What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Hobart on Nov 12-16, 2016

1. Warner
2. Bancroft
3. Khawaja (better perform or SMarsh has his spot when fit)
4. Smith
5. Patteron
6. Lehmann
7. Nevill
8 Starc
9. Hazelwood
10. Sayers
11. Lyon

I posted about just bringing in the young blokes after the Perth debacle, if we are shit, may as well be shit with the young blokes getting a go before they're old blokes likes recent years getting in. Let them build.

TIGER14

Bench
1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. Smith
4. Patterson
5. Ferguson (one more chance, can't drop the bloke after 1 Test)
6. Stoinis
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Hazlewood
10. Bird
11. Lyon

12. Lehmann

If Ferguson fails again Lehmann comes in for the Pakistan series. It'd be good to have Cummins by then too.

JJ

Immortal
Meanwhile, having qualified with 20+ Tests, the Don will finish his career with the 2nd highest batting average of all-time.

Step aside Graeme Pollock, the Don clearly has your measure :D

Yeah, that's an abomination - shows you how these Australian wickets have created a fraudulent bunch of averages - not just his, but he's the most obvious - no way is Warner a 49 average opening bat, 58 is too high for Smith TBH, Khawaja, and even the Marsh brothers at 40 and 24 are ridiculously high

f**k, Ross Taylor scored the highest test score by a touring batsmen last year, hasn't been able to buy a run since

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah, that's an abomination - shows you how these Australian wickets have created a fraudulent bunch of averages - not just his, but he's the most obvious - no way is Warner a 49 average opening bat, 58 is too high for Smith TBH, Khawaja, and even the Marsh brothers at 40 and 24 are ridiculously high

f**k, Ross Taylor scored the highest test score by a touring batsmen last year, hasn't been able to buy a run since

I remember him scoring runs in nz mate

Its not the wickets but the shit opposition. take NZ and Windies out of it and he averages 20

JJ

Immortal
Taylor? Not recently... not anywhere

Oh you mean the Donald - yeah, but flat decks after a morning here too, and some helpful umpiring luck

It's the wickets - at least with respect to us, the only sporting one was Adelaide and a couple of ours on the first mornings...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Taylor? Not recently... not anywhere

Oh you mean the Donald - yeah, but flat decks after a morning here too, and some helpful umpiring luck

It's the wickets - at least with respect to us, the only sporting one was Adelaide and a couple of ours on the first mornings...

The ole magical nz wickets that screwed nz over with magic.

TheFrog

Coach
only Smith has been an unqualified success
Voges was an unqualified success a few months ago but has followed his Bradmanesque first 10 Test matches with a few that more resembled Glenn McGrath (except McGrath could bowl). I do think he'll be persisted with though. He's still second only to Bradman in batting average for batsmen with 20 or more Test innings.

JJ

Immortal
The ole magical nz wickets that screwed nz over with magic.

No, but they weren't traditional like the Hobart one - and I've said elsewhere you thoroughly outplayed us - I think that's equal parts us choking and you lifting when you knew there was a challenge - I think for us at cricket those soft bastards don't really believe they can beat Australia in tests (as they grew up watching your great teams) and your lot firmly believe that if they nullify WIlliamson (who they really went to work on here) they can't lose

For all the shit in your top order ours is about as bad... combined you're probably looking at
Latham, Warner, Williamson, Smith, Taylor, Neesham and Watling - despite what you saw Neesham has actually played well in tests, but sad that he's better than your #6 - and aside from the 3 and 4 there's not a lot of quality there - Latham is solid, Warner a f**kwit, Taylor like Warner overrated, Neesham talented and not Mitch Marsh, and Watling tough and not Nevill

undertaker

Coach
Another piece of trivia:

Last time Australia were clean-sweeped in a home test series (min. 2 tests) was in 1887 vs England (lost 2-0). There is a possibility of this happening if the Adelaide pitch resembles anything like last year's pitch with even just a small tinge of green on it.

Also, Australia has never lost 3-0 in a home 3-test series.

undertaker

Coach
Anyway, you might be being unfair on Trimble, he choked big time, but in reality was he worse than MMarsh or Mennie?

ROFL! Are you kidding me?

You watch those Trimble deliveries again. Absolute tripe he dished up. Yes, MMarsh and Mennie are plodders and won't be sending any fear to the batsmen, but at least they weren't horribly bad to the point where fieldsmen were embarrassed to take catches off their bowling, like Trimble. After all, there is a reason Trimble only played 2 ODIs (his 2nd and final ODI was when Australia were bowled out for 70 at Adelaide).

I can only imagine the spray Border must've given him in the dressing room after that WACA ODI.

I'd have Wade over Siddle. Bats better and bowls quicker.

Wade wasn't that bad of a bowler, and could've made something of it if he spent more time and training on it. He's too short to be a wicketkeeper though.

A lot of the old ways of earning a crust as a professional cricketer is dead. the english cricket board tightened the rules up on overseas players in county cricket up an absurd amount like 5 years ago.

I think it would benefit any australian who can to play county cricket sure but its not as easy as it used to be. guys who can qualify for English passports like steve smith should maybe consider a year in county over ipl but for Joe Blogs the regular australian guy its not like the old days with county cricket.,

I remember the influx of Aussies playing in county cricket back in the '90s.

When were the rules changed as to the quota on overseas players?

undertaker

Coach
To be fair, if you were to sack the entire Singapore Basketball side every time they didn't win a tournament, you'd be going through players at a ridiculous rate... Harlem Globetrotters they ain't!!!

Correction, my mistake. It was the Singapore national soccer team that was disbanded around 2010 and revamped with a completely new squad a few months later with a after they failed to make some Asian soccer finals.

Kim Jong-Un wouldn't put up with this rot from a national side.

Kim Jong-Un would have all of them incarcerated in some hard labor camp if he was the coach/manager.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Lehmann shouldn't be picked for 2 reasons.

Firstly his father is the coach and a selector. Back in my under 12 days the coach's step son took out the coach's award 2 years straight despite batting like Chris Martin and bowling like John Howard. He was also a worse keeper than mathew Wade but was plonked in the keeper spot because otherwise he cried and his step-dad wouldn't get any if he put him at fine leg where he belonged. Thankfully we had the best bowler in the comp and a decent batting team.

Long story short they won't pick lehmann unless his figures are so outstanding that they will allow a bit of nepotism. Otherwise your just going to cause issues in the dressing room.

Which brings me to reason 2.

Lehmann isn't outstanding. Either show that you are a class above everyone else in shield cricket in your first couple of seasons or consistently score runs over a long period. Lehmann has done neither.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well,that was way more embarrassing than the first innings. The pitch was pretty flat, realistically.

The worry is there isn't much coming through. Voges has to go, Ferguson is as good as most of the other options so deserves another chance on his home wicket to show what he is capable of. Mennie had a chance to prove he's a long form bowler and absolutely bottled it. Burns is better than what he showed, and we're light on openers...

Problem is who do you bring in,I suppose. Maddinson is in form but he's absolutely not a stoic bat. Patterson isn't ready by any means. Neither are Bancroft, Handscombe, Head et al.

Bowling is easy at least, Bird for Mennie.

Big problems.