What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

docbrown

Coach
You really are an idiot, It is in our interest to know the truth of these things, it`s the only way to plan for the future, do you think the NRL headquarters want to be fed bullshit. You might be happy to live in a child`s dream world, I want the facts.
BTW you cannot be more than 100% accurate.
The NRL and AFL have access to the full 9, 7 & Foxtel numbers across all demographics. This is just purely a pissing competition for fans on forums and twitter.

DIOGENES

Juniors
AFL numbers have been invented this year.

Noting that this AFL game was played at 4 in the afternoon and only shown in QLD/Vic.

A second game was shown in SA/WA in the evening.
Do you mean ritchitigrub has invented what he is posting or the numbers are just not available?

The_Wookie

Bench
Do you mean ritchitigrub has invented what he is posting or the numbers are just not available?

My personal opinion - and really thats all it boils down to - ive repeatedly said over the years that Im not an expert on these things - Is that there is not enough data to arrive at the conclusions he is coming to at this early juncture, especially for the AFL where last years estimates are simply wrong. I assume hes using my data from last season - i gave it to him last year.

He is of course, free to do what he likes. Maybe he is comfortable with guessing off the very limited info we have. Im not and wont be until i have more information to run with,

Last edited:
especially for the AFL where last years estimates are simply wrong.
You said in an earlier post that f-ball numbers had been overestimated last year,I assume you are referring to the same thing in the above post, however if I recall correctly the ratio of streaming i.e. Kayo to STB for f-ball had been underestimated last year. Could you please clear this up for me Wookie.

Harry O

Juniors
It will be accepted by no one but the afl, the accepted method is eyeballs watching an event as it always has been , you know ratings,
which the afl have forced foxtel to stop publishing so they can no longer be embarrassed by the NRL

the NRL was pulling further & further away

& will remain Australias most watched sport

The_Wookie

Bench
You said in an earlier post that f-ball numbers had been overestimated last year,I assume you are referring to the same thing in the above post, however if I recall correctly the ratio of streaming i.e. Kayo to STB for f-ball had been underestimated last year. Could you please clear this up for me Wookie.

yes so for last year we had complete data for the AFL for every match for FTA and FoxSTB, but were estimating Kayo based on the PREVIOUS years estimates, because the previous years season estimate was within the margin of error for the AFL.

Towards the end of the season, we began to get actual streaming results from Oztam, and used that data and back tracked that through the season to arrive at an estimate that ended up being way over the AFLs released results..i mean not even close. Since the only unknown was the estimated data from the first 21 rounds of the season, it follows that the estimates used for that period were not even close to accurate.

To further muddy the waters, Oztam didnt unleash VOZ until Round 7 of the AFL season

Harry O

Juniors
Addddddddd Originnnnnnnnnnnn to the ratings and NZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Cumon you chickens, don't be afraid getting owned over and over againnnnnnnnnnn

Excerpt from another thought-provoking Twitter exchange re ratings -

NRL fan - "It's your post, what isn't entirely correct about the stats you have put up showing the NRL total TV average smashing the AFL total TV average?"

sportsindustry - "Averages aren't everything. In terms of average ratings though, the post is correct. The issue is that this doesn't reflect total audience properly...and now we have reach to try and address that"

This assuredly cannot be the same bloke who insists on L.U. that "The new reach standard sucks".

The sportsindustry Twitter page also notes a strong AFL fondness for Reach. As though discerning the tiniest tinge of vested interest. Fair to wonder whether an Adelaide-based Carlton fan might be similarly susceptible to unconscious bias.

NRL fan - "It's your post, what isn't entirely correct about the stats you have put up showing the NRL total TV average smashing the AFL total TV average?"

sportsindustry - "Averages aren't everything. In terms of average ratings though, the post is correct. The issue is that this doesn't reflect total audience properly...and now we have reach to try and address that"

This assuredly cannot be the same bloke who insists on L.U. that "The new reach standard sucks".

The sportsindustry Twitter page also notes a strong AFL fondness for Reach. As though discerning the tiniest tinge of vested interest. Fair to wonder whether an Adelaide-based Carlton fan might be similarly susceptible to unconscious bias.
What a tangled web we weave.......

Frank Burge

Juniors

That was I, appreciate the work he puts in but couldn’t scroll past that without commenting.

Wb1234

Referee

Sports industry with an afl bias ?

im shocked!

this is why it’s so good having a rugby league source now putting together the figures

he shows the afl getting smashed

The_Wookie

Bench
Sports industry with an afl bias ?

im shocked!

this is why it’s so good having a rugby league source now putting together the figures

he shows the afl getting smashed

its the same f**king data. With the exception being i wont invent an incorrect AFL narrative based on obsolete data.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench

I note that in terms of averages its correct,

I dont like the use of reach, neither do i believe that averages address the difference in match length. Hence the "try and address part".

Ive insisted that it sucks on Bigfooty as well, and copped considerable grief there for it.

The sportsindustry Twitter page also notes a strong AFL fondness for Reach.

It does not such thing.

As though discerning the tiniest tinge of vested interest. Fair to wonder whether an Adelaide-based Carlton fan might be similarly susceptible to unconscious bias.

Fair to wonder whether a forum full of league fans is going to think that someone who has never denied being an AFL fan is going to be susceptible to bias

The_Wookie

Bench
Fox BVOD Live Ratings
ChannelMatchAudienceMinutes ReachLength
Fox Sports 506LIVE: MOTORSPORT: F1: AUSTRALIA RACE312,00037,394,000537,000120
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: KNIGHTS V STORM285,00029,895,000483,000105
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: ESSENDON V ST KILDA270,00041,064,000547,000152
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: DRAGONS V SEA EAGLES269,00028,813,000457,000107
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: TITANS V DOLPHINS267,00029,869,000461,000112
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: BRONCOS V COWBOYS260,00028,070,000394,000108
FOX FOOTYLIVE: AFL: BRISBANE V COLLINGWOOD245,00040,394,000484,000165
Fox LeagueLIVE: NRL: RABBITOHS V BULLDOGS238,00027,871,000379,000117