What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 ... Australia's problem area.

OVP

Coach
Think about it here. We've had players like Daley, Fittler, Lewis etc in the past 15 years play for Oz. All of them deserve the title "great". We've been blessed in the past with such a strong bunch of 5/8s over the years. But these days i feel our stocks in this position is decidedly weak. Especially since Trent Barrett who has been ruled out on another Roo tour because of a shoulder injury.

Lockyer needs a few more years to hone his skills to even come close, but he's only been at it for ONE YEAR. He's definitely a freak, but there's no way in hell he can come close to Barrett or Fittler ... JUST YET.

Scott Hill, imo, definitely deserves to be the first picked at 5/8 because he plays like a real 5/8. Lockyer doesnt just yet, and i think Hill is better at this stage.

Anasta ? Well no thanks ... but i suppose some people think he's "great" even now :roll: .But sorry he[s not in the same league.

Apart from who i've mentioned, who could possibly fill the 5/8 spot for Australia in the coming tri-series ? I dont think i've seen a leaner time for us in the 5/8 department for many, many years. Who the hell is coming through in the future as well ? Thats an even bigger worry. Jamie Soward destroyed Hazem's point-scoring record in the Flegg comp this year, but even he is still a LONG way from being picked to play for first grade, let alone his country ( give him 2 years tho ... he's the only bright spot i can see atm).

I have to say our future isnt looking too rosy at the 5/8 position. Can anyone nominate someone from their lower grades who have potential to "break through" and play first grade soon ?

Lockyer trumps Barrett the over rated hack who offers nothing, who in turn trumps the hapless Anasta.

I do however prefer Lockyer at fullback and Minichiello on the wing.

Scott Hill is good when he's hot but when he's not, he's awful. Like the last 60 minutes of the game the other day. Shocking!!!

nqboy

First Grade
Yes we've been spoilt for 5/8s for a long time, Lewis, Kenny, Daley, Fittler. Barrett at his best can probably stand with them but those guys did it week-in, week-out for years, not a couple of times a season. Lockyer's already gone past Barrett.

It is looking a bit thin behind him though. I've always liked Hill but his time has probably passed. Anasta can have his moments but I don't think he'll be any better than Barrett.

OVP

Coach
ShireShark said:
Lockyer trumps Barrett the over rated hack who offers nothing, who in turn trumps the hapless Anasta.

I do however prefer Lockyer at fullback and Minichiello on the wing.

Scott Hill is good when he's hot but when he's not, he's awful. Like the last 60 minutes of the game the other day. Shocking!!!

Agree totally ... and its scary for the future isnt it ? Lets hope some of the Flegg boys come through soon.

Agree totally ... and its scary for the future isnt it ? Lets hope some of the Flegg boys come through soon.

The scary part is that me and you agree :)

As far as 5/8 being a problem area though, I dont think we have too much to worry about. GB and NZ will still struggle to beat us, always. It's just a shame that international rugby league is the way that it is, and not the massive money spinner like international rugby.

SOULS 04

Juniors
yeh i dont think its a problem

still got some top players in the position but yeh i think it will be a long time before we see another fitler or daley.

OVP

Coach
ShireShark said:

The scary part is that me and you agree :)

As far as 5/8 being a problem area though, I dont think we have too much to worry about. GB and NZ will still struggle to beat us, always. It's just a shame that international rugby league is the way that it is, and not the massive money spinner like international rugby.

I've always wondered about Matt Giteau ... he'd make a great league 5/8 i reckon. FFS someone throw the book at him ... even tho he's rugby, he definitely has potential. Our own stocks look even leaner than Yawnion's in this area imo :(

skeepe

Immortal
Dobson from the Raiders. I would have been saying Soward from the Raiders but... well you know.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Anasta has stepped up this season. I've always rated him as having the potential and all-round game to pass Barrett to become Fittler's successor (until Lockyer made the move to 5/8th obviously), and this season he's started to show that. He's not there yet, but I predict that over the next two years he'll overtake Barrett to become Locky's main competitor.

OVP

Coach
nqboy said:
Yes we've been spoilt for 5/8s for a long time, Lewis, Kenny, Daley, Fittler. Barrett at his best can probably stand with them but those guys did it week-in, week-out for years, not a couple of times a season. Lockyer's already gone past Barrett.

It is looking a bit thin behind him though. I've always liked Hill but his time has probably passed. Anasta can have his moments but I don't think he'll be any better than Barrett.

Just one thing about your post there Nqboy ... i dont agree that Lockyer has surpassed Barrett. Barrett has ALWAYS been sensational at top-level rep league. You are correct in that he simply rarely plays though ... but still i think Lockyer has a bit of a way to go to match even Barrett at rep-level 5/8.

I remember a few years ago when we were struggloing to produce decent halfbacks.

Craig Gower, Brett Finch, Brent Sherwin, Nathan Fien, Scott Prince, Matt Orford, Matthew head, Brett Firman, Joey Williams....

I remember when were had a real problem in that we just didnt produce quality prop forwards any more.

Joel Clinton, Ben Ross, Luke Bailey, Jason Ryles, Mark O'Meley, Steve Price....

Remember when people were saying we just dont produce classy centers like we use to?

Josh Hannay, Willie Tonga, Brent Tate, Shaun Berrigan, Luke Lewis, mark Gasnier, Matthew Copper, Jamie Lyon, Ben Harris, Paul Bowman....

I wouldnt worry about the 5/8th position. Our game has a history of producing the goods when its needed. ;-)

OVP

Coach
nospam49 said:
I remember a few years ago when we were struggloing to produce decent halfbacks.

Craig Gower, Brett Finch, Brent Sherwin, Nathan Fien, Scott Prince, Matt Orford, Matthew head, Brett Firman, Joey Williams....

I remember when were had a real problem in that we just didnt produce quality prop forwards any more.

Remember when people were saying we just dont produce classy centers like we use to?

Josh Hannay, Willie Tonga, Brent Tate, Shaun Berrigan, Luke Lewis, mark Gasnier, Matthew Copper, Jamie Lyon, Ben Harris, Paul Bowman....

I wouldnt worry about the 5/8th position. Our game has a history of producing the goods when its needed. ;-)

Well go on then ... nominate some for the future. You seem so confident, so why not tell us who you think will make it ?

OVP said:
nospam49 said:

Well go on then ... nominate some for the future. You seem so confident, so why not tell us who you think will make it ?

You are missing the point.

These type of players come out of the wood work. Some of them were good junior players, but some of them tryed to have a good career, failed, went home and within 12 months they were playing agianst the Roosters and being talked about as a form prop forwards (Shane Tronc).

The game ALWAYS finds a way to produce these players when we need them.