What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Match Review & Judiciary charges

Someguy

First Grade
Hilarious that they had to charge Grant to justify the binning.

Not that a suspension would matter at this point but surprised the Cleary hip drop on Kiraz wasnt 2-3 weeks, nearly broke his leg

skeepe

Immortal
One of the inconsistencies in the game that drives me mad:

Tripping is only a penalty on the field - no bin - but the base penalty for the tripping charge is 2 matches.

Contact with a kicker’s leg results in a sin bin on the field, but the base penalty for the dangerous contact charge is $1,500.

It just doesn’t make sense.

Saxon

Bench
All we want is consistency. (Well, correct decisions and consistency).
But I guarantee all we will get is more of Annesley's embarrassing "Every situation is different" bullshit.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
If Sandon Smith isn't charged it's an absolute rort. Was nastier than any of the other "contact with the kicker's leg" incidents that have been in the headlines and doesn't seem to have rated an official mention yet anywhere?

Valheru

Coach
Hope to see Keary missing some football.
I don't get the uproar with this one

It was awkward as he palmed him and then Keary grabbed his arm which he is entitled to do, he let go on the way down and Johnson was well and truly injured prior to that.

Meth

Staff member
If Sandon Smith isn't charged it's an absolute rort. Was nastier than any of the other "contact with the kicker's leg" incidents that have been in the headlines and doesn't seem to have rated an official mention yet anywhere?

I took my eyes off the screen and missed this one.

Meth

Staff member
I don't get the uproar with this one

It was awkward as he palmed him and then Keary grabbed his arm which he is entitled to do, he let go on the way down and Johnson was well and truly injured prior to that.

lots of illegal tackles start with awkward entanglements. But it was a chicken wing, all day IMO (which may be clouded by bias, of course)

SJ being injured previously doesn’t come into it…in fact, it arguably makes it worse.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Just to show that I'm not that biased, I actually didn't think the Suualii incident was that bad? He did raise the knee a little bit but the way Egan was attempting the tackle meant that sort of injury was always likely?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I took my eyes off the screen and missed this one.
It was more like the Lussick/Ilias incident in that he made contact just after Walker kicked the ball so obviously more forceful/dangerous contact, and Walker actually went off injured.

I only caught one replay of it so I'd want to watch it again before condemning Smith too much, but it actually looked like he tried to block the kick with his foot and there might have been foot on foot contact. It was almost more like a bad tackle in a football match.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Sydney Roosters v Warriors​

Joseph Aukuso-Suallii (Sydney)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Wayde Egan (22 min)
  • Base Penalty $1500
  • His options
    $1500 - guilty / no contest
    $1000 - early plea
  • PLEA: TBC
Luke Keary (Sydney)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Shaun Johnson (25 min)
  • Base Penalty $1500
  • 2nd offence last 12 months
  • His options
    $2500 - guilty / no contest
    $1800 - early plea
Angus Crichton (Sydney)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact (trip) on Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (60 min)
  • Base Penalty $1500
  • His options
    $1000 - early plea
Sandon Smith (Sydney)
  • Grade 2 Dangerous Contact on Dylan Walker (75 min)
  • Base Penalty 2 matches
  • His options
    2 matches - guilty / no contest
    1 match - early plea

Gold Coast Titans v North Queensland Cowboys​

Griffin Neame (North Qld)
  • Grade 1 Crusher Tackle on Keano Kini (9 min)
  • Base Penalty $2000
  • His options
    $2000 - guilty / no contest
    $1500 - early plea
Reece Robson (North Qld)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Beau Fermor (59 min)
  • Base Penalty $1500
  • His options
    $1000 - early plea
Moeaki Fotuaika (Gold Coast)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Tom Dearden (79 min)
  • Base Penalty $1500
  • 3rd+ offence last 12 months
  • His options
    $3000 - early plea

Valheru

Coach
lots of illegal tackles start with awkward entanglements. But it was a chicken wing, all day IMO (which may be clouded by bias, of course)

SJ being injured previously doesn’t come into it…in fact, it arguably makes it worse.
I could cop a penalty over it and a fine (which has happened) but it was an accident so I don't think time out is required IMO

Valheru

Coach
It was more like the Lussick/Ilias incident in that he made contact just after Walker kicked the ball so obviously more forceful/dangerous contact, and Walker actually went off injured.

I only caught one replay of it so I'd want to watch it again before condemning Smith too much, but it actually looked like he tried to block the kick with his foot and there might have been foot on foot contact. It was almost more like a bad tackle in a football match.
Yeah that is more what happened after watching it closely. He got there before Walker kicked it and almost tried to trap it as if it were going to be a grubber kick. He missed though and made contact so you pay the penalty in that case.

Just to show that I'm not that biased, I actually didn't think the Suualii incident was that bad? He did raise the knee a little bit but the way Egan was attempting the tackle meant that sort of injury was always likely?

Rugby Joe has been warned about this before and I'm surprised he got away with a fine. IMO this was the worst of the lot as everything else was an accident.

yobbo84

Coach
The NRL has got themselves into a knot here once again.

Sandon Smith shouldn't be suspended for 1 week.
Jacob Host shouldn't have been suspended for 2 weeks last round.
Harry Grant charged?

All for lightly clipping a leg. Absolute nonsense charges - all of them.

Suallii in particular should have been suspended. He's been warned and charged multiple times. Absolute farce it's only a fine. Keary probably should have got a week too.

simmo1

First Grade
Isaiah Papali'i (Wests Tigers)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact (trip) on Leo Thompson (21 min)
  • Base Penalty 2 matches
  • His options
    1 match - early plea

Angus Crichton (Sydney)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact (trip) on Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (60 min)
  • Base Penalty $1500
  • His options
    $1000 - early plea

Am I missing something here? Same charge, different punishments?

soc123_au

Staff member
Hilarious that they had to charge Grant to justify the binning.

Not that a suspension would matter at this point but surprised the Cleary hip drop on Kiraz wasnt 2-3 weeks, nearly broke his leg
Tell us you don't understand what a hip drop is without telling us you dont know what a hip drop is.