What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ozbash

Referee
shows what a bit of marketing will do.

The radios have been going on about the v Titans game all week and the Butcher was serving up special deals for family passes etc .
The game last night had to compete with the Air NZ Cup game, Aucks v Waikato as well as the Bob Dylan gig . Well done Wayne Scurrah.

20600 is what will be needed when the Manly team comes to town next home game.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Mr Ground Announcer (I forget his name) wandered down to the South Stand before the match and asked "how many of you got your tickets from the Mad Butcher?"

About 95% of the stand cheered.

It was bloody great to have a BIG crowd there, makes it feel like the "good old days" again.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Before the game i saw the ends of the west stand filling up and guessed conservatively about 18k, but i had the 20k figure in the back of my mind.

Remarkable, i saw Auckland/Waikato highlights on Sky and it looked as though the crowd at Mt Smart was much larger than the crowd at Eden Puke.

EJS

Juniors
I was busy in the week trying to get two tickets in the East Stand from the M Butcher (usually there by myself, but took my 9 year old last night) , and the woman said there were no two seats together - so I ended up in the West Stand for the first time in years, and looked across to heaps of empty sets in the East Stand ... now what with that ?

Skinner

Coach
EJS said:
I was busy in the week trying to get two tickets in the East Stand from the M Butcher (usually there by myself, but took my 9 year old last night) , and the woman said there were no two seats together - so I ended up in the West Stand for the first time in years, and looked across to heaps of empty sets in the East Stand ... now what with that ?

There would have been a certain allocation for the Butch's promotional seats. If you had
bought at the gate, you could have got seats in the Eastern, but at the normal (high) price.

Lossy

Juniors
The 20600 wasn't just direct marketing. It helps that the media were reporting the Roosters game as one of the best games of recent times. That form of influence can help more than just saying, " come and watch us".

Was good to be at a game with that many people. First time I had to queue for ages.

LeagueNut

First Grade
What's the official ground capacity now after the fancy east stand went up?

(I think 24k from memory, but could be bigger)

Lossy

Juniors
Actually, the best thing about yesterday's turnout is that 2 hours earlier the Auckland vs. Waikato rugby game was on, which drew 13,559. The next Warriors home game is on a Sunday and an Auckland vs. Taranaki match at Eden Park is on a Friday. No clash of times this time and against Manly at home, so more than 20600 should be nay bother. Yes, cheapies will still be needed.

Lossy

Juniors
LeagueNut said:
What's the official ground capacity now after the fancy east stand went up?

(I think 24k from memory, but could be bigger)

On the Mt Smart site it says:

"Consists of a dedicated football stadium with close proximity viewing for a capacity crowd of 25,000..."

Wouldn't the parking be diabolical? Or, at least, more diabolical than present.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Dr Crane said:
Remarkable, i saw Auckland/Waikato highlights on Sky and it looked as though the crowd at Mt Smart was much larger than the crowd at Eden Puke.

Much better stadium, better parking, and better football... you'd damn well hope it was!!!

LeagueNut

First Grade
Polar Bob said:
Wouldn't the parking be diabolical? Or, at least, more diabolical than present.
I was pleasantly surprised last night that there weren't huge delays with getting on the road. All depends on where you park obviously. (FTR, I'm around the McDonalds)

Iafeta

Referee
Great crowd, well done guys. We'll be down at Canberra this coming weekend to hopefully see the boys through. If we get a home semi, I'm tempted to go and take some money out of the loan savings and get across for it.... Don't like my chances of swinging the Mrs though.

Hopefully a sell out against Manly, that is going to be an awesome game.

Rich102

Staff member
Doesn't the way the team are playing have something to do with the crowd? Not just the marketing?
People will follow a winning team.

MKEB...

Staff member
Good football markets itself, and the warriors are playing great football

Rovelli

Bench
20609?

Don't forget nine others ;)

--

Great crowd, hopefully we get as big a crowd for the Manly game. Should be an absolute ripper the way both teams are travelling atm