What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

deluded pom?

Coach
We need to take the game to major population centres i.e. London, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham etc. not little towns in Lincolnshire that no one has heard of. I can see what you mean I just don't think your location is the best option to promote the game in at this moment in time, A lot of effort with little payback.

gypsy

Bench
We need to take the game to major population centres i.e. London, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham etc. not little towns in Lincolnshire that no one has heard of. I can see what you mean I just don't think your location is the best option to promote the game in at this moment in time, A lot of effort with little payback.

I'm not talking about this area specifically, I couldn't care less about this area.
Just any area outside of what is covered now...and doing it properly.
I was merely stating that in such a small country, to be 1 hour away from a Rugby League city....probably should have more of a presence. It's not hard.

deluded pom?

Coach
We do.

It's natural if you limit the talent pool to just a few cities you'll struggle for years to come.
It really doesn't take much to expand.

It also depends on the size of the cities. Would RL in Australia have become as big as it has if it hadn't taken a grip in Sydney?

maccattack

Juniors
And the laziness is so rife, so ingrained that the players don't even get angry that they lost. The are dissappinted but not angry.

When the Aussies lose the are peeved and use that anger as motivation. The poms just go "oh well we did our best, let's go eat some pudding"

They should be getting flogged at training right now today in preparation for the next one but instead they'll just be content with competing.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
You've got the first word in your username right ;-)
You want to talk about deserted, spend some time in country NSW. Some of the best Rugby League players we've produced have come from towns with little more than a few hundred people. The NRL put some time into these areas, and occasionally it pays off.

Believe me, it's not just here that Rugby League may as well not exist, its most of the country, drive south a bit.... I'm not the enemy here, just some observations about how little is being done, in comparision to somewhere really isolated and cut off. Trent Barrett for example was plucked from Temora as a kid, and put in school in Campbeltown, and on a Illawarra Steelers contract. Temora isn't known for anything at all. Just an example, and i'm sure talent exists outside the Hull/Leeds/Wigan/St Helens walls.
Rugby League is promoted to all parts of NSW in particular, and England fits inside that multiple times. The too far away/no major roads excuses are pretty lame in my opinion. I just want Rugby League to grow in this country, and want to see England at the top of the ladder. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime at this rate though.

Apples :lol:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

Disagree, all areas need development officers fishing around be them big or small.

adamkungl

Immortal
They should be getting flogged at training right now today in preparation for the next one but instead they'll just be content with competing.

They should be getting flogged at training today in preparation for a series against NZ in late 2012? Seems a bit harsh... :lol:

Valheru

Coach
A good performance by Australia who, when they turned the screws, showed beyond doubt that they are a class above the English.

I would be looking forward to next year’s, tournament but they are not holding it and I have not heard of a satisfactory reason of why that is the case.

Who cares if the RLWC is 12 months later? It means that we in Australia won’t get to see a quality tournament 3 years (4 years form the last one held here).

oval

Juniors
Just watched the replay (I'm in Thailand so could not watch live), and I gotta say, those English commentators are REALLY shit. I know Gus, Rabs and Vossy can be irritating, but those English lads - good lord. They just about epitomise every negative stereotype we Australians have of the English; whingeing, defeatist, sooky little ass monkeys.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent a fair bit of time in the UK and have many English friends - it's a great little place - but for the sake of humanity find some new commentators!

Regarding the standard of the English team, I can't see them ever beating Australia (apart from the odd game here and there) purely because their junior base is far smaller than ours and their competition is not as strong.

Anyway, bring on the WCC.

Spitty

Juniors
I think there's a lot to look forward to for the Poms. Especially come WC-2013.

This year the team was quite a young side, all of whom will be two years more experienced. Especially Widdop and Reed who have just finished there first full seasons in the NRL and will be different players in 2 years time. Add to that Graham coming to the NRL, Sam Burgess to come back in, perhaps Luke Burgess ready to step up. Tomkins, Hall, Yeaman, Westwood, Wilkin all 2 years more experienced.

Just need a half back.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A good performance by Australia who, when they turned the screws, showed beyond doubt that they are a class above the English.

I would be looking forward to next year’s, tournament but they are not holding it and I have not heard of a satisfactory reason of why that is the case.

Who cares if the RLWC is 12 months later? It means that we in Australia won’t get to see a quality tournament 3 years (4 years form the last one held here).

Exactly! There isn't a good reason why there won't be a tournament. The ARL have agreed with the players union that the players will have a light year. So what!

4 Nations 2012
New Zealand
England
PNG
France (Euro Cup 2011 winner)

Job Done - play the Euro Cup, Atlantic Cup and the ARL can do what they like. It is irrelevant that the WC is the following year - RU play 3 & 6 nation tournaments every year even in a WC year. We need to have a solid calendar where every November we are watching a 4 Nations or a World Cup.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

This year the team was quite a young side, all of whom will be two years more experienced. Especially Widdop and Reed who have just finished there first full seasons in the NRL and will be different players in 2 years time. Add to that Graham coming to the NRL, Sam Burgess to come back in, perhaps Luke Burgess ready to step up. Tomkins, Hall, Yeaman, Westwood, Wilkin all 2 years more experienced.

Just need a half back.

I agree - I think England are improving and have done so over the last few years - they just haven't taken that big step of winning a major title yet but their team looks young and impressive.

Tomkins (had a shocker the other night but is class)
Hall (great finisher)
Reed (Class - young and in the NRL will get better)
Sinfield (good conductor, experienced good kicking game)
Widdop (Given a couple more seasons in the halfs at Melbourne under Bellamy and next to Cronk, I think he will be the answer in the halves and is young)
The forwards for England are always quality but to add to the 4 Nations squad you can throw in:

Sam Burgess (their best player in 2009) & O'Laughlin

Add these two to Graham, Roby, Luke Burgess, Peacock & JJB you could have the team that will end the drought for England.

WireMan

Bench
We do.

It's natural if you limit the talent pool to just a few cities you'll struggle for years to come.
It really doesn't take much to expand.

Really? Got any ideas to create a premier league sized comp in UK cities?
Or is this all just blue sky thinking.

And the laziness is so rife, so ingrained that the players don't even get angry that they lost. The are dissappinted but not angry.

When the Aussies lose the are peeved and use that anger as motivation. The poms just go "oh well we did our best, let's go eat some pudding"

We created a franchise system, many teams are now investing in youth, facilities are now world class. Not really laziness.

But yeah, get 'em in training now... :roll:

Just watched the replay (I'm in Thailand so could not watch live), and I gotta say, those English commentators are REALLY shit. I know Gus, Rabs and Vossy can be irritating, but those English lads - good lord. They just about epitomise every negative stereotype we Australians have of the English; whingeing, defeatist, sooky little ass monkeys.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent a fair bit of time in the UK and have many English friends - it's a great little place - but for the sake of humanity find some new commentators!

Big time. They are both terrible.

Regarding the standard of the English team, I can't see them ever beating Australia (apart from the odd game here and there) purely because their junior base is far smaller than ours and their competition is not as strong.

Anyway, bring on the WCC.

In 3 years since the Frnachise system started we have started to produce enough youngsters so we can actually have a debate about the best team. Thats in the backs, a place we have struggled due, as you say to the junior base, but also coaching. That is changing now.

The forwards are fine now and will continue to be fine. Some good young players coming through their to from the top teams.

The place we struggle the most is in the halves. Sinfield isn't a top international half, he never was and still isn't. So the problems we have always had, we still had in the final. The 5th tackle option was terrible for most of the game and gave easy territory for the Aussies to build from.

That said, their was no one better to take his place, so its not a dig at him, Macnamara or anyone. It is what it is. Their are a few good players coming through (the top 3 teams all have numerous English halves), and by 2013 at least one hopefully will be good enough to come in. Its my only worry though for the national team going forward.

We are the second best team in the World at the very start of our development arc. So its not all bad.

RedVee

First Grade

Just need a half back.

Dunno, but I'm no huge fan of Yeaman & Briscoe.

Perhaps Widdop at 5/8 with Tomkins fullback, find a half or keep Roger until you do, Roby is top shelf. If you can get into a tournament with all of your fowards available and that, or similar, spine you could give it even more of a shake.

mappa tassie

Juniors
We are the second best team in the World at the very start of our development arc. So its not all bad.

From a downunder perspective, Engand were better this year than 2009, particularly in the outside backs. But the main problem still exists, which is the lack of a play-maker at 6 or 7 to get good ball out there. If you swapped Thurston for Sinfield or Chase the result would have been pretty much exactly reversed. It's really that simple.

Since I've been into RL the Aussie team has boasted real class in Kenny, Lewis, Lyons, Daley, Fittler, Lockyer at 6, and Stirling, Langer, Stuart, Johns, Thurston at 7, - to name about half of them.

In that same time England have had Gary Schofield and for a short time maybe Ellery Hanley before he moved to lock, that you could classify as being in the same ball park.

Go back to the 70's when England was a real threat and the no 6 was Roger Millward and 7 was Steve Nash. Massive class there.

Having said all that, what happened to the kicking game on Saturday night. It was really crap . No pressure on any of the back 3 and no questions asked of either winger under the high ball. Tomkins also went MIA for whatever reason. It looked to me as though the coach instructed them to play a NRL style highly structured game, which is crazy in a test match, particularly against a team of the best NRL players. England's best chance for an upset was to take a leaf out of the Lee Briers scrap book, mix it up, make the Aussies guess and destabilise their structure. The only way to beat the Aussies is to score tries. England had 14 players (including the video ref) that could have won the match with better tactics.

Latest posts