What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 NRL Match Review Charges & Judiciary

Valheru

Coach
i agree look at Freddy allowing Angus Chricton a few years back to serve a ban through origin because he was an roosters player.

Freddy didn't allow it, he merely said he would have picked him.

I have no problem with rep games being allowed to serve as part of the suspension. If they don't count then let them play in those games. If they are ineligible for selection due to suspension then it should count. I appreciate the rules could be bent to allow for players that were never any realistic chance of getting picked so perhaps some qualification like incumbency or previous appearances within X amount of time is appropriate.

Big Pete

Referee
Live I thought it was just a good hit, but the front on looks ugly.

dvu_290823_nrl_horsburgh_guilty_2023-29-08_12-05-05_202308292209_2628-jpg.78695

Comes off his feet, no attempt to wrap the arm and rushes into the tackle generating more force.

Attachments

• DVU_290823_NRL_HORSBURGH_GUILTY_2023-29-08_12-05-05_202308292209_2628.jpg
    DVU_290823_NRL_HORSBURGH_GUILTY_2023-29-08_12-05-05_202308292209_2628.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 224
i agree look at Freddy allowing Angus Chricton a few years back to serve a ban through origin because he was an roosters player.

That wasn't Freddy's call at all. That was the NRL. They make thosse determinations, not rep coaches. Same thing happened with a player who was suyspended last year, they got to count a WC match as part of their suspeniopn because "they would have otherwise been selected".

Saxon

Bench
Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Sticky got the call about Horsburgh.

Pjf04b

Juniors
That wasn't Freddy's call at all. That was the NRL. They make thosse determinations, not rep coaches. Same thing happened with a player who was suyspended last year, they got to count a WC match as part of their suspeniopn because "they would have otherwise been selected".
That was JWH!

Maximus

Coach

How would the NRL know who would have been selected without talking to the rep coaches?

How would the NRL know who would have been selected without talking to the rep coaches?

Rep coaches are not sole selectors of rep teams. That though was not the point, I was responding to the strongly implied statement that it was Freddy as NSW Origin coach who got Angus Crichton's suspension reduced a week because he was in the selection frame for NSW. That Brad Fittler made that determination for the NRL and applied it to an suspension handed out by the NRL, something which he has no power nor authority to do so.

As such I'd suggest you go back and read the matter in context thank you.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Broncos v Storm​

Brendan Piakura (Brisbane)
  • Grade 1 Careless High Tackle
  • 6th minute, on Grant Anderson
  • Base penalty $1500
  • His options:
    $1500: Guilty at judiciary or plea of no contest
    OR $1000: Guilty - early plea
  • PLEA: TBC
AND
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact
  • 47th minute, on Sua Faalogo
  • Base penalty $1500
  • His options: $1500:
    Guilty at judiciary or plea of no contest
AND
  • 75th minute on Alec MacDonald
  • Base penalty $1500

Frailty

First Grade
I get that the technically the multiple offence increases only apply when found guilty, but surely the penalty should be applied for multiple offences as players have plead guilty, i.e. If Piakura pleads guilty to all charges form this game, his total penalty should be $5,800 rather than $3000. Is this the case?

I'd also argue that if you're guilty of three offences in one game it should probably result in a suspension.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rep coaches are not sole selectors of rep teams. That though was not the point, I was responding to the strongly implied statement that it was Freddy as NSW Origin coach who got Angus Crichton's suspension reduced a week because he was in the selection frame for NSW. That Brad Fittler made that determination for the NRL and applied it to an suspension handed out by the NRL, something which he has no power nor authority to do so.

club bans should be served in club games. rep bans in rep games. Simples.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought Piakura's hit on Anderson was actually worse, but he was fortunate the NRL learned a lesson over the Valentine Holmes hit on Mitch Moses. Piakura received the exact same charge as Val.

There wasn't much force in the McDonald hit and it's a case where an injury has played into the charge.

I wonder if the MRC had the option of giving Piakura a week, if they would have taken it? I'd imagine the idea of 0 vs. 3 weeks came into it.

Saxon

Bench

Broncos v Storm​

Brendan Piakura (Brisbane)
  • 6th minute, on Grant Anderson
  • Base penalty $1500
  • His options:
    $1500: Guilty at judiciary or plea of no contest
AND
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact
  • 47th minute, on Sua Faalogo
  • Base penalty $1500
AND
  • 75th minute on Alec MacDonald
  • Base penalty $1500
F*cking pathetic.

Proof positive that the NRL doesn't actually care about head injuries.

After he's already committed two significant fouls, a shoulder to the head puts Macca in Disneyland and he gets a pissweak fine. No sinbin, no nothing.

Come to think of it, the most pathetic thing about all of this is that it took a Melbourne challenge to a penalty for an incorrect play the ball to identify the high shot. Alec is staggering around like me halfway through my second bottle of Jack, and Klown goes, "but he didn't play the ball correctly, penalty Broncos".
How the f*ck Ashley Klown gets a gig at all - never mind being considered the best referee - truly astounds me.

Maximus

Coach

Last I checked, the NRL aren't selectors at all.

And yes that's exactly how it works. If a rep team advises the NRL that the player would have been selected if not for suspension, they will apply the suspension against the rep game. How else do you think it works?

Saxon

Bench
There wasn't much force in the McDonald hit and it's a case where an injury has played into the charge.
Well there obviously was significant force, it gave Alec an instant and obvious concussion.
And if the injury had played into the charge it would have been at least grade 2.

Big Pete

Referee
Well there obviously was significant force, it gave Alec an instant and obvious concussion.
And if the injury had played into the charge it would have been at least grade 2.
Was it that tackle or was it the combination of getting hit by Palasia and then dipping into Piakura's shoulder? Piakura barely generates any force in the tackle.

Saxon

Bench
Was it that tackle or was it the combination of getting hit by Palasia and then dipping into Piakura's shoulder? Piakura barely generates any force in the tackle.
Did Palasia hit him in the head? cause his head to whiplash back?

Nah, thought not.