What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ladder predictions

Valheru

Coach
That time of year again

I'm going to organise mine in groups of 4 (5 for the bottom group in a 17 team comp), I have also forced myself to stick to the long term trend of an average of 1-2 teams coming out of the previous years top 4, 3-4 coming out of the top 8 and one bolter making the 8 from the bottom 4 (5 in this case).

Here we go and in no particular order within the groups

TOP 4

PENRITH
- I do think this will be the year they slide a bit but way too much quality to not make the top 4
Roosters - I think we finally worked out our best team and brought some key young forwards and backs along which will see us return to the top 4
Storm - Didn't look up to it really in 2023 but I can't back against Bellamy and a spine of Paps, Hughes, Munster and Grant to not make the top 4
Cowboys - Looked bottom 4 and top 4 at different times in 2023. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they return to the top 4

NEXT 4

Broncos
- Very difficult to predict this one. They were the best team in 2023 IMO and would have won the MP if they cared about the last game. They also had PENRITH well and truly beat in the GF until the chin turned in an all time performance. It's hard to say what that type of a loss in a GF will do so I'm going to say they just miss the 4
Sharks - Don't see much changing for them which is both good and bad. Good in that they will be competitive but bad in that they will never look like winning the comp and will lose in week 1 again
Dolphins - My bolter to make the 8. Bennett clearly has them playing for each other and a few additions will see them squeeze in to the 8
Parra - Who knows with this team. Seem to be able to beat PENRITH at will but will just as soon lose to the tigers. They will just sneak in to the 8

IN THE HUNT

Knights
- Don't think they had any business being in the finals and that showed in their finals performances. AOB to be under immense pressure by season's end
Souths - Logic dictates this talented squad returns to the top 8, if not top 4. However, that last 8 weeks was an epic capitulation and i get the feeling that things aren't quite right behind the scenes with the (aging) leadership group and the coach
Titans - Similar boat to the dragons but just a bit further along IMO. Des will get some better performances out of them and they will finish 3-4 spots higher
Warriors - Sorry warriors fans but I've seen this movie before. Has this club ever had 2 good seasons in a row? I hope i'm wrong but I can't predict consistency from them at this stage

BOTTOM 4 (5)

Tigers
- Doesn't meed much explanation. it's really difficult to see them being competitive any time soon
Dragons - I think they will ultimately be ok under Flanno and turn in some respectable performances but another year of pain before they get closer to the 8
Raiders - They had even less business being in the 8 than the Knights. They won't win the close games that got them there this time but will still cop some floggings
Bulldogs - They have bought everyone so maybe that will work but I can't put them in the next group until they show me something on the field
Manly - I think they are on a long road of failure with Siebold in charge. Turbo will keep them well away from the spoon though.

I look forward to this being laughably wrong.

yobbo84

First Grade
Sorry for the somewhat re-hash from last year, but:

1. PENRITH!
2. The other favourites
3. One of the usual top sides
4. My team, who I really want to put higher, but don't want to appear too biased
5. Who cares
6. Who cares
7. Random bolter
8. The team I hate but are too good to leave out of the 8

9. The team I don't like but are too good to put down the bottom
10. That team who will drop out of the 8 from last season but are still OK
11. The decent team with a massive injury crisis
12. The Queensland team whose turn it is to be crap this year
13. Who cares
14. Who cares
15. Who cares
16. The enemy

17. Wests Tigers

Woody90

Juniors
That time of year again

I'm going to organise mine in groups of 4 (5 for the bottom group in a 17 team comp), I have also forced myself to stick to the long term trend of an average of 1-2 teams coming out of the previous years top 4, 3-4 coming out of the top 8 and one bolter making the 8 from the bottom 4 (5 in this case).

TOP 4

PENRITH
- I do think this will be the year they slide a bit but way too much quality to not make the top 4
Roosters - I think we finally worked out our best team and brought some key young forwards and backs along which will see us return to the top 4
Storm - Didn't look up to it really in 2023 but I can't back against Bellamy and a spine of Paps, Hughes, Munster and Grant to not make the top 4
Cowboys - Looked bottom 4 and top 4 at different times in 2023. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they return to the top 4

NEXT 4

Broncos
- Very difficult to predict this one. They were the best team in 2023 IMO and would have won the MP if they cared about the last game. They also had PENRITH well and truly beat in the GF until the chin turned in an all time performance. It's hard to say what that type of a loss in a GF will do so I'm going to say they just miss the 4
Sharks - Don't see much changing for them which is both good and bad. Good in that they will be competitive but bad in that they will never look like winning the comp and will lose in week 1 again
Dolphins - My bolter to make the 8. Bennett clearly has them playing for each other and a few additions will see them squeeze in to the 8
Parra - Who knows with this team. Seem to be able to beat PENRITH at will but will just as soon lose to the tigers. They will just sneak in to the 8

IN THE HUNT

Knights
- Don't think they had any business being in the finals and that showed in their finals performances. AOB to be under immense pressure by season's end
Souths - Logic dictates this talented squad returns to the top 8, if not top 4. However, that last 8 weeks was an epic capitulation and i get the feeling that things aren't quite right behind the scenes with the (aging) leadership group and the coach
Titans - Similar boat to the dragons but just a bit further along IMO. Des will get some better performances out of them and they will finish 3-4 spots higher
Warriors - Sorry warriors fans but I've seen this movie before. Has this club ever had 2 good seasons in a row? I hope i'm wrong but I can't predict consistency from them at this stage

BOTTOM 4 (5)

Tigers
- Doesn't meed much explanation. it's really difficult to see them being competitive any time soon
Dragons - I think they will ultimately be ok under Flanno and turn in some respectable performances but another year of pain before they get closer to the 8
Raiders - They had even less business being in the 8 than the Knights. They won't win the close games that got them there this time but will still cop some floggings
Bulldogs - They have bought everyone so maybe that will work but I can't put them in the next group until they show me something on the field
Manly - I think they are on a long road of failure with Siebold in charge. Turbo will keep them well away from the spoon though.

Saying the Knights and Raiders didn’t deserve to make the finals this year but then putting the Roosters in the top 4 who had to rely on the Cowboys losing to make it this year is quite the statement.

Vic Mackey

Referee
2023 was a strange year, basically to me it was:

2 Really good sides
12 average sides
3 shit sides

I saw little difference from say the Titans who came 14th and Knights who came 5th. Their soft draw got the Sharks and Raiders a spot so Id have to see it for 2024 before tipping anything.

Def can see the Dolphins jumping into the 8 and feel the Storm have a lot more worries then perhaps others do.

Valheru

Coach
Saying the Knights and Raiders didn’t deserve to make the finals this year but then putting the Roosters in the top 4 who had to rely on the Cowboys losing to make it this year is quite the statement.
I didn't say they didn't deserve it, I said they had no business being there as in they were a class below the other 6 and I believe their performances vindicate my statement

Roosters finished 7th so had cowboys won they finish 8th.

Also it's just a prediction, feel free to disagree and post your own

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
actually history says we will stay in the top 8 or top 4- Warriors good periods generally come in blocks (2001-2003, 2006-2011), we don’t have single good years then crash again. Our successful periods are clearly tied to the coaches at the time (Anderson, Cleary and fingers crossed now Webster)

Last edited:

Munky

Coach
actually history says we will stay in the top 8 or top 4- Warriors good periods generally come in blocks (2001-2003, 2006-2011), we don’t have single good years then crash again. Our successful periods are clearly tied to the coaches at the time (Anderson, Cleary and fingers crossed now Webster)

Cleary and Anderson both made grand finals with the Warriors and teams after.

With any luck Webster can get the job done for you guys.

Only if PENRITH aren't winning though

bazza

Immortal
That time of year again

TOP 4

PENRITH

NEXT 4

Broncos

IN THE HUNT

Knights

BOTTOM 4 (5)

Tigers

1 Parramatta
2 Brisbane
3 Newcastle
4 Warriors
5 Melbourne
6 Cowboys
7 Manly
8 Titans
9 Penrith
10 Dolphins
11 Souths
12 Canberra
13 Tigers
14 Sharks
15 Dogs
16 Saints
17 Roosters

JokerEel

Coach
That time of year again

TOP 4

PENRITH

NEXT 4

Broncos

IN THE HUNT

Knights

BOTTOM 4 (5)

Tigers

Panfers and Broncs to lead the competition again..

Cowboys wont make the 8 and the Roosters will battle to make the 8 along with the Eels again..

1. Penrith - the diamond standard. Only the Broncos, Roosters and Warriors can stop the 4peat.

2. Broncos - out for revenge, will make a point in 2024.

3. Roosters - provided there are no more Robbo brain farts like dropping Walker or moving Manu to 5/8, with Leniu and Young on board they will be contenders. Their season will largely come down to how well Brandon Smith plays.

4. Warriors - Webster has instilled toughness and resilience in this team, they are NOT the Warriors of old. They will be better for gaining finals experience this year. Johnson knows he's running out of time to win a premiership, so he will play every game like it's his last.

5. Titans - Hasler will unlock their young guns and they will be lethal in attack, expect some big scores from them this year against the also-rans.

6. Knights - Ponga will continue to fire on all cylinders, they lost Young but their other outside backs are quality. The forward pack while not exactly strong will do enough for Ponga to do his thing. Their halves will continue to prove naysayers wrong.

7. Storm - good enough for the 8 but they are fading. Their forward pack is weak. Hughes is not the long-term answer at halfback.

8. Dolphins - the Bennett factor will lift them into the 8, they are also gaining Flegler and Farnsworth who are both quality.

9. Dogs - will drastically improve due to more ruthless standards being imposed by the coach, still not enough to make the 8. Will make the 8 in 2025.

10. Sharks - Hynes can't do it all on his own but will be unfairly blamed for the Sharks not making the 8, there is no fight in that forward pack. The team is in real need of an attitude adjustment.

11. Souths - Internal ructions in the club will drag them down, I expect Latrell to walk at some point.

12. Parramatta - I honestly don't know where to put them. They could absolutely fire and make the 8, or they could continue to tank like they did this season. They're a complete wildcard. I put them at 12, but they could go up as far as 5th.

13. Saints - Flanno will install some grit and determination, but while their captain is a bloke who doesn't even believe in the club, they won't be much of a threat. There is some hope for the future with Flanno in charge, but it will take time. Saints fans need to stay the course instead of always demanding the coach be sacked.

14. Cowboys - Townsend will be dropped permanently mid-season. Payten will hold on to his job, and his team will turn a corner, but it won't be in 2024.

15. Tigers - they are going nowhere with Benji as coach. Recruitment targets don't want to sign with them, hell I bet even some of the current players don't want to play for them. Purgatory as far as the eye can see.

16. Canberra - this is going to get real ugly. Stuart will blame Wighton for leaving the club, but we all know who the real problem is. Jarrod Croker will be glad he's retired.

17. Manly - Seibold will continue to drag this once proud club down. DCE will be thinking about retirement, the team will be confused with Seibold's game plans, Luke Brooks will be wondering what he has to do to play with a winning team. I predict they win their first spoon.

I didn't say they didn't deserve it, I said they had no business being there as in they were a class below the other 6 and I believe their performances vindicate my statement

What shit are you putting in that Almond milk mocha latte Rooster boy?

Apey

Staff member

You think Knights were a class below everyone but the Raiders? Haha please. The Roosters Sharks final was the worst quality final this year and we beat the Sharks several weeks earlier by 26 points (- Hynes, yes, - our halfback too). That side of the draw was a joke besides Penrith.