What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Match Review & Judiciary charges

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Well, at least they didn't miss the Sandon Smith one and there's even a modicum of consistency with other charges in that instance at least

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The NRL has got themselves into a knot here once again.

Sandon Smith shouldn't be suspended for 1 week.

Interested in what you make of Ilias's broken leg then. Lussick made accidental leg on leg contact while attempting a charge down with the arms, whereas Smith deliberately stuck his foot in (that's not saying Lussick isn't culpable, just that it's deliberate vs negligent or reckless). Smith caused at least a minor injury (Walker left the field with a lower leg issue) and it's the sort of thing that could definitely break an ankle or similar.

no name

Coach
Interesting that Sandon Smith stayed on the field yet is looking at suspension but Harry Grant was binned and only a fine.
The refs all over the shop and can’t get on the same page.

Vic Mackey

Referee
One of the inconsistencies in the game that drives me mad:

Tripping is only a penalty on the field - no bin - but the base penalty for the tripping charge is 2 matches.

Contact with a kicker’s leg results in a sin bin on the field, but the base penalty for the dangerous contact charge is $1,500.

It just doesn’t make sense.

it isnt

the base penalty for tripping is a fine, which every charge gets, except for papaliis who got grade 2

tigers players have now received the highest grade charges for hip drops and tripping, 3 of the 4 highest charges of the year, and not one has resulted in the 'victim' missing a second of playing time

Apey

Staff member

Sydney Roosters v Warriors​

Sandon Smith (Sydney)
  • Grade 2 Dangerous Contact on Dylan Walker (75 min)
  • Base Penalty 2 matches
  • His options
    2 matches - guilty / no contest
    1 match - early plea
  • PLEA: TBC
lol, you really do have to wonder sometimes, if it is incompetence or something else.

Apey

Staff member
Interested in what you make of Ilias's broken leg then. Lussick made accidental leg on leg contact while attempting a charge down with the arms, whereas Smith deliberately stuck his foot in (that's not saying Lussick isn't culpable, just that it's deliberate vs negligent or reckless). Smith caused at least a minor injury (Walker left the field with a lower leg issue) and it's the sort of thing that could definitely break an ankle or similar.
he thinks Lussick should have got about 8 weeks because it was on a Souths player

there wasn't much in it in reality and Lussick's suspension was just reflective of the injury rather than the incident itself

Apey

Staff member
it isnt

the base penalty for tripping is a fine, which every charge gets, except for papaliis who got grade 2

tigers players have now received the highest grade charges for hip drops and tripping, 3 of the 4 highest charges of the year, and not one has resulted in the 'victim' missing a second of playing time
I need to see Crichtons' one again but I thought Papaliis was pretty bad tbh

yobbo84

Coach
he thinks Lussick should have got about 8 weeks because it was on a Souths player

there wasn't much in it in reality and Lussick's suspension was just reflective of the injury rather than the incident itself
No. Lussick was reckless. The speed and force ensured that. His leg broke for a reason.

The others you could barely classify as careless. More incidental/accidental.

Valheru

Coach
Oh that’s why he only got a fine?

It was already a little farked and Keary just farked it for good. So just a fine today son.
I'm saying your statement below is wrong. He was injured prior to that.

Johnson out with a pec injury from a chicken wing tackle from Keary

Valheru

Coach
I need to see Crichtons' one again but I thought Papaliis was pretty bad tbh
Crighton's was almost not a trip

He stuck both his leg and arm out against the momentum of his body and his leg made contact just prior to his arm.

lots of illegal tackles start with awkward entanglements. But it was a chicken wing, all day IMO (which may be clouded by bias, of course)

SJ being injured previously doesn’t come into it…in fact, it arguably makes it worse.
I thought Luke pulled out of it before it got silly and dangerous. Thought Suaalii’s knee to get more attention tbh

Bazal

Post Whore
The outrage and suspension over the Lussick thing has put the NRL into a corner of their own making tbh.

It was about 10% as bad as it was made out to be, he never attacks the legs, it was knee on leg contact, the NSWRL/NRL whoever was responsible for the charge bought into the hype and now we're here

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
No. Lussick was reckless. The speed and force ensured that. His leg broke for a reason.

The others you could barely classify as careless. More incidental/accidental.

You can't seriously believe that. I'll cop that Lussick was "reckless" in the sense that he put himself into the "kicking space" even if the actual contact made, leg on leg, was clearly not intended.

However if you apply the same logic there's no way you can then call Smith's one "accidental" when he deliberately put his foot directly into the "kicking space" in an attempt to play the ball?

The worst you could say for Lussick is they were both "reckless" in that they're both getting into the danger area, but even that would require you to ignore that Lussick's contact was with a part of his body that wasn't playing at the ball while Smith's contact was with the exact part of his body he was trying to block the ball with.

Lussick going in harder is a factor that I accept can be considered but that's a different consideration to deliberate vs reckless vs accidental. A deliberate action doesn't become accidental because it's done with less force, and an accident doesn't become deliberate because it's forceful.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
This one in NSW Cup on Friday was worse than any of the NRL ones and maybe even Lussicks'. I think he got 1 week (can't seem to find NSWCup suspensions anywhere) and was sinbinned.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Honestly I used to believe that (as per the way it pretty much used to be refereed) defenders were entitled to make a genuine attempt to charge the ball down, and if you kicked the ball "in traffic" there was inevitably going to be a risk of injury, as there is with any collision. I'd still be happy with that interpretation but I think the ship has well and truly sailed. As it is, I'd be ok with a change so that only "diving at the legs" was penalised.