What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs State of Origin

callmack1

Staff member
I know it's very, very early but this is the first article we've had relating to us for Origin so I thought why not start a thread early?

'It's good that I'm being noticed' - Keaon Koloamatangi mounting case to make Origin debut: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/b03305df0ab42032e19a218457455c6f

Would love to see this in 2023!! I think Keaon is already well in the frame but if he carries on like this, he'll be almost irresistible to pick. Mind you, it is Freddy so he probably won't even consider him.

callmack1

Staff member
From The Sporting News,

Rabbitohs star Campbell Graham has become an undeniable selection for NSW Blues

Campbell Graham has become an undeniable selection for the NSW Blues this year - and he's got the full backing of some important figures in the game.

The 23-year-old has been in red-hot form this year for the Rabbitohs, scoring 11 tries in 11 games and becoming one of the side's key attacking threats.

Previously known more for his defensive work, Graham has become an imposing figure on the right-edge and along with his growing try-scoring tally, has made 13 linebreaks and averages just shy of 150 run metres per game.

The local junior represented Australia in their successful World Cup campaign last year, capping off a strong year in club land for South Sydney, and is now destined for a spot in the State of Origin arena.

Speaking to The Sporting News prior to the 2023 season, Graham was as humble as ever in regards to his NSW ambitions, claiming his only goal was to produce results for the Bunnies.

"Origin is a goal of mine and I assume it’s a goal of nearly every person who is eligible to play," he said.

“It was very humbling to be able to play for my country… it was an opportunity that I was just stoked to receive. The whole experience in the World Cup was very positive.

"On the field, at training and observing how the best players in the world prepare and how they go about their business. It was a great learning curve for me and also getting to enjoy the whole off-field experience as well was one of the highlights of my life.

"I understand that if my opportunity is going to come, it’s going to come because I’m playing good footy at South Sydney.

"My biggest goal is to help us play good footy here at Souths first and foremost, and if representative opportunities continue to come, they come.

"If they don't, I’m more than happy to keep digging in here at Souths and putting my best foot forward for the club."

Graham is closing in on a debut for NSW, with growing concerns over Tom Trbojevic's fitness likely opening the door for a spot in the centres, while the likes of Stephen Crichton, Josh Addo-Carr and Joseph Suaalii are also in the mix for spots in the outside backs.

And given the potential for a deadly duo of Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow and Valentine Holmes out wide for Queensland this year, Graham's size and presence on both sides of the ball could be integral for the series favourites.

Latrell Mitchell urges NSW to select Rabbitohs teammate

One of the key players for the Blues this year is Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell, who will be back on deck after missing last year's Origin series due to injury.

While he is expected to line up in the centres, the 25-year-old has formed a strong bond on and off the field with the man dubbed 'Stretch' but his teammates.

In an interview with The Sydney Morning Herald, Latrell hyped up his Souths partner in crime and believes he has what it takes to excel in the tough Origin arena.

“Campbell Graham gives me the motivation to want to be a better player," he told the publication.

"That’s someone you want to play with. He has every attribute you need to be an Origin player, and then some.

"The way he performs and conducts himself as a player and person, it’s a credit to himself.

"He deserves that right [centre] spot. I couldn’t fault his performances."

QLD Maroons star backs Campbell Graham for Origin success

While many from north of the border will be hoping Graham is overlooked for NSW selection, one man who is backing him to succeed is Souths teammate and Maroons star Jai Arrow.

Speaking on The Sporting News/YKTR exclusive podcast EBBS AND FLOWS, the 11-time Origin representative claimed the Blues couldn't possibly overlook the Coogee Wombats junior.

"He has been knocking on that door for a few years now... I reckon he is at the stage now where he is about to knock the f*****g thing down," Arrow said.

"They can’t say no to him – I feel as though they can’t. I reckon he is the best defensive centre in the comp at the moment."

Liam Knight was also full of praise for Graham, pointing out the Bunnies' improved right-side attack and the centre's high work rate.

“We’re a left-side dominant team, but I think we’ve scored more tries on the right this year and Stretch has scored 11 himself," the front-rower said.

"He’s a freak – he has always been one of those guys at every training session that’s ripping in, carving up and giving it everything.

"He’s a bit older, bit bigger, got a bit more confidence – I think last year he was unlucky not to get an Origin spot.

"He’s got a big frame and you know those 10-metre carries that no one wants, he is sitting there frothing like a dog."

Jason Demetriou hoping to see Rabbitoh star earn Origin debut

You could forgive Jason Demetriou for wanting to see Graham miss out on selection and be available through a tricky period for the club, given the likes of Mitchell, Damien Cook and Cameron Murray will all be absent.

But like all good coaches in the NRL, the second-year Rabbitohs boss wants his players to strive for higher honours.

“I’d love that – I think he is doing everything he can to earn that," Demetriou told 100% Footy.

"He’s got 80 minutes this weekend and then it’s in the selectors’ hands. If it’s not this year, it will be at some point – he is made for Origin.

"He is a big aggressive centre and I think what we are seeing this year is him showcasing his attacking abilities too, which has been really good for us."

Rabbits20

Immortal

The Fittler and Joey Johns show. Doesn’t look like Campbell will make it, really are we that surprised!!!

Joey and Fittler say Turbo is good to go. Johns gives his team and the impression I get is this won’t be far off what’s named. Oh well no Campbell potentially is better for us!

Teddy
To’o
Trell
Turbo
Addo Carr
Luai
Cleary
Haas
Cook
Jurbo
Murray
Haumole/Martin
Yeo

Api
H. Yoing
D. Saifiti
Paulo

That was Johns team and as I said the impression I get from Fittler is it won’t be far off. Maybe Hynes over Api.

callmack1

Staff member

The Fittler and Joey Johns show. Doesn’t look like Campbell will make it, really are we that surprised!!!

Joey and Fittler say Turbo is good to go. Johns gives his team and the impression I get is this won’t be far off what’s named. Oh well no Campbell potentially is better for us!

Teddy
To’o
Trell
Turbo
Addo Carr
Luai
Cleary
Haas
Cook
Jurbo
Murray
Haumole/Martin
Yeo

Api
H. Yoing
D. Saifiti
Paulo

That was Johns team and as I said the impression I get from Fittler is it won’t be far off. Maybe Hynes over Api.
Surely there's no way Stretch won't get picked. Aside from injury of course. If he doesn't, serious questions need to be asked. It would be a real crime.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench

Teddy
To’o
Trell
Turbo
Addo Carr
Luai
Cleary
Haas
Cook
Jurbo
Murray
Haumole/Martin
Yeo

Api
H. Yoing
D. Saifiti
Paulo

Turbo, Jurbo, AdoCarr and Martin are all under done.

Fittler has to be careful not to select Penrith like he did last year.

Talk is Crichton for AC. Graham should be the first choice centre if Turbo continues to struggle before selection. Never understood Luai gets a free ride because Cleary is there. Based on the AC schmozzle last season, you'd think Api is going to pay for being a Tiger, even though he's a gun, so Cook probably in.

Middle rotation doesn't fill me with confidence.

callmack1

Staff member
QLD Live - Slater slams star's 'silly' act as big Origin headache looms, Maroons team to be revealed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/60a59029007d8f50246c4f546193e34a

NSW Live - Knights star's return, Hyne's bench role revealed as Freddy breaks silence: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...r/news-story/df69c994a9b8607cbf0baa2532bdae58

Exciting day tomorrow as the teams are named!! Can't wait.

Certainly mixed emotions with this kind of stuff. We know Trell, Cam and Cooky will most likely get picked. But I have mixed feelings on the likes of Jai and Stretch. Stretch especially because he'd be making his debut. On the one hand, I'd love to see them picked because it rewards their form, it's a huge career moment, they come out a better player and well, it's just friggin awesome!! However, the selfish Souths fan in me would love to have them lining up against Canberra next weekend.

We shall see what happens tomorrow. Eagerly awaiting these teams this year!

callmack1

Staff member
NSW Live - Shock debutant after Trbojevic ruled out, Freddy swing axe on Souths star: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...r/news-story/df69c994a9b8607cbf0baa2532bdae58

While I'm happy we'll have Cooky against the Raiders, it's very rough of Fittler to leave him out. Very rough. He's been in better form than Api who had one good game on the weekend. Feel for Damien, that's rough.

QLD Live - Arrow, Flegler set to earn Maroons recall as bans create forwards crisis: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/60a59029007d8f50246c4f546193e34a

Arrow in by the sounds of it.

Thumper

Juniors
All to be expected.
Freddie is guided by Johns, brandy and Gus. All with a prejudice against Souths.

Pangai and Foxx in. Bulldogs. Gus
Api in. Ex Penrith. Brandy.
Frizell in. Newcastle. Johns.
Turbo plays 1 good game and gets in. f**king disgrace.
Luai the same. 1 good game gets in.

I am shattered for Campbell. I am a little worried he will be 18th man. Last year 18th man didn’t play club football the week before. Could be another kick in the dick for him and us.
As a Qlder I’m happy with Freddie’s selections.

callmack1

Staff member
Origin debut awaits Walsh as Maroons make mass changes: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/05/22/walsh-to-make-origin-debut-as-maroons-make-mass-changes/

Jeez, some surprises in the Queensland squad. No Ponga, no Gagai, no Capewell. However, I kind of agree with all of their replacements, they're justified and make sense. It's a pretty strong squad I've got to say, no one there you'd really question or say is out of form, so Slater has done well.

Huge congrats to Jai on being selected! Bloody awesome and I hope he kills it.

Graham ruled out for Blues, trio to debut as Fittler makes 'gamble': https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/05/22/hynes-trbojevic-headline-blues-squad-for-origin-opener/

Far out, you certainly can't say the same for the NSW squad. I want some of what Fittler is smoking. Trbojevic, played one good game all year and gets picked over Stretch who has been smashing the door down. Addo-Carr, been injured for a long time and only had one outstanding game, Luai has only played one good game all year, friggin Pangai Jnr?!! Is he serious? How could you possibly pick him over some other guys? Pangai Jnr has done nothing all year, yet he gets picked?!! Koroisau over Cooky is another one. While I wouldn't say Cooky has been outstanding for us, he's been better than Api who hasn't done much apart from the one game on the weekend. Cook outplayed him in Round 11.

I guess you can't write guys off, these could all be master strokes from Freddy, but right now, it looks incredibly questionable. Not justified selections in my eyes. His job is on the line, and he wants to gamble? Wow.

Congrats to Cam and Trell for being selected again. It was never in doubt with those two but still one hell of an achievement so well done. I'll also say congrats to Stretch, He deserved to be in the 17, hard done by to be 18th man and has since withdrawn. But congrats to him, he should be there and I'm sure he knows that now.

Man, oh, man. Storylines everywhere. Game 1 is going to be interesting.

callmack1

Staff member
Graham Withdrawn From Origin 1 by Blues: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/22/graham-withdrawn-from-origin-i-by-blues/

Origin mystery as snubbed star pulled from NSW squad, given chance of playing NRL this week: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...y/news-story/8a73e33caf8225a95a497847670579bb

Very, very interesting. On the one hand, I'm gutted for Stretch. I was gutted for him to not be picked in the 17 in the first place when he so deserved it, but I'm even more gutted for him to have to withdraw. I'm sure, despite not playing, he would have loved to have been there for the week and it would have been a great experience for him. However, I also say well played to the club. Clearly, they knew about this but didn't say anything and were waiting to see if he'd be fully picked or not. If he was in the 17, I'm pretty confident this wouldn't have even been brought up, Campbell would train and play. But since he was robbed of a spot, Souths and Stretch decided to bring it up, and he's now a chance of playing for us this weekend which would be HUGE! Well played Stretch and well played Souths!! So, gutted for Campbell but also very excited we may now have him lining up against the Raiders!!

callmack1

Staff member
QLD Winners and Losers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/28b0f927e7cf464e3034d3b5d605fdb9

NSW Winners and Losers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...r/news-story/43b7b3c49994d7b6b4f23b34af2fe287

'Tough phone calls' - Billy grilled over Ponga bombshell, axings as Queensland abandon 'pick and stick': https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/60a59029007d8f50246c4f546193e34a

'Let's have a gamble' - Freddy rolls dice on bolter, Turbo as NSW halves battle decided... for now: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...r/news-story/df69c994a9b8607cbf0baa2532bdae58

handyman2190

Bench
Graham Withdrawn From Origin 1 by Blues: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/22/graham-withdrawn-from-origin-i-by-blues/

Origin mystery as snubbed star pulled from NSW squad, given chance of playing NRL this week: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...y/news-story/8a73e33caf8225a95a497847670579bb

Very, very interesting. On the one hand, I'm gutted for Stretch. I was gutted for him to not be picked in the 17 in the first place when he so deserved it, but I'm even more gutted for him to have to withdraw. I'm sure, despite not playing, he would have loved to have been there for the week and it would have been a great experience for him. However, I also say well played to the club. Clearly, they knew about this but didn't say anything and were waiting to see if he'd be fully picked or not. If he was in the 17, I'm pretty confident this wouldn't have even been brought up, Campbell would train and play. But since he was robbed of a spot, Souths and Stretch decided to bring it up, and he's now a chance of playing for us this weekend which would be HUGE! Well played Stretch and well played Souths!! So, gutted for Campbell but also very excited we may now have him lining up against the Raiders!!
You know what,this nsw team is a joke,the fox and martin are underdone, turbo is like a loose tooth, api hasnt played a full game all year, pengai jnr what a joke, he is in on the half game sunday and hasnt had a consistent performance in 2 years. Hynze should be 5/8 lui has had 1 good game Etc etc etc
Fitler will get his marching orders after this series and none too soon, the nepotism is disgusting,and quite frankly they dont deserve our campbell,master stroke from the club getting him ruled out.
This mob of selectors are on something that causes delusion. I wont be wasting my time,and id be taking laurie daleys 2.25