looked very good I liked what I saw. In the halves I wanted to see Ilias do some more of the kicking but it looks like JD still wants him to share it with Cody 50/50. My concern is against tough teams do we have that long 60 metre kick in us to get us out of trouble that remains to be seen. Lachy was good defensively overall and I loved his inside pass to Murray to put him away. Cody was sublime he was in absolutely everything. Up front big Tom looks fit and made massive metres expecting another big year from him we can’t afford him to get injured he’s so important. Junior was very good he’s gonna be in for a big year. Keaon I liked what I saw overall. Hosty was solid but a bit rusty but that’s to be expected. Murray well what can you say the bloke is brilliant an absolute machine just doesn’t stop! Leads through his actions. Jai I loved what he brought in 45mins in the middle off the bench he was a terrier in defence and made good metres so important to us as well.

Karipani I see talent there but he’s not ready yet needs half a season in NSW Cup. Moale has bulked up and looks strong he needs to be in our best 17. Shaq did us proud I felt and will be a handy depth option this year looks better than last year and fitter made good post contact metres. I thought Cheeks was solid when he came on. Mamozelos also solid in that last 20. Ta’affe played halfback for 21mins has a better kicking game than Lachy for me but the issue remains his defence it’s not first grade standard. He had that nice try assist though and will be the 14 for us this year no doubt.

Second half the boys fell away a bit but that’s expected in such heat and with giving some younger guys a go.

All in all positive signs but still things to work on. Glad the Charity Shield is back where it belongs. Now for the boys to ramp it up at training into round 1 for a bumper start to the season we have a very tough start but I feel the boys know we have to start well.

Glory Glory to South Sydney GO YOU GOOD THINGS!

P.S. the ref Peter Gough made a couple of errors but I thought was fair overall much better than Todd Smith