What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

The Great Dane

First Grade
There's tons of opportunities out there that just aren't taken - for instance,why does the Raiders away/alternate kit need to have blue shorts ?
The shorts aren't the problem, the jersey is. The club's white away jerseys have universally been trash that only 90s kids pretend to like because it reminds them of their childhood.

We have four colours in the colour scheme two of which, yellow and blue, basically never get used. Why not, you know, use them. . . A novel concept I know...

Despite being a pretty shit design, the black away jersey from 2010 was pretty popular and the contrast between black and light green showed heaps of potential. So why not explore using black as well.

What the Raiders really need is for some new people with fresh ideas to be given the freedom to produce something unique and interesting without being micromanaged and ending up with a product designed by committee. It'll never happen though, that's just not the way things are done in Queanbeyan.

beave

Coach
The shorts aren't the problem, the jersey is. The club's white away jerseys have universally been trash that only 90s kids pretend to like because it reminds them of their childhood.

We have four colours in the colour scheme two of which, yellow and blue, basically never get used. Why not, you know, use them. . . A novel concept I know...

Despite being a pretty shit design, the black away jersey from 2010 was pretty popular and the contrast between black and light green showed heaps of potential. So why not explore using black as well.

What the Raiders really need is for some new people with fresh ideas to be given the freedom to produce something unique and interesting without being micromanaged and ending up with a product designed by committee. It'll never happen though, that's just not the way things are done in Queanbeyan.

The NRL also has a massive say in clubs jerseys as well mate.

The below podcast is really good for those of us obsessed with sports apparel design. A couple of them work for Dynasty, that particular episode they talk to NQ's Head of Design and go into jersey issues and regardless of the club you follow is a good insight into that side of footy.

IMG_1401.jpeg

toomuchsoup

Juniors

The below podcast is really good for those of us obsessed with sports apparel design. A couple of them work for Dynasty, that particular episode they talk to NQ's Head of Design and go into jersey issues and regardless of the club you follow is a good insight into that side of footy.

View attachment 72264
If the NRL have a ‘soft policy’ of the away leaning more towards white then they’re as much to blame as the clubs. When so many clubs have white as apart of their home then teams like the Knights and the Cowboys, having a white away but still retaining the dark shoulders/chest is quite pointless.

Clubs should simply be designing their away jerseys with who they actually clash with in mind

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Strangely enough the yellow, blue and white aren't (official) club colours at all.

The club released brand guidelines when they made the minor adjustments to the logo in 2018 or 19 from memory:

1680833602913.png

White, lime, navy, steel and and tan.

They started to lean into that new brand with the home and away jerseys (which I would argue were unique and interesting) up until this year, but have seemingly again abandoned that palette to return to the old colours for on-field gear. The navy is still fairly prominent in training items etc but the steel and tan don't appear anywhere anymore.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If the NRL have a ‘soft policy’ of the away leaning more towards white then they’re as much to blame as the clubs. When so many clubs have white as apart of their home then teams like the Knights and the Cowboys, having a white away but still retaining the dark shoulders/chest is quite pointless.

Clubs should simply be designing their away jerseys with who they actually clash with in mind
This.

Premise being that you wear your main/home jersey as much as possible, who that would clash with on the road:

Brisbane - Manly, Dolphins, to a lesser extent Penrith, Tigers, Cowboys, Roosters
- current away jersey probably makes sense - white and gold

Canberra - Souths
- current away jersey probably makes sense but is being worn against teams it doesnt need to be; mostly navy would probably also work

Canterbury - Saints barely
- current away jersey does the job

Cronulla - Titans barely, maybe Canterbury, Saints
- current away jersey (black) is a good contrast option for games against teams with lighter jerseys

Gold Coast - Sharks barely, maybe Parra
- current away jersey is probably ok, although a yellow one would be fairly unique (see Magic Round)

Dolphins - Broncos, Manly, to a lesser extent Newcastle
- current away jersey is ok but they could probably use the sand/mustard colour whatever it is more

Manly - Brisbane, to a lesser extent Penrith, Tigers, Cowboys, Roosters, Storm
- current away jersey probably does the job

Melbourne - Parra, Warriors, Cowboys, Roosters, Penrith, Manly
- current away jersey works fine, could be light grey/silver instead though

Newcastle - Parramatta, Titans, Warriors, Roosters, Cowboys
- a red away jersey would make more sense tbh

North Qld - Roosters, Knights, Warriors, Titans, Eels, Storm to a lesser extent Penrith and Tigers
- grey away jersey would make sense, current one is ridiculous

Parramatta - Newcastle, Warriors, Cowboys, Roosters, Storm
- ditch the white thing and wear the gold one

Penrith - Tigers, to a lesser extent Manly, Brisbane, Roosters, Storm, Cowboys
- pink works perfectly

St Geo Illa - Dogs barely
- red alternate is fine

Souths - Canberra
- they need a better alternate than the panel switch they currently do. Bring back the minties wrapper

Roosters - Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Eels, to a lesser extent Titans, Knights
- current away jersey is fine

Warriors - Just about everyone
Not even sure what the solution is here but just replacing the blue lower half on the home kit to create the away one isn't a solution, especially when paired with blue shorts.

Wests Tigers - Penrith mostly, also Manly, Brisbane, Cowboys, Roosters
- less black on the orange away jersey; having a third white alternative wouldn't hurt tbh

toomuchsoup

Juniors
And wouldn’t you believe it…. BOTH TEAMS WEARING THEIR AWAY!!!

Sure, green and red vs blue isn’t technically a ‘clash’ but it’s a mid shade jersey with white shorts vs a mid shade jersey with shorts. It’s just so dumb…

Both should have worn their home, but even if the Dogs really wanted to wear their away as the home team, Souths should have worn their home. There’d at least be some contrast between the white and black shorts.

Last edited:

toomuchsoup

Juniors
This.

Premise being that you wear your main/home jersey as much as possible, who that would clash with on the road:

Brisbane - Manly, Dolphins, to a lesser extent Penrith, Tigers, Cowboys, Roosters
- current away jersey probably makes sense - white and gold

Canberra - Souths
- current away jersey probably makes sense but is being worn against teams it doesnt need to be; mostly navy would probably also work

Canterbury - Saints barely
- current away jersey does the job

Cronulla - Titans barely, maybe Canterbury, Saints
- current away jersey (black) is a good contrast option for games against teams with lighter jerseys

Gold Coast - Sharks barely, maybe Parra
- current away jersey is probably ok, although a yellow one would be fairly unique (see Magic Round)

Dolphins - Broncos, Manly, to a lesser extent Newcastle
- current away jersey is ok but they could probably use the sand/mustard colour whatever it is more

Manly - Brisbane, to a lesser extent Penrith, Tigers, Cowboys, Roosters, Storm
- current away jersey probably does the job

Melbourne - Parra, Warriors, Cowboys, Roosters, Penrith, Manly
- current away jersey works fine, could be light grey/silver instead though

Newcastle - Parramatta, Titans, Warriors, Roosters, Cowboys
- a red away jersey would make more sense tbh

North Qld - Roosters, Knights, Warriors, Titans, Eels, Storm to a lesser extent Penrith and Tigers
- grey away jersey would make sense, current one is ridiculous

Parramatta - Newcastle, Warriors, Cowboys, Roosters, Storm
- ditch the white thing and wear the gold one

Penrith - Tigers, to a lesser extent Manly, Brisbane, Roosters, Storm, Cowboys
- pink works perfectly

St Geo Illa - Dogs barely
- red alternate is fine

Souths - Canberra
- they need a better alternate than the panel switch they currently do. Bring back the minties wrapper

Roosters - Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Eels, to a lesser extent Titans, Knights
- current away jersey is fine

Warriors - Just about everyone
Not even sure what the solution is here but just replacing the blue lower half on the home kit to create the away one isn't a solution, especially when paired with blue shorts.

Wests Tigers - Penrith mostly, also Manly, Brisbane, Cowboys, Roosters
- less black on the orange away jersey; having a third white alternative wouldn't hurt tbh
Amen

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Out of these 2 clubs home and away kits, they’ve gone with the worst combination of the 4 possibilitiesCFE1AFEB-675A-48F0-BDBF-BB52FAA5EC63.jpeg
As I said, it’s not technically a ‘clash’ but it just contrasts really poorly, and UNNECESSARILY

Bulldogs away jersey with blue shorts would’ve also worked much better

Bah humbug!!!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Strangely enough the yellow, blue and white aren't (official) club colours at all.

The club released brand guidelines when they made the minor adjustments to the logo in 2018 or 19 from memory:

View attachment 72267

White, lime, navy, steel and and tan.

They started to lean into that new brand with the home and away jerseys (which I would argue were unique and interesting) up until this year, but have seemingly again abandoned that palette to return to the old colours for on-field gear. The navy is still fairly prominent in training items etc but the steel and tan don't appear anywhere anymore.
Did you seriously think that I didn't already know this? Not having a go, just saying...

The club has completely abandoned the "new" navy colour scheme for on field kit in response to the outrage of a noisy minority of dickheads. The funny thing about it is that you still see more of the navy stuff around town than the current jerseys, which suggests that it was pretty popular with average fans.

Those jerseys were pretty boring and uninspired in my opinion, but there was plenty of potential in that colour scheme. Unfortunately I can't see the club going back to that scheme any time soon either.

The Great Dane

First Grade

View attachment 72264
I haven't listened to the podcast, but the NRL shouldn't be interfering in the clubs branding decisions except in extreme cases.

If it was me I'd just do what I thought was in the best interests of the club then ask the NRL for forgiveness later. I mean what are they going to do if we refuse to follow their advice, fine us?

We'll be able to afford the fine if the jersey is popular and sells well lol.

beave

Coach
I haven't listened to the podcast, but the NRL shouldn't be interfering in the clubs branding decisions except in extreme cases.

If it was me I'd just do what I thought was in the best interests of the club then ask the NRL for forgiveness later. I mean what are they going to do if we refuse to follow their advice, fine us?

We'll be able to afford the fine if the jersey is popular and sells well lol.

It's worth a listen mate. She talks about it all, they are pretty strict. They knocked back NQ first away jersey submission for 2023 and made the redo it, i think the ANZAC jersey might have been the same?

The NRL hold on pretty tight to all the branding shit.

Colk

First Grade
It's worth a listen mate. She talks about it all, they are pretty strict. They knocked back NQ first away jersey submission for 2023 and made the redo it, i think the ANZAC jersey might have been the same?

What are the penalties?

The Great Dane

First Grade

I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is that most of the branding decisions they're making are mystifying, so why put up with it?!

There'd be little the NRL could do if the clubs, or even just a good portion of the clubs, got together and told them to shove it. So why not organise a meeting with PVL and Abdo and do just that? Or they could go down the Nike paying Michael Jordan's fines for wearing their shoes that broke the NBA's uniform rules route.

The point is that this is the NRL overreaching in their roll, there're things that the clubs could do to combat it, and it'd be in their interests to do so.

BTW, I'll get around to listening to the podcast eventually.