What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Squad List

TheRev

First Grade
Fifita cant do anything until/unless he gets that motor going.. if the reality is he really cant play more than 10mins before hes goneskies.. then he is rly no use in any position.. imo he needs to be in Cup and pushed every week until those numbers get bigger... if he misses tackles in cup its not the end of the world.

Fifita cant do anything until/unless he gets that motor going.. if the reality is he really cant play more than 10mins before hes goneskies.. then he is rly no use in any position.. imo he needs to be in Cup and pushed every week until those numbers get bigger... if he misses tackles in cup its not the end of the world.
I watched him play quite a few games of Cup last year and the eye test told me he was not a high workrate or high minutes player. I just went and looked at the stats. He played 15 games of Cup last year and didn't run for 100 meters once. To put that into perspective, there was a game in NZ where the Couchman brothers ran for 250 meters each!

TheRev

First Grade
I watched him play quite a few games of Cup last year and the eye test told me he was not a high workrate or high minutes player. I just went and looked at the stats. He played 15 games of Cup last year and didn't run for 100 meters once. To put that into perspective, there was a game in NZ where the Couchman brothers ran for 250 meters each!
Yah but last year I assumed it was the sternum injury that was bheind his stats... he was given really low minutes.. like really low.. but his injury should be healed now.. so if he's still not capable of pushing out more than 10-14mins.. honestly he needs to go work on that in NSW Cup.. it would be a very slow process.. but better than being 18th man or doing super short stints in 1st grade here he wont get any fitter.

Note that if Lawrie and/or Frank etc gets concussed in the 1st minute.. or sent off etc.. Fifita will be expected to do a hell of a lot more.

Dragon David

First Grade
I thought that Flanno and his conditioners/trainers have got our guys to be stronger, fitter, have more endurance during the off season and that they have toned right up to have more muscle and less fat and collectively have lost a total of 100 kilograms.

What goes on then in the case of Fifita getting gassed after 10 minutes and how come in the lost games of Rounds 2 and 3 that we became pedestrian. What has happened to their fitness and playinf for the full 80 minutes. Have they just gone back to just basic training and not run up sand hills and 10 kilometre road runs whatever.

When the Cows came storming back after our no try to Mariner, where did the tenacity go. Where did the fight get tougher and tackles stronger. Why didn't Flanno get his run on trainer get stuck into the guys. For heavens sake. I'm nearly 80 (well 77 now) and I can remember playing comp sport when I was younger and I just would not give in under any circumstances. Surely the coach can drill this into the players heads.

Get them to toughen up and not become whimps, pleeeeaaassse!

Yah but last year I assumed it was the sternum injury that was bheind his stats... he was given really low minutes.. like really low.. but his injury should be healed now.. so if he's still not capable of pushing out more than 10-14mins.. honestly he needs to go work on that in NSW Cup.. it would be a very slow process.. but better than being 18th man or doing super short stints in 1st grade here he wont get any fitter.

Note that if Lawrie and/or Frank etc gets concussed in the 1st minute.. or sent off etc.. Fifita will be expected to do a hell of a lot more.
I think the idea is for him to play that Josh Kerr role, but he had 0 carries on the weekend. He was gassed after 5 minutes.

I share your concern about a middle being lost in the 1st minute. It happened to Frank in the Parra game last year. But Blocka saved the day, playing the whole first half. Michael Molo and Ryan Couchman also put in big shifts to make sure we held down the middle. I think JDB on the bench in our current lineup gives us insurance, because he would be able to push out a long stint if needed.

I definitely agree about 18th man. I think a player should never be 18th man 2 weeks in a row. I also think it should be reserved for the older top 30 veterans. The young players need to be playing in order to develop their game.

I thought that Flanno and his conditioners/trainers have got our guys to be stronger, fitter, have more endurance during the off season and that they have toned right up to have more muscle and less fat and collectively have lost a total of 100 kilograms.

What goes on then in the case of Fifita getting gassed after 10 minutes and how come in the lost games of Rounds 2 and 3 that we became pedestrian. What has happened to their fitness and playinf for the full 80 minutes. Have they just gone back to just basic training and not run up sand hills and 10 kilometre road runs whatever.

When the Cows came storming back after our no try to Mariner, where did the tenacity go. Where did the fight get tougher and tackles stronger. Why didn't Flanno get his run on trainer get stuck into the guys. For heavens sake. I'm nearly 80 (well 77 now) and I can remember playing comp sport when I was younger and I just would not give in under any circumstances. Surely the coach can drill this into the players heads.

Get them to toughen up and not become whimps, pleeeeaaassse!
Unfortunately losing fat and adding muscle doesn't guarantee cardiovascular fitness. If it did, body builders would be winning the olympic 1500m. I don't think it's just a pure lack of fitness, though. Last week I saw a lack of commitment to the "little things": kick chase, harrassing their kickers, line speed, etc. Lawrie and Lomax are two who always lead us in these effort areas. Getting Frank and Sua back should help us. Their aggression can be contagious.

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately losing fat and adding muscle doesn't guarantee cardiovascular fitness. If it did, body builders would be winning the olympic 1500m. I don't think it's just a pure lack of fitness, though. Last week I saw a lack of commitment to the "little things": kick chase, harrassing their kickers, line speed, etc. Lawrie and Lomax are two who always lead us in these effort areas. Getting Frank and Sua back should help us. Their aggression can be contagious.
Yes, true. Sorry for the lack of ???? in my post. I got carried away a bit writing my post and forgot them. Having poor stamina can lead to the lack of commitment because if exhausted they cannot commit. I don't know the science of it all but something like commitment if not there has to be instilled into all of the players, not just a couple.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As of now, the squad stands at 29. Still have 1 to sign before 5th August cut off.

Uncontracted players at the end of this season are: (According to the NRL official lists)
12 Players:
Tuitavake
BMM
Frank Molo
Michael Molo
JDB
Sua
Marschke
Matt Feagai
Max Feagai
Tamale
Eisenhuth
Sloan

With the departure of Lomax (who I didn't include in the list above), we will have a nice amount of $$$ to play with for next year. So, IMO, and of course you guys may differ in your opinions, we should re-sign the following: (in no particular order)
Tuitavake
Both Molo boys
JDB (on a greatly reduced amount)
Sua (probably #1 priority)
Marschke
Tamale
Eisenhuth (1yr)
Sloan

So, resigning 9

It wouldn't surprise me if we upgraded Egan to the top 30 just prior to the cut off, he's due to be upgraded next year in any case. we are also due to upgrade Hamish Stewart to the top 30 next year as well, AND, re-signing Corey Allen, so that would only give us 2 spots to fill for 2025 (including Lomax's departure)

Now comes the complex part:

We are 'supposedly' after:
Turuva - from Penrith
Petaia - from Rugy
NAS - from the Storm

Have I missed anyone? If not 3 into 2 won't go, unless of course we don't re-sign say, JDB or 1 or both Molo boys, or Tamale decides he wants to go back to the Nth Shore.

We are (technically) losing 3 backs and 1 forward.
Lomax - replaced by Allen?
Feagai x2 - replaced by Turuva and Petaia?
BMM - replaced by Stewart?

Thoughts?

shiloh dc

Juniors
As of now, the squad stands at 29. Still have 1 to sign before 5th August cut off.

Uncontracted players at the end of this season are: (According to the NRL official lists)
12 Players:
Tuitavake
BMM
Frank Molo
Michael Molo
JDB
Sua
Marschke
Matt Feagai
Max Feagai
Tamale
Eisenhuth
Sloan

With the departure of Lomax (who I didn't include in the list above), we will have a nice amount of $$$ to play with for next year. So, IMO, and of course you guys may differ in your opinions, we should re-sign the following: (in no particular order)
Tuitavake
Both Molo boys
JDB (on a greatly reduced amount)
Sua (probably #1 priority)
Marschke
Tamale
Eisenhuth (1yr)
Sloan

So, resigning 9

It wouldn't surprise me if we upgraded Egan to the top 30 just prior to the cut off, he's due to be upgraded next year in any case. we are also due to upgrade Hamish Stewart to the top 30 next year as well, AND, re-signing Corey Allen, so that would only give us 2 spots to fill for 2025 (including Lomax's departure)

Now comes the complex part:

We are 'supposedly' after:
Turuva - from Penrith
Petaia - from Rugy
NAS - from the Storm

Have I missed anyone? If not 3 into 2 won't go, unless of course we don't re-sign say, JDB or 1 or both Molo boys, or Tamale decides he wants to go back to the Nth Shore.

We are (technically) losing 3 backs and 1 forward.
Lomax - replaced by Allen?
Feagai x2 - replaced by Turuva and Petaia?
BMM - replaced by Stewart?

Thoughts?
JDB - on a greatly reduced amount - Why? - he is our best player.

TheRev

First Grade
There are a lot of players coming off contract in our roster.. and we have taken a long time to extend them.. which tells me that either a) we (Flanno) are not sure about their value... so play them while he tests the market for better options... or b) those players are testing the market also.. and not looking to re-sign.

From what I've seen of Flanno.. he is not interesting in paying overs.. meaning he will be offering probably 20% less than their current contracts.. esp JDB.. this is assuming he wants to keep these players in the first place.. but they wont be bending over themselves to take that extension.. they will try to play their value up.

TheRev

First Grade
Flanno is threading this needle.. i.e. can he actually find better options than guys like JDB.. we dont want to go into 2025 with a worse pack. Unlike the Molo's.. JDB I dont think anyone else would touch due to his past (fairly or unfairly it is what it is).. that isnt normally the case with middle forwards, they r in demand.. the other thing is whether Jack is a good influence off the field.. it could also be that Jack has an offer on the table of say 400k, or perhaps none at all..

The other thing.. he is freeing up slots for our 18yr old props.. so something has to give somewhere in the pipleline, probably Coric and MMolo if I was to guess... BMM maybe also.

The Word

Juniors
Great news this I think he is a great player but I think he would be best off the bench with his power and impact. That means we still need Top line starting prop to partner Lawrie.

In terms of our other forwards I'd be letting M Molo go, as well as BMM, re-signing Sua for 3 years and JDB on a 1 year contract, and just assess him again this time next year.

Not sure about Tuitavake, whether he's developed how they hoped he would. I guess we can watch him in Cup this year.

Whether Eisenhuth gets another year just depends on how our young forwards develop and if they can do well enough to take his spot from him next year.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
What's the go with Bird? Flanno has backed him. Is he getting re-signed? Or do we need a replacement for him too.

My understanding with an MO.......in most cases.............is the following

Bird can trigger the MO but he will have to accept a lower amount than his previous year contract.

My understanding (the 2025 amount) is already written down in the existing contract.

ie if Bird was on $500k pa for 2024, he will most likely have to accept a $400k pa in the Dragons favor unless negotiated differently

The MO protects the club and not the player.........but is a win win for club and player when they can agree on an extra year that the player accepts (albeit less $.... but its an extra year)

Last edited:
My understanding with an MO.......in most cases.............is the following

Bird can trigger the MO but he will have to accept a lower amount than his previous year contract.

My understanding (the 2025 amount) is already written down in the existing contract.

ie if Bird was on $500k pa for 2024, he will most likely have to accept a $400k pa in the Dragons favor unless negotiated differently

The MO protects the club and not the player.........but is a win win for club and player when they can agree on an extra year that the player accepts (albeit less $.... but its an extra year)
Both parties have to agree with extension

Price would be already determined

if club says I want you but not at the originally agreed sum the parties could negotiate