What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 World Club Challenge

Kilkenny

Coach
First and foremost IMO I thought it was a terrific contest overall and I have to give Wigan credit for a very gutsy performance in defence. They were terrific.

The slow down of the ruck and play the ball played into there hands but we had more than enough ball and field position to get the job done so despite the obvious error in awarding the try that decided the contest we should have come out on top.

Disappointing to lose, but I thought overall we played quite well even allowing for some clunky attack particularly close to there line.

maple_69

Bench
That has been a bug bear for mine for a while. Those bombs broke Waqa Blake and now they never come out.

Surely they are better then having Fish get tackled on the last
Or at least structure the set so we are firing a meaningful shot with a backline movement on the last that is more risky than usual in that a winger might be bundled into touch or someone might drop it. I totally get being content to hand the ball back and attack with defence, it’s what we’re good at, but just find it odd we don’t seem to even try and score a lot of the time.

Iamback

Coach
Or at least structure the set so we are firing a meaningful shot with a backline movement on the last that is more risky than usual in that a winger might be bundled into touch or someone might drop it. I totally get being content to hand the ball back and attack with defence, it’s what we’re good at, but just find it odd we don’t seem to even try and score a lot of the time.

That too, A winger or centre dropping it while spreading it is the same result.

I get we like to play safe but a few offloads wouldn't go astray.

Very similar to how the 1st half of the GF played out

Chins get the wins

First Grade
That too, A winger or centre dropping it while spreading it is the same result.

I get we like to play safe but a few offloads wouldn't go astray.

Very similar to how the 1st half of the GF played out
Nah the games were nothing alike. In the GF we were monstering a good side at their best and wasting the ball.

Here we were just kind of going through the motions

The Realist

Juniors
Didn't see the game and have seen very little commentary. I am most interested in Taylan May. Has he lost speed?

He was our quickest player pre-injury.

Copperhead

Juniors
Positives - Martin Yeo and Bald Dyl

Negatives - everything else

Didn't see the game and have seen very little commentary. I am most interested in Taylan May. Has he lost speed?

He was our quickest player pre-injury.
I think it's too early to tell. That playing surface was absolute shit. He looked good considering the long break. I'm more worried about Tago, who has carried that late 23 form into this year.

Bring back a full on WCC where all NRL and SL teams compete in a tournament together and you’ll get the same results like you did way back 1997, if you know your history 😉 Most English teams are pub standard. Only the top few are decent and can beat Aussie teams in February when they are trying to blow off pre season rust
I was thinking about this the other day! Whilst it wasn’t perfect by any stretch, the Super League World Club Challenge series back in ‘97 was a true contest in that all clubs from both sides featured. From memory, it was played during the actual AUS/UK Super League seasons so all clubs were match fit.

No surprises that the AUS clubs dominated and featured in the GF (Brisbane vs Hunter I think). It was a rather farcical set up though. Penrith won all of their round robin games yet didn’t qualify for the finals whilst some of the UK clubs, despite no wins, did!!

soc123_au

Staff member
I was thinking about this the other day! Whilst it wasn’t perfect by any stretch, the Super League World Club Challenge series back in ‘97 was a true contest in that all clubs from both sides featured. From memory, it was played during the actual AUS/UK Super League seasons so all clubs were match fit.

No surprises that the AUS clubs dominated and featured in the GF (Brisbane vs Hunter I think). It was a rather farcical set up though. Penrith won all of their round robin games yet didn’t qualify for the finals whilst some of the UK clubs, despite no wins, did!!
I went to all 3 games we played here, it was a bit of fun. I dont recall the formula for allocating ladder spots, just that it was a farce. The last game we had to beat Warrington by +50 odd to make the finals. We beat them convincingly, but not by enough. We started pretty slowly iirc and finished off strong.

Whino

Bench
I went to all 3 games we played here, it was a bit of fun. I dont recall the formula for allocating ladder spots, just that it was a farce. The last game we had to beat Warrington by +50 odd to make the finals. We beat them convincingly, but not by enough. We started pretty slowly iirc and finished off strong.

The Australian teams were put into two groups. 6 teams in Pool A and 4 in Pool B. The pools were decided by SL ladder rankings heading into the WCC.
The top 3 from Pool A went through. Only the top team from Pool B went through. Teams were ranked by F/A.
We were in Group A. Us the Broncos, Warriors, and Sharks finished with 6 wins. Raiders further back with 5-1. Our close wins against Bradford R1 and St Helens R2 cost us.

The Mariners topped Group B with 6 wins also. They made it to the final. In what would be their last game.

The pommy teams were grouped the same way.
The best English team was Wigan winning 2 out of 6 games. Bradford Bulls qualified despite losing all 6 games!

I get the finals were in England, and the locals would what teams to follow, hence the separate groupings. But letting Bradford Bulls play finals when they didn't even win a game made it a farce.

soc123_au

Staff member
The Australian teams were put into two groups. 6 teams in Pool A and 4 in Pool B. The pools were decided by SL ladder rankings heading into the WCC.
The top 3 from Pool A went through. Only the top team from Pool B went through. Teams were ranked by F/A.
We were in Group A. Us the Broncos, Warriors, and Sharks finished with 6 wins. Raiders further back with 5-1. Our close wins against Bradford R1 and St Helens R2 cost us.

The Mariners topped Group B with 6 wins also. They made it to the final. In what would be their last game.

The pommy teams were grouped the same way.
The best English team was Wigan winning 2 out of 6 games. Bradford Bulls qualified despite losing all 6 games!

I get the finals were in England, and the locals would what teams to follow, hence the separate groupings. But letting Bradford Bulls play finals when they didn't even win a game made it a farce.
I remember London Broncos winning a game. Cant remember who it was against though. If forums were a thing back then the fans of whoever it was would have been in for a fun time.

Whino

Bench
I remember London Broncos winning a game. Cant remember who it was against though. If forums were a thing back then the fans of whoever it was would have been in for a fun time.

They beat Canberra. Canberra came out of the blocks with a few big wins then unexpectedly lost.
I still have the Big League mags from 97 ;)

hindy111

Post Whore
Fancy following a team who haven't won a premiership since the late 80s and then comment about other teams representing the NRL ffs, howbout stop choking then win something/someone fu-kn somewhere somehow then start throwing barbs, instead of the vast amount of spoons

One of the blokes on Eels forum (He's a Peanut ) was crowing. Even was giving the Panthers side advice on how to win. I'm with you. If your only pleasure can be from another side losing cause yours can't win it's lame.