What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: NZ v Pak at Napier on Jan 28, 2016 - MATCH ABANDONED

TheParraboy

Staff member
Should be able to catch a bit of this as have the day off work :cool:

Interesting how much NZ and Aust care about the T20 world cup, with 3 ODIs and 2 tests in February prior to the t20 world cup in India starting on March 8

ANTiLAG

First Grade
NZ care less than Australia.

NZ is playing no more T20 matches before the tournament starts.

Australia is touring Safrica for a three t20 tour before the WCT20.

For some reason the Future Tours Programme has Windies touring NZ for 3 T20s after Australia tour, but I have not heard anything about that. I am sure it is not happening.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Well, compared to Team India (and probably most other nations) who are only playing T20s from now on, Aust and NZ have 3 ODIs and 2 tests to negotiate first. Not really an ideal build up to a t20 world cup

In any case, looking forward to this match, suspect NZ would be too strong

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Nice try. Our TAB disagrees.

Has Australia $1.55 to take the series.

Shortest paying 2-1 Australia for the series.

No Boult swinging it, and no Ross Taylor, I cannot see NZ as favourites in the least.

We'll get to see where Matt Henry really is playing your lot. Currently ranked 7th in ODI cricket, but he would not make the NZ team if no injuries. It is debatable whether he is the 4th or 5th choice one day seamer.

Be nice for Guptill to make some runs, too.

Niccolls does not excite me so far as to his potential. So far he has been rather dour and I've only seen him play secondary roles. It is time for him to step up and be counted.

TheParraboy

Staff member
still raining, umpires circling the covers with umbrellas overhead, field looks damp

Doesn't look like play commencing anytime soon, will be a very shortened game or no game

African Monkey

First Grade
Nicholls looking pretty ordinary.

Hope Ross recovers earlier for Straya matches

Don't mind him personally. Definitely worth perservering with as McCullum is on the outer and Elliott isn't going to be around forever. Shafting him for the sake of it (like most NZ selectors of the past would do) is not necessary.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lot of batting come through domestically.

Munro excluded;
Ben Smith, Will Young, Tom Bruce, and Macewell still has not been given a go.

I thought the same about Elliot, but he is aiming for next world cup. 39.

Nicholls is learning and playing due to injuries, it is not shafting.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
Haha, touche.

I thought NZ's fightback with the ball was very impressive. Santner though remains a concern with the ball. Australia may destroy him.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Haha, touche.

I thought NZ's fightback with the ball was very impressive. Santner though remains a concern with the ball. Australia may destroy him.

Absolutely agree with this.

But I think persist with him. He has earned the right for Australia, WC T20 and maybe even India tour to make or break him in the pyjamas. He had a good T20 game against Pakistan where he put the breaks on. And at the moment with Corey and Grunter, there are options for the captain.

Santner's fielding is exceptional, and he has met #8 batting expectations so far.

I just do not want to see him bat higher than 8, like some are suggesting when Southee becomes fit, to play Boult, Southee, Milne, and Henry/McClenaghan.

For mine, he is a better long term option right now than say Devicich or Worker trying to be frontline bowlers and batting at 8.

My biggest concerns for Australian ODI series are obvious:

Boult's lack of swing - worsened by the fact that Anderson and Grunter have found some shape when looking for it. We have depth to handle Southee and McClenaghan as long as noone else goes down - because we are at injury limit before DBracewell returns, but Boult not being a weapon is a major concern when Smith, Warner, Bailey and Maxwell come to town.

No Taylor - Nicholls looks out of his depth so far (he did in BBL as well).

BMac - I worry how much time he has put in the nets. A few people today, myself included, were not surpsied to see him get a first baller.

Ronchi - still looks completely out of sorts.

Munro - should have been given a crack in one of the games. Rain probably interfered with that.

I think Australia will make or break Matt Henry.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
Was at the game yesterday.

Has to be looked at as a very bittersweet performance.

Our hunger and attitude is really pushing us over the edge and we're winning the 50/50 moments, but a side of genuine class would have been all over us.

Pakistan imploded when they should have easily reached 330+, Anderson got that famous let off, every batsman tried to be a hero instead of just tapping the ones and winning it easily.

Bmac is Bmac
Guptill still hasn't figured out how to accumulate 1s and 2s, and relies on blasting sixes and fours to make up for 10 dot balls. MOTM was a bit of a joke.
Williamson, along with Hafeez and Babar, were easily the best batsmen on show.

Our middle order is a massive hole.
Elliott needs time to kick on, he's a horrible starter.
I don't rate Anderson in any aspect of the game.
Ronchi is playing out the law of averages, and has no B game similar to Guptill.
Santner has a lot of potential but still in the making.

Henry looks our most impressive bowler right now.
Milne and more worryingly Boult are chucking pies everywhere and cashing in on tail-end slog dismissals.

We're good, but we're very far from great.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Was at the game yesterday.

Has to be looked at as a very bittersweet performance.

Our hunger and attitude is really pushing us over the edge and we're winning the 50/50 moments, but a side of genuine class would have been all over us.

Pakistan imploded when they should have easily reached 330+, Anderson got that famous let off, every batsman tried to be a hero instead of just tapping the ones and winning it easily.

Bmac is Bmac
Guptill still hasn't figured out how to accumulate 1s and 2s, and relies on blasting sixes and fours to make up for 10 dot balls. MOTM was a bit of a joke.
Williamson, along with Hafeez and Babar, were easily the best batsmen on show.

Our middle order is a massive hole.
Elliott needs time to kick on, he's a horrible starter.
I don't rate Anderson in any aspect of the game.
Ronchi is playing out the law of averages, and has no B game similar to Guptill.
Santner has a lot of potential but still in the making.

Henry looks our most impressive bowler right now.
Milne and more worryingly Boult are chucking pies everywhere and cashing in on tail-end slog dismissals.

We're good, but we're very far from great.

I agree with your assessment but I think your player critiques are possibly unduly harsh.

I rate Anderson very highly. Yesterday he was good with the ball and his boundary hitting dropped that run rate down from something difficult to NZ's game quite easily. He should have bolwed more after the 22nd over, his second, that he bowled went for 5. But Hafeez's wicket in the 23rd had BMac seeing dollar signs so he brought in Milne. And apparently forgot about Anderson until the 40 something over.

Taylor's replacement in Nicholls is of far greater concern to me than Anderson's ability.

Elliot can be a slow starter, but he has shots at a high SR once started.

BMac is a worry. Hopefully he spends today and tomorrow in the nets, instead of attending horse shows. To be honest, Id rather Munro had played instead of him. But we're only 3 ODI games from BMac's retirement.

Santner will well possibly get smashed with the ball, but he has potential, there is noone else for his role and is doing #8 batting and fielding as good as can be expected.

Milne is going alright for me.

Henry will either be the goods or found out against Australia. Agree with your Boult assessment on wicket taking, but his economy has been alright.

Ronchi is laughably out of form.

Last edited: