What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ladder Predictions

Vic Mackey

Referee
90% of predictions end up being last years top 8 with a few moved around 1 or 2 spots.

Over the years it’s shown an average of 3 teams drop out each year. 1 from the top 4 and 2 from 5-8. There’s always one team that spirals down the ladder ( Manly) and one which comes from nowhere (NQ).

Draw plays a massive role in finishing positions, haven’t had a great look but from memory Raiders and Sharks had incredibly easy draw whilst Broncos had the hardest. Instead of ladder predictions will pick who’s up/down from last year:

2022 Ladder:

1. Panthers - Down. 2 huge losses that haven’t really been replaced. Had insane injury luck the last 3 years which won’t last forever. Be surprised if they slip out of top 4 but won’t be the force they’ve been. 1st-4th
2. Sharks - Down: Had the easiest draw in memory last year to massively over achieve which showed in the finals. I felt that their shifts became very predictable as the year went on, will need to improve to get near the top 4 in 23. 6th-10th
3. Cowboys - Same/Higher: Looked the best coached side of 22 who through more variety at you then any other side. They really came from nowhere last year so won’t surprise anyone this season, I feel they’ll be fine though. Maybe still a good prop away from a premiership. 1st-3rd
4. Eels - Lower/Same: I’m not tipping the free fall that some are. Some decent losses but still a good enough team to win more then they lose. Depth probably the biggest issue is depth as after the top 17-19 there isn’t much. 5th-9th
5. Storm - Higher: don’t you people ever learn? Last year felt like their 2014 season when they stumbled to 6th and went out 1st week. They then had a refresh and made the prelim at worst the next 7 years. Best spine in the comp, Welch back, Sims and Katoa will become world beaters. No one who left the club is a loss. Easy top 4.
6. Easts - Higher: I’m still not that convinced by Easts and me moving them up is more because I think teams above them will come back as opposed to them improving. Really apart from a 4-5 week in at the back end of 22 they haven’t looked a top 4 team in 3 years. B Smith isn’t a top line fulltime 9. Still too many good players not to be around 4th-6th
7. Souths - Higher: Hard team to predict as they’ve basically become a Manly/Turbo situation. With Latrell they were easily the 2nd best team last year. Without him they lost to wests and saints lol. All depends on him. Could win the comp or miss the 8 depending on his fitness. IF LM plays 1st-4th, if not 7th-10th
8. Raiders - Up/Same: again who knows. I like a lot of what they did at the back end of the year but it was all against shit. Best starting prop pairing in the game and some good young backs. 6th-10th
9. Brisbane - Same/Down: after these guys belted the Eels at Parra I had them in my GF. What a fade of epic proportions. Hit backline but Big ?? On the 6 and 9, forward pack young and unreliable. How many games will the 7 play? Tough draw, think they scrap for the 8. 8th-11th
10. Saints - Down: these guys have wests tigers 2022 disaster season written all over them. Best young player gone for the season, team seem to hate each other and half hate the coach, more over the hill never been signings. 15th-17th
11. Manly - Up/Same: we all know what it depends on. If he plays more then 15 games they probably make the 8. IF TT plays 3rd-7th, if not 8th-12th
12. Dogs - Up/Same: I’m not buying the hype. Burton has become the most over rated player in the game. He’s basically Jack Wighton from wish with a big bomb. Kikau out of the panthers system is anyone’s guess and their hooker from last year was better than Mahoney. 10th- 12th.
13. Titans - Down: very little to get excited about. Verrills and Foran are such meh signings. Holbrooks lucky he isn’t coaching a Sydney. Probably still gone by the end of the season though. 14th-17th
14. knights - same: been the least resilient team of the past few years. Moving Ponga to 6 screams desperation, i have my thoughts on the 7 which are well known in the tigers forum. Best hasn’t improved at all, why the f**k is Fitzgibbon still in a first grade squad? AOB will be gone mid season. 13th-16th
15. NZ - same: like everyone else I want to see them do well. Have bought some ok players in TMM and Barnett. Josh Curran is a guy who could play Origin. Pack isn’t horrible but the backline is pretty bad. Can’t see them improving much, need to get rid of the 7. 14th-17th
16. Tigers - Up: got rid of a lot of dead wood and brought in 4/5 quality players. Stefano and Doeuihi missed 3/4s of the season who were the 2 best players in 2021, not to mention Blore and Talau who missed the whole year. Pack is very strong as is the bench. Backline is pretty aids and who knows what Sheens will bring. Not enough class in the spine to make the 8 but will improve. 10th-12th.

Last edited:

footy75

Bench
90% of predictions end up being last years top 8 with a few moved around 1 or 2 spots.

Over the years it’s shown an average of 3 teams drop out each year. 1 from the top 4 and 2 from 5-8. There’s always one team that spirals down the ladder ( Manly) and one which comes from nowhere (NQ).

Draw plays a massive role in finishing positions, haven’t had a great look but from memory Raiders and Sharks had incredibly easy draw whilst Broncos had the hardest. Instead of ladder predictions will pick who’s up/down from last year:

2022 Ladder:

1. Panthers - Down. 2 huge losses that haven’t really been replaced. Had insane injury luck the last 3 years which won’t last forever. Be surprised if they slip out of top 4 but won’t be the force they’ve been. 1st-4th
2. Sharks - Down: Had the easiest draw in memory last year to massively over achieve which showed in the finals. I felt that their shifts became very predictable as the year went on, will need to improve to get near the top 4 in 23. 6th-10th
3. Cowboys - Same/Higher: Looked the best coached side of 22 who through more variety at you then any other side. They really came from nowhere last year so won’t surprise anyone this season, I feel they’ll be fine though. Maybe still a good prop away from a premiership. 1st-3rd
4. Eels - Lower/Same: I’m not tipping the free fall that some are. Some decent losses but still a good enough team to win more then they lose. Depth probably the biggest issue is depth as after the top 17-19 there isn’t much. 5th-9th
5. Storm - Higher: don’t you people ever learn? Last year felt like their 2014 season when they stumbled to 6th and went out 1st week. They then had a refresh and made the prelim at worst the next 7 years. Best spine in the comp, Welch back, Sims and Katoa will become world beaters. No one who left the club is a loss. Easy top 4.
6. Easts - Higher: I’m still not that convinced by Easts and me moving them up is more because I think teams above them will come back as opposed to them improving. Really apart from a 4-5 week in at the back end of 22 they haven’t looked a top 4 team in 3 years. B Smith isn’t a top line fulltime 9. Still too many good players not to be around 4th-6th
7. Souths - Higher: Hard team to predict as they’ve basically become a Manly/Turbo situation. With Latrell they were easily the 2nd best team last year. Without him they lost to wests and saints lol. All depends on him. Could win the comp or miss the 8 depending on his fitness. IF LM plays 1st-4th, if not 7th-10th
8. Raiders - Up/Same: again who knows. I like a lot of what they did at the back end of the year but it was all against shit. Best starting prop pairing in the game and some good young backs. 6th-10th
9. Brisbane - Same/Down: after these guys belted the Eels at Parra I had them in my GF. What a fade of epic proportions. Hit backline but Big ?? On the 6 and 9, forward pack young and unreliable. How many games will the 7 play? Tough draw, think they scrap for the 8. 8th-11th
10. Saints - Down: these guys have wests tigers 2022 disaster season written all over them. Best young player gone for the season, team seem to hate each other and half hate the coach, more over the hill never been signings. 15th-17th
11. Manly - Up/Same: we all know what it depends on. If he plays more then 15 games they probably make the 8. IF TT plays 3rd-7th, if not 8th-12th
12. Dogs - Up/Same: I’m not buying the hype. Burton has become the most over rated player in the game. He’s basically Jack Wighton from wish with a big bomb. Kikau out of the panthers system is anyone’s guess and their hooker from last year was better than Mahoney. 10th- 12th.
13. Titans - Down: very little to get excited about. Verrills and Foran are such meh signings. Holbrooks lucky he isn’t coaching a Sydney. Probably still gone by the end of the season though. 14th-17th
14. knights - same: been the least resilient team of the past few years. Moving Ponga to 6 screams desperation, i have my thoughts on the 7 which are well known in the tigers forum. Best hasn’t improved at all, why the f**k is Fitzgibbon still in a first grade squad? AOB will be gone mid season. 13th-16th
15. NZ - same: like everyone else I want to see them do well. Have bought some ok players in TMM and Barnett. Josh Curran is a guy who could play Origin. Pack isn’t horrible but the backline is pretty bad. Can’t see them improving much, need to get rid of the 7. 14th-17th
16. Tigers - Up: got rid of a lot of dead wood and brought in 4/5 quality players. Stefano and Doeuihi missed 3/4s of the season who were the 2 best players in 2021, not to mention Blore and Talau who missed the whole year. Pack is very strong as is the bench. Backline is pretty aids and who knows what Sheens will bring. Not enough class in the spine to make the 8 but will improve. 10th-12th.

Great post

Tiger Shark

Bench

2022 Ladder:

Stopped reading after you suggested Sharks could go to 10th lol

Top 4 maybe not but with Fitz we will always be a very strong defensive team. They don’t come 10th. We’ll be a top 5 defensive team minimum imo.

Top 8 is a lock - barring some ridiculous injury toll

One Warrior

Bench

2022 Ladder:

Dolphins?

MrBlack

Juniors

Top 4 maybe not but with Fitz we will always be a very strong defensive team. They don’t come 10th. We’ll be a top 5 defensive team minimum imo.

Got to agree here.

cant see any of the top 7 from last year dropping out of the 8 in 2023

all the interest will be in positions 7 to 12. A lot of hyped teams will be dissapointed (dogs broncos eagles tigers etc)

Vic Mackey

Referee

You conceded 70 points in 2 finals games. You know when you had to play someone who wasn’t a bottom 4 side.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
You conceded 70 points in 2 finals games. You know when you had to play someone who wasn’t a bottom 4 side.

Put it in context - lost 32-30 to the Cowboys and 38-12 to the Bunnies - doesn't look as bad as you want it to really.
Finished 2nd on the ladder and with the 3rd best defence 2022. Top 4 2023 highly likely. Dropping out of the 8 - why would you even think so.

MugaB

Coach
1.Penrith
2. Roosters
3. Storm
4. Raiders
5. Cronulla
6. Cowboys
7. Souths
8. Bulldogs

9. Dolphins
10. Tigers
11. Warriors
12. Broncos
13. Parramatta
14. Titans
15. Manly
16. Dragons
17. Knights

mongoose

Coach

2022 Ladder:

you haven't really picked anyone from the bottom 8 to move up though? surely the Dogs are most likely to push their way into the top 8. Manly or Titans could surprise... I agree broncos will be around 7th-10th. I can't see any other bottom 8 sides moving up much...