What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 World Club Challenge

betcats

Referee
I mean im sure players and club are keen to win it and I was dissapointed when we lost last year but fir me that was minor compared to how I felt when we lost NRL games and did nothing to take off the enjoyment of winning the GF again.

betcats

Referee
Basically would it be nice to win? Sure. Would I take any kind of risk to try and win it? no way. Would I use it to check any position that might still be up for grabs like a trial? Yes definitely.

maple_69

Bench
In my opinion the club is basically just firming up its claims on the greatest of all time. Yes better than a Saints team playing in an unprofessional, un salary capped Sydney only comp. Bagging this trophy obviously isn't a huge feather in the cap, but it does remove a question mark or an argument against. Ordinarily I'd view it as a trial and hope the boys have a good time over there but this one I think would be good to solidify the legacy.

betcats

Referee
I think some people place more importance on it then others. Like for me no matter what the game is called its still the first game of the season we will play and it has no bearing on the NRL competition. I mean we dont even get to play it with the team that won the GF available, this year, like last year we have key pieces not available as they are not at the club anymore.

Its not a genuine "world club challenge", its two teams that won their comps months ago playing their first game of the year, often with significant lineup changes.

murraymob

Coach
I think some people place more importance on it then others. Like for me no matter what the game is called its still the first game of the season we will play and it has no bearing on the NRL competition. I mean we dont even get to play it with the team that won the GF available, this year, like last year we have key pieces not available as they are not at the club anymore.

Its not a genuine "world club challenge", its two teams that won their comps months ago playing their first game of the year, often with significant lineup changes.
The Americans play a world series in baseball with American teams .so we are world club champions if we win this up the panthers lol

MrBlack

Juniors
The game's importance is more than a trial but not as important as an NRL game.

At the end of the day its a really good pre-season hit out.

By Round One last year the world had forgotten all about the WCC.

No injuries in this years game please is my wish.

Whino

Bench
Meanwhile, premiership-winning hooker Mitch Kenny will be included in the Panthers’ travelling party and will play in the World Club Challenge against Wigan despite being handed a breach notice by the NRL for a social media post.
While the NRL didn’t immediately announce what sanction Kenny has been offered under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the 26-year-old has until Thursday to respond to the breach notice.

However, Kenny will get the green light to feature in the World Club Challenge, a huge boost for a Panthers side already missing Jarome Luai as he recovers from shoulder surgery.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I am capable of explaining. Injuries can, and do, happen during the regular season. Yes I do realise that competition points are at stake. My point is you can't wrap the players in cotton wool. Have I made myself clear now?
But surely you admit that an increase in games played increases that risk of injury? I'm not saying that we should keep players from playing or not to give this game the respect I feel is deserved, but it's not an invalid point as you so eloquently put it.