What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24000 Crowd, Well Done Melbourne

big_matt

Juniors
And?

Aren't we forever hearing about how Melbourne is the sporting capital of Aus? Or that it will 'rally behind the storm'

Yeah 24k is absolute shyte after 12 years and millions of dollars invested. Its actually pathetic and an embarrassment to this proud game. If a Syd/Bris team got done for what the storm did and sent out the call to arms, you would see 60k +, espescially on ANZAC day... Actually, we've seen hundreds of thousands marching for Souths, so do us all a favour and f*ck off.

And any other club supporter actually applauding anything to do with Melbourne should be bloody ashamed. Feel sorry for their fans? Just look at the sh*t threads started by them tonight

Your argument is laughable in so many ways its difficult to respond. Your team can't sell out a 20k-odd stadium yet you laugh at the storm (a relatively new team in another sports heartland) getting 24k when their supporters have just had the heart ripped out of them! Expecting the same crowds as brisbane (a RL state as opposed to an AFL state) is quite ridiculous!

And as for storm fans, its a small minority who are posting silly threads on here tonight. The vast majority seem to be upset and understanding of the anger toward them.

You're clearly just one of the endless dragons fans on here who still haven't got over 99.

Just to recap for you - we won that game and you didn't. And your pathetic, ill-informed, laughable comparison of the storm to a 90k afl crowd at the mcg wont change that fact.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I would expect Brisbane like figures after 12 years and 3* Prems, so 40+k yes

Your point?

Actually from all the media reports i expected Victorians to turn up en masse.. i guess i was taken for a ride

Yeah 15k would be a start considering it costs 6mill per year + 5 wasted seasons. But hey, poor Melbourne right?

I dont think this even needs addressing, plenty of threads on why Sydney averages less than Brisbane etc.

My main point is basically 24k is nothing to be proud of for a one town team, on ANZAC day, and basically i expected better tbh. If they packed out the ground tonight i would've sat up and thought yes we need Melbourne, and Melbourne need the Storm...but it wasn't to be.

So you would expect Brisbane like figures for the Storm even though up in Brisbane the Broncos have what other sports to compete with?

Queensland has had rugby league up and running for decades in that state dont be so naive...

My point is the Swans are just like the Storm a Sporting team thrown into a town with no support structure...

I wasnt talking about the Sydney crowd averages i was talking about ANZAC day game Just like you are talking about the Storm Crowd for ANZAC day...

Dragon

Coach
Your argument is laughable in so many ways its difficult to respond. Your team can't sell out a 20k-odd stadium yet you laugh at the storm (a relatively new team in another sports heartland) getting 24k when their supporters have just had the heart ripped out of them!

And as for storm fans, its a small minority who are posting silly threads on here tonight. The vast majority seem to be upset and understanding of the anger toward them.

You're clearly just one of the endless dragons fans on here who still haven't got over 99.

Just to recap for you - we won that game and you didn't. And your pathetic, ill-informed, laughable comparison of the storm to a 90k afl crowd at the mcg wont change that fact.

Could care less about '99 champ. Its the conduct of your club for the last decade which sickens me. Cheating on and off the field you are a disgrace and would not know anything about rugby league culture.

Born and bred from one of the best junior RL nurseries in the land, and have to put up with ignorant dickheads like you who think they know whats best for the game. Well im telling you whats best is if we get the hell out of Melbourne and invest somewhere else. Its abhorrent and i cant believe people still think there's a future for the game in Victoria. I also cant believe people would actually defend the conduct of the Storm, trying desperately to look for positives. Its just a joke and you have shamed the game more than you will ever realise. Recent threads posted by Storm fans reek of arrogance and fly in the face of fair play that Australians pride themselves on. I have utter contempt for your club and always will, and im not going to shy away from it because a few agenda-driven people in the media have brainwashed some Sydney fans into thinking otherwise.

Last edited:

Y2Eel

First Grade
My Final point.. If the NRL was just played in NSW and QLD the TV rights would be less and with less money there would be less for the clubs and less to pay the top line players which would force them to jump ship to union where all the money seems to be at the moment...

Y2Eel

First Grade
Could care less about '99 champ. Its the conduct of your club for the last decade which sickens me. Cheating on and off the field you are a disgrace and would not know anything about rugby league culture.

Born and bred from one of the best junior RL nurseries in the land, and have to put up with ignorant dickheads like you who think they know whats best for the game. Well im telling you whats best is if we get the hell out of Melbourne and invest somewhere else. Its abhorrent and i cant believe people still think there's a future for the game in Victoria. I also cant believe people would actually defend the conduct of the Storm, trying desperately to look for positives. Its just a joke and you have shamed the game more than you will ever realise.

Major Hypocrite.........

Thought this would go go with your post... :lol: hope you like

Jeez-not_agaian.jpg

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
My main point is basically 24k is nothing to be proud of for a one town team, on ANZAC day, and basically i expected better tbh. If they packed out the ground tonight i would've sat up and thought yes we need Melbourne, and Melbourne need the Storm...but it wasn't to be.

So, 24K is bad for a one team town, but 36K is ok for a game between 2 teams in the same city?

Evolution

Juniors
Poeple will never be happy.

For a team that usually gets around 13000, 24000 is a great crowd but people are still crying that it should have reached 50000.

Or if you want to go down the road to stupidity complaining that on a day that Melbourne gets 90 000 to and AFL game and 24 000 to a NRL one that Melbourne people do not support sport.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Born and bred from one of the best junior RL nurseries in the land, and have to put up with ignorant dickheads like you who think they know whats best for the game. Well im telling you whats best is if we get the hell out of Melbourne and invest somewhere else..

I was born and bred in one of the biggest RL nurseries too mate, even played in it aswell. Even had coaching training in it.

For someone so high and mighty on RL development, let me tell you that Melbourne has more junior RL players then West Sydney has AFL junior players.

No future in Melbourne? Please, RL didnt exactly become the most popular sport in Sydney overnight. Hell, Parramatta was a Union dominated area up until the mid 30's I believe.

big_matt

Juniors

Born and bred from one of the best junior RL nurseries in the land, and have to put up with ignorant dickheads like you who think they know whats best for the game. Well im telling you whats best is if we get the hell out of Melbourne and invest somewhere else. Its abhorrent and i cant believe people still think there's a future for the game in Victoria. I also cant believe people would actually defend the conduct of the Storm, trying desperately to look for positives. Its just a joke and you have shamed the game more than you will ever realise. Recent threads posted by Storm fans reek of arrogance and fly in the face of fair play that Australians pride themselves on. I have utter contempt for your club and always will, and im not going to shy away from it because a few agenda-driven people in the media have brainwashed some Sydney fans into thinking otherwise.

When did I defend the conduct of the storm? If you can point that out (instead of just calling me a f$ckwit, d1ckhead etc etc) I'd appreciate it. I'm sickened by the administration of our club and what they have done. But this thread isn't about that is it? The title of the thread gives away the fact its about the 24,000 crowd which, whatever way you want to spin it, is impressive. In fact for a team that only been around for 12 years its amazing.

btw congratulations from being from "one of the best rugby league nurseries". Does that make you special, or make your opinion more important than anyone else's? Or do you just want a prize for being born there?

Everyone's point still stands. Dragons fans (no matter how much they still cry about 99) can't laugh at a club for getting 24k against an out of country side when they can't get that themselves against a local sydney team after decades and decades of existance in what you call an RL obsessed area.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
*cough* 90k at AFL pies v bombers

Just thought id put it in perspective to those who think Melbourne actually gives a sh*t about the storm, or RL in general.
So 113,979 people watched football in Melbourne yesterday and over 20% of them chose Rugby League over or in addition to AFL? In any other week I'd call that a massive result for our game.

Leigh.

Brutus

Referee
If they are so successful why do they have no live free to air coverage, no print media support and no local radio support?
FF

Ask David Gallop that. He'll be able to tell you.

The Swans would be suffering the same fate in Sydney if it wasn't for the pro-active management of the AFL to spread the gospel beyond traditional boundaries.

Get an idea.

Brutus

Referee
Ill take box 1....

Well explain to me why your Dragons game wasnt a sell out? Then you should be able to have a dig at the Storm.....

Maybe that 'Dragon' idiot can also explain why the Dragons v Bulldogs game a piddly old WIN Stadium couldn't sell-out earlier in the year as well .:lol:

Todays crowd figure goes a long way to show the amount of incredibly good work the Melborne Storm RLFC has done down in Victoria.

That the Storm had so many young up starts playing in their team tonight plus the early injury to Aiden Tolman against a Warriors team with everything to play for... well this assists the argument that the hard work behind the scenes that promote player development and quality attitude is the key ingredient to winning premierships.

Yeah the recent uncovered facts show that over the last five seasons the Storm overpent the cap by 1.7 million (that's a rough average of $340K per season), I personally don't think this is the main reason for their success, I truly don't. This team is full of great players yeas, but most of these players were internally developed by the Club which has been seriously let down by a certain CEO and his cronies, most of these cronies aren't even at the club any longer, yet these players and the current people involved in the club are left to carried the burden and the stain that the cronies have left behind.

Well done Storm fans, stay loyal. I'm a Manly Warringah Sea Eagles supporter who has felt a strong recent rivalry with your club for the past 4 or so seasons. These the particular seasons under review. I began to feel a heated hatred for your club because of our rivalry, but after tonight I have a new found respect for you as supporters. You showed me you are not merely "Johnny come lately's" that most of us NSW people think you are. I have a new respect for the majority of good people who administer your club, the true supporters and current and past players within your club.

I now understand that your club in reality represents high quality people, high quality attitude and excellent performance but unfortunately the Storm name has been unfairly tarnished by some terribly rotten eggs. These bad eggs aren't true Storm people, I can now see that. Hell, the main dude behind this mess is an AFL interloper who showed by moving on to The Super 14 Rebels that he NEVER truly had Rugby Leagues best interests at heart anyway. Then asked for a quote, instead of taking responsibility, Waldron spins out the line "everyone's doing it", just bagging the whole league in an under handed dog act manner that has left the mess our game is in today. Brian Waldron doesn't care and he never cared for our game, his actions prove it, and you people of the Storm are paying for it and as a result of the punishments dished out the whole game is also bleeding badly.

Incredible crowd result tonight and on a Sunday afternoon in the heart of Melbourne on ANZAC day while other big AFL games took place during the the day. When I look at the big picture, yeah there is punishment, yeah there is deserved punishment, however this particular punishment dished out by the NRL goes a long way to damaging Rugby League as a whole, damaging the credibility of season 2010 and damaging the future of Rugby League in a necessary pioneering outpost.

Tonight once again proved the Storm Rugby League Club during an era soden with negative League headlines and scandals, while trying to grow in severely hostile territory, in a market that apparently would never love them, without live to air free to air TV coverage, without print media support, without local radio support and without a significant junior base, have indeed done some incredible work over the past 12 years.

Three Cheers from me.

:clap:

If they are so successful why do they have no live free to air coverage, no print media support and no local radio support? The only success they have has been on the field and they have done that by cheating and destroying the credibility of 5% of rugby leagues history.

This useless club has something like a 6 million dollar short fall that News has to make up because the Vics are so disinterested they can't break even with a population of in excess of 5 million people?

Crikey, if Melbourne is a success, what qualifies as a failure?

FF

You are a dead set idiot...you have posted dribble from day one and have now attempted to be factual which is a joke as well.

Local radio support is alive and kicking - you can listen to any station and they are all giving their position on Storm along with one station holding a regular Storm session each week.

Print media - papers preview each game that Storm play.

Fans - loyal to the core and crowd attendances are up in comparison to some other clubs.

*cough* 90k at AFL pies v bombers

Just thought id put it in perspective to those who think Melbourne actually gives a sh*t about the storm, or RL in general.

Moron alert!

The Anzac Day AFL clash is the second biggest AFL game of their year.

And?

Aren't we forever hearing about how Melbourne is the sporting capital of Aus? Or that it will 'rally behind the storm'

Yeah 24k is absolute shyte after 12 years and millions of dollars invested. Its actually pathetic and an embarrassment to this proud game. If a Syd/Bris team got done for what the storm did and sent out the call to arms, you would see 60k +, espescially on ANZAC day... Actually, we've seen hundreds of thousands marching for Souths, so do us all a favour and f*ck off.

And any other club supporter actually applauding anything to do with Melbourne should be bloody ashamed. Feel sorry for their fans? Just look at the sh*t threads started by them tonight

Moron alert number 2!

Is this forum a breeding ground for idiots?

Yep you said it, a ONE TEAM TOWN. So they should avg something like Brisbane with all the success* they've had. Watch them drop like flies by the end of the year. I know its hard to admit but Melbourne is an utter waste of time for league.

Reading comments like these, I feel somewhat ashamed to be a rugby league supporter. But then I realize I shouldn't feel ashamed by such flagrantly ignorant comments from such idiots.

I lived in Melbourne for 8 months and if you think that Melbourne is an 'utter waste of time for league' then is just shows how of the loop you are on things. Melbourne needs a team. Fullstop. End of story. The Storm/NRL have promoted the game down to the point where it has gone from a game no one had ever heard of (yes I know Melbournians who didn't even know the sport existed until they were teenagers) to drawing crowds of over 30,000. Rugby League is slowly building steam down there. The Storm junior teams are largely made up of locals. Rugby League in Melbourne has more juniors than AFL has in western Sydney.

But you want to give up on all that.

Makes me think you are not a true rugby league supporter at all.

StormChaser

First Grade
It was amazing to be a part of it and I'll spend every cent I have making sure I'm at all their games this year (except maybe NZ cos I ain't that flush with cash)