What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

newman

First Grade
I just hope England dont fold. The last couple of times theyve been in the final, they have been far too impressed with their ability to make it there and get shown up. I want the Aussies to win, but I want them to have to work for it.

Valheru

Coach
I think Australia will win

I just hope England don’t flop and give us a competitive final.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Suprised we are playing England, but well done Spuddy, you did tip that.

That said, Australia to pull away at the end of each half. The poms will give their all, the Aussies will take it, and class will prevail.

adamkungl

Immortal
Imagine living in a world where England had beaten us in a RL final....it would be life changing :lol: I suspect the sky would turn yellow, hover cars would be the norm, Dragons fans wouldn't be arrogant merkins, and women would be sane.

user_nat

Coach
Imagine living in a world where England had beaten us in a RL final....it would be life changing :lol: I suspect the sky would turn yellow, hover cars would be the norm, Dragons fans wouldn't be arrogant merkins, and women would be sane.

Sounds like we should be cheering England on.
Although I'm not sure those things would be worth listening to the English fans.. And those commentators.

adamkungl

Immortal
And those commentators.

I dunno man...Stevo and Eddie wouldn't know what to do with themselves after a win. Comedy gold in the waiting. Imagine...it would be like being a souffs fan. Having NEVER seen your team succeed. And having to talk them up to an international audience year in year out... they'll lose the plot entirely. There will be talk of dynasties. They'll demand statues of Sam Tomkins and Ryan Hall be erected at the entrance to Elland Rd. McNamara will be knighted. :lol:

Joker's Wild

Coach
You wouldn't hear any of that Adam as their microphones would have short circuited due to the litres of jizz filling up the commentary box.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

That'll happen when they all move out here, neighbours is the #1 TV soapy and the land of the UK itself has been swallowed up.

What's wrong with the game over there that a win in the 4 nations will remedy?

You haven't won a tournament or series vs Australia in my lifetime, and I'm 30.

You also have too many imports running around in the ESL these days but that's another story...

LeedsStorm

Juniors
You haven't won a tournament or series vs Australia in my lifetime, and I'm 30.

You also have too many imports running around in the ESL these days but that's another story...

First point - absolutely correct. Second point debatable. However, given that the international game is pitifully weak and the RFL focus on the domestic game as much as possible, why do England need an international team that can beat an Australian to exist as a credible sport? ESL games, grand final, Challenge cup, Magic weekend are all awesome sporting events - to attend and to watch. That also means players play many more matches - Sinfield will play his 43rd game this weekend. I'm not suggesting this wholly explains England's failure against Australia, but it's clear the emphasis is so much more on the domestic season.

So while an English victory would be a shot in the arm for the international team, truth is, it will have little bearing on the superleague comp and thats what English fans care about. This years playoff series and GF were fantastic and will continue to be regardless of off season international results.

hutch

First Grade
have we found out if they are opening up the top stand yet or are they still renovating it? it seems strange that the rfl would choose a stadium for the final that was half closed because of construction.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
First point - absolutely correct. Second point debatable. However, given that the international game is pitifully weak and the RFL focus on the domestic game as much as possible, why do England need an international team that can beat an Australian to exist as a credible sport? ESL games, grand final, Challenge cup, Magic weekend are all awesome sporting events - to attend and to watch. That also means players play many more matches - Sinfield will play his 43rd game this weekend. I'm not suggesting this wholly explains England's failure against Australia, but it's clear the emphasis is so much more on the domestic season.

So while an English victory would be a shot in the arm for the international team, truth is, it will have little bearing on the superleague comp and thats what English fans care about. This years playoff series and GF were fantastic and will continue to be regardless of off season international results.

Is that why Union is threatening to come in and take all the good stars?

A strong English national team should keep the top players in the sport. The international game is not as weak as you put it.

roughyedspud

Coach
have we found out if they are opening up the top stand yet or are they still renovating it? it seems strange that the rfl would choose a stadium for the final that was half closed because of construction.

from what i can gather from the seating plan the top tier is open but you can't buy tickets for the middle third of the tier....

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rle/details/event.aspx?itemref=8477

capacity should be around 35-36k

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Is that why Union is threatening to come in and take all the good stars?

A strong English national team should keep the top players in the sport. The international game is not as weak as you put it.

Disagree. If a player wants to play international rugby, in a meaningful comp, union is the game for them. Union have been apparently threatening to take all the good stars for years without great success. For every Ashton and Robinson you have the Farrells, the Chev Walkers, the Lee Smiths, expensive failures for the RFU. International League is poor. I wish it wasn't, but the truth is only two teams are competitive with one showing promise from time to time. Dubious residency/ancestry allowances spreads the talent thin, but the game simply isn't big enough outside NSW, Queensland, Yorkshire and Lancashire to be a world game.

Even if hypothetically England win the next 3 international comps - that's still the unfortunate truth. They said Eastmond leaving Saints for Union was a disaster. Then Saints fielded Lomax and Gaskill and everyone forgot about him. Take one star player from every ESL team, put him in a Union team - the game still survives and provides good talent.

So i'll be right behind england on saturday, but the result matters little for the state of the game in the UK