What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 FW1 Sat - Penrith 32-6 Warriors @ BlueBet

Finals Week 1: Penrith v Warriors

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Warriors

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Panthers won't see it coming.

The last time these sides met the Warriors had come off the worst scheduling in the NRL. They played the Storm, lost four key players, five days later they played the Roosters, then lost to Penrith (three games in 11 days against at the time, form sides in the comp) the Warriors only lost by twelve points with Dylan Walker playing five eight.

Two of those games were away, one was the set up Anzac game that is not allowed to be played in NZ, thanks NRL we died at Gallipoli too ya mongrels. Oh and thanks for the Covid pay back.

The Warriors had two men sent to the bin. Before the Refs screwed the Warriors they went in at the half with a 6 point deficit.

The first time the Warriors have fielded a full strength side this year. All the stars are aligning for the Warriors.

Private chartered flight into Sydney, no cramped seats, no wasted hours in customs. The Warriors are planning on winning, they ain't mucking around for this game.

Penrith is the side the Warriors wanted to play. After a two try loss with a half missing, and key bench forwards, at the end of a ridiculous run of games, the Warriors felt they had the measure of the Panthers till they had sin bins end it as a contest.

Most of the season the Warriors have lacked width in their attack after the loss of TMM. The left edge with Metcalf offered a running threat without much ball movement going on.

These sides are a lot closer than Penrith fans realize which hopefully the Panthers squad also fall into the same trap.

It will come down to whether the officials let the Warriors compete. If it is a fair game then there is no way Penrith only need to show up to collect the lollies.
I wouldn’t read too much into a regular season game in the middle of the year; Penrith has form of lifting for big games…

Someguy

First Grade
Should be a cracking atmosphere regardless.

I just hope IC doesn't try and reinvent the wheel with our attack given Webster would know a lot of what we're going to throw at them.

panthers attack is really nothing special and would not surprise any team. It’s just the consistent grind and hard to break defence that eventually tires out their opponents and results in relatively easy tries.

Coaching a team to beat the panthers it would be less focus on panthers attack and more on slowing the forwards and trying to stop the outside backs getting things rolling from kick returns.

Kilkenny

Coach
panthers attack is really nothing special and would not surprise any team. It’s just the consistent grind and hard to break defence that eventually tires out their opponents and results in relatively easy tries.

Coaching a team to beat the panthers it would be less focus on panthers attack and more on slowing the forwards and trying to stop the outside backs getting things rolling from kick returns.
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/attachments/fb_img_1693975841550-jpg.78980/1693982970256.png

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Penrith can win this game in which ever fashion we like. Turn it on and blow them away or strangle them

Wb1234

Referee
The collective wisdom of this forum thought panthers would struggle to make even the top four without kikau and korisau

then Cleary did his hammy for seven weeks and luai wasn’t good enough for origin

this is a huge redemption arc up there with Theon Greyjoy

The collective wisdom of this forum thought panthers would struggle to make even the top four without kikau and korisau

then Cleary did his hammy for seven weeks and luai wasn’t good enough for origin

this is a huge redemption arc up there with Theon Greyjoy
All we need is a player castrated…

Evil_Mush

Juniors
It's quite interesting that as much praise Panthers get for being way ahead of the competition, if we had won that Magic Round game against Panthers (if dodgy sin bins hadn't happened not out of the question) & the post-bye game against the Broncos (if Pompey hadn't touched the collar of the player to deny Montoyas match winner), then the Warriors would have been Minor Premiers.

Anyway, Panthers still deserved favourites, but we aren't writeoffs either.

Looking forward to it, bring on Satdee!!!

GongPanther

Referee
I don't think we are a snowballs chance in a microwave of getting up, but f**k; if we do somehow cause an upset, the amount of humble pie consumed by the smug will be a thing of beauty.
With respect, a Warriors win is simply is not going to happen against a very good Panthers team. But I reckon your second bite of the cherry is yours for the taking against I think the Knights. After this game on Saturday, Cleary will have a few words of wisdom between beers with Webby in which it will go a long way for the game the week after.

GongPanther

Referee
Panthers won't see it coming.

The last time these sides met the Warriors had come off the worst scheduling in the NRL. They played the Storm, lost four key players, five days later they played the Roosters, then lost to Penrith (three games in 11 days against at the time, form sides in the comp) the Warriors only lost by twelve points with Dylan Walker playing five eight.

Two of those games were away, one was the set up Anzac game that is not allowed to be played in NZ, thanks NRL we died at Gallipoli too ya mongrels. Oh and thanks for the Covid pay back.

The Warriors had two men sent to the bin. Before the Refs screwed the Warriors they went in at the half with a 6 point deficit.

The first time the Warriors have fielded a full strength side this year. All the stars are aligning for the Warriors.

Private chartered flight into Sydney, no cramped seats, no wasted hours in customs. The Warriors are planning on winning, they ain't mucking around for this game.

Penrith is the side the Warriors wanted to play. After a two try loss with a half missing, and key bench forwards, at the end of a ridiculous run of games, the Warriors felt they had the measure of the Panthers till they had sin bins end it as a contest.

Most of the season the Warriors have lacked width in their attack after the loss of TMM. The left edge with Metcalf offered a running threat without much ball movement going on.

These sides are a lot closer than Penrith fans realize which hopefully the Panthers squad also fall into the same trap.

It will come down to whether the officials let the Warriors compete. If it is a fair game then there is no way Penrith only need to show up to collect the lollies.
Sounds like a defeatist attitude. It'll be a contest for about 40-60 mins, then the Panthers will simply take control.

Maybe the best scenario that could happen is if the Panthers blow away the Wahs in the first 20 mins, then the Panthers might just ease up on them as far as the brutality of the Panthers defense is concerned.

It's quite interesting that as much praise Panthers get for being way ahead of the competition, if we had won that Magic Round game against Panthers (if dodgy sin bins hadn't happened not out of the question) & the post-bye game against the Broncos (if Pompey hadn't touched the collar of the player to deny Montoyas match winner), then the Warriors would have been Minor Premiers.

Anyway, Panthers still deserved favourites, but we aren't writeoffs either.

Looking forward to it, bring on Satdee!!!
If we had won every game this year we would have been undefeated.

And if I of run into Emma Watson on the train before I met my wife, you’d be calling me Mr Hermione Granger right now…

This game is fun…

Evil_Mush

Juniors
If we had won every game this year we would have been undefeated.

And if I of run into Emma Watson on the train before I met my wife, you’d be calling me Mr Hermione Granger right now…

This game is fun…

I agree yes it is a fun game 😉

But just a simple observation that only two results going our way (which were not far off happening) is not exactly a gulf in terms of how far ahead you guys are.

We may still get utterly pantsed, but I reckon this will be a barnstormer from both sides 🤙

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Soni might branch out once he has finished his proctology course
Hair Cutting GIF by Lizz Lunney

Iamback

Coach
I agree yes it is a fun game 😉

But just a simple observation that only two results going our way (which were not far off happening) is not exactly a gulf in terms of how far ahead you guys are.

We may still get utterly pantsed, but I reckon this will be a barnstormer from both sides 🤙

Yeah but that has other flow ons

For example we rested guys in the back end of the year, We don't do that if Top 2 isn't locked in

Latest posts