What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

jim_57

Staff member
This is gonna be between the 6th and 9th best attended finals series ever.

It's actually quite impressive considering the lack of any historically 'big' Sydney clubs. I would argue that the Roosters are well on their way to joining the big boys however. They're building intergenerational support.

Agree regarding the Roosters. Them making it didn’t really matter this year either, their only game in Sydney was capped at 13k then they played away in Melbourne so had no way to improve crowds unfortunately.

Iamback

Coach
the one that sold out in under an hour from a city of 185k population?

Keep sucking up those freebie tickets 'riff fans.

Well no. We got a similar number as we did last year, It was the lack of Storm fan as to why the freebies

as mentioned. Of the 4000 freebies only 1500 extra turned up

They allow Prelims at AAMI, Canberra and Townsville, same really

Pjf04b

Juniors
We arrived home to Cranebrook around 11:45 pm last night. It would have been well after midnight if at Allianz. Not feasible with young children/grand children.
Commbank is too far for them to walk to/from, especially at that time of night.

MugaB

Coach
We need the big Sydney teams to get back into finals for the crowds, and the ratings to look respectable! Enough of the Panthers, Roosters, Sharks making finals please
Well then get your shìt together and start producing juniors that can play, and you can keep on the cheap, if you keep buying mercs of the market, you'll stay 'final'less

Pjf04b

Juniors
There were no direct trains from Penrith to Olympic Park before 6:00 pm yesterday, but there were express trains from Central every 15 minutes. Do they realise Penrith is west of Olympic Park?
There were no extra services to Penrith last night after the game. We caught a train to Strathfield and then back to Penrith. 3 empty trains headed west while we waited.
Any wonder people from Penrith and the west are reluctant to travel to night games, but can sell them out at Penrith regularly!

Iamback

Coach
We arrived home to Cranebrook around 11:45 pm last night. It would have been well after midnight if at Allianz. Not feasible with young children/grand children.
Commbank is too far for them to walk to/from, especially at that time of night.

Correct. Also takes longer to get to after finishing work

Wb1234

Referee
Sitting next to a Storm fan from Melbourne, I brought up the garbage code in Melbourne and asked him why do they get big crowds to this garbage? His reply was, the tickets for the flog festival is much cheaper to attend and kids get in free, and the food @ the grounds are much cheaper aswell. And he even said no wonder why people don't show up to NRL games, it's a major rip off that's why. I agreed with him.
@Perth Red

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If we don't include magic round as individual games, and instead as whole day total, we are currently sitting at 3,958,860 fans through the gates including the first two weeks of finals. The average right now is 18,851 per game.
Brisbane vs Wahs - 51,000 (unsure if all corporate has sold / will show)
Total after this game - 4,009,860 (avg. 19,004)

This means that we will crack 4 mil for the first time in history. Great moment for the sport.

Panthers vs Storm- 35k (going off of that news article posted a few pages back for their expected crowd, may be lower, maybe not much higher).
Total after this game - 4,044,860 (avg. 19,079)

If we assume the GF draws 82,415 like last year, our end of season total is:
4,127,275 (numbers will fluctuate) avg. 19,376 per game. We needed AT least 4,260,000 to reach the average of 20,000 per game. So since a lot of people count magic round as whole days, we won't reach the illustrious 4 mil+ season with a 20k+ average. But that is nothing to be sad about. What a record breaking season this has been for attendances!

BUT If we include magic round as individual games (and going off the numbers provided above and assumptions):
Current total - 4,166,078
Broncos vs Wahs - 51,000
Panthers vs Storm - 35,000
GF - 82,415
End of season total - 4,334,493 avg. 20,349 per game

Either way, what a season for crowds. I really hope this is the beginning of crowds staying at the 4 mil range for years to come, and hopefully we can one day reach 5 mill for a season
Magic Round should be counted as individual games as the people counted were in attendance and the tickers for each game were paid for

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Penrith to Accor last night took an hour last night. No residential streets included just the trip from the m4 over the Nepean to the p1 parking. Horrendous traffic.

People comparing Penrith crowds in the city with teams actually in the city don’t know what they’re talking about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There were no direct trains from Penrith to Olympic Park before 6:00 pm yesterday, but there were express trains from Central every 15 minutes. Do they realise Penrith is west of Olympic Park?
There were no extra services to Penrith last night after the game. We caught a train to Strathfield and then back to Penrith. 3 empty trains headed west while we waited.
Any wonder people from Penrith and the west are reluctant to travel to night games, but can sell them out at Penrith regularly!
Haha, Sydney is so shit.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Very good Wahs presence. I think they'll get about 15-20% of the crowd which is probably the 4th highest away support I've seen at Suncorp.

1. All Bledisloes I've been to.
2. Cowboys 2015 QF
3. Western Sydney Wanderers 2014 (?) GF
4. This.
5. Broncos vs Dragons round 4 2009 - Bennett's first Suncorp game as Dragons coach.

I'm keen to see how the corporate seats are come the 5-10 minute mark.