What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R9 Thu - South Sydney 12-42 Penrith @ Accor

Round 9: South Sydney v Penrith

• South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black Panther

Juniors
Honest question for those who know the rules better. Gray copped an injury from a sin binned offence, so why couldn't we bring in our 18th man? Is it because he played on? Do you have to go off immediately for that to take effect?
I thought the 18th man could only be activated for HIA instances, more than 3. Maybe the rule changed though.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Honest question for those who know the rules better. Gray copped an injury from a sin binned offence, so why couldn't we bring in our 18th man? Is it because he played on? Do you have to go off immediately for that to take effect?
I thought the rule was that you can? Surely the fact that he played another 15 mins before succumbing to the injury shouldn’t matter? Then again this is the NRL

snickers007

Juniors

Here's what the NRL said in 2021 when they brought it in: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/06...ayer-rule-for-foul-play-or-three-failed-hias/

An 18th player will only be able to take the field when three players fail a head injury assessment or when a player suffers a match-ending injury caused by foul play, in which the opposing player was either sin-binned or sent off.

Has since been changed to 2 failed HIAs - but the foul play causing injury is a bit ambiguous.
Obviously Gray succumbed to the injury caused by the foul play. By my eye, Souths 18th man should have been allowed. I can also see how a cynical coach could game the system with this interpretation however.

Valheru

Coach
Great so now you know what a driver is.

Hooefully Karen Robinson was watching too.

You actually have to drive to be penalised.
No you don't, you just have to lend weight.

It's ok to say they got it wrong against the roosters, the world won't end.

yobbo84

Coach
I thought the rule was that you can? Surely the fact that he played another 15 mins before succumbing to the injury shouldn’t matter? Then again this is the NRL
It wouldn't surprise me if we were allowed but noone there had the forethought to ask the question

It was mentioned on SEN during the week that Hornby has been part of the set up for the past year or two. If JD’s coaching was the problem, (which I don’t think it totally is) then Hornby is part of the problem.
This has been highlighted by trotting out the same team this week.
To be fair to Hornby, by the time he was appointed it was 48hrs to the game with the team sheet already posted.

If you want to identify the problem at Souths, just there looks like a good starting point.

yobbo84

Coach
So the next day I still feel like our performance last night was nowhere near as bad as people in the media are making out. The Storm and Warriors games were much, much worse.

During the second half we had lost our halfback AND our fullback from a team that prior to the game was already missing 14 of our Top 30... and it was 18-12 with 20 mins to go.

From that point our hooker playing fullback was struggling, our lock and backrower in the centres were struggling, and our forwards forced to play extra minutes were struggling.

Against Penrith.

2 of the 3 main architects of our shit on field performances (head coach and COO/head of football) are gone.... get rid of the high performance (lol) manager next, and get bloody fit.

I'll judge if there's any improvement over the next month when we start getting some players back. I won't expect reserve graders to beat a Panthers side only missing a couple of players.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Benjamin Hornbus lost his debut match as a player to Penrith by the same score line back in the 19-dickitees.

Latest posts