What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Days, Then The Roosters

Your not suppose to (ala my stupid Bulldogs), your suppose to compress the defense then go wide. Last night you guys tried for width without doing the hard work. You saw in the second half that you were punching straight through the middle, and then there was plenty of space to go around them. Just the conditions weren't great for that attack.

You guys aren't far off where you need to be. Just playing a bit smarter and setting the tone early using your big boys to compress that defense.

DOW, you have more faith in most here, 2nd half we kept making ground had they started match like that we win,

Dogs Of War

Coach
DOW, you have more faith in most here, 2nd half we kept making ground had they started match like that we win,

Yep. It would have been a better arm wrestle, but you gave the early running to them cause they played how you were suppose to be playing (up the middle). Thus why they dominated field position without actually looking like scoring (which is credit to your team).

I just wish Des would take a look at how your guys played the second half. It's what the Dogs should be doing, we have the big boppers, but you can't just grind up the middle, you need to spread it wide so that defense is kept honest. A little better handling/execution last night and you guys win that game despite only playing the right tactics in the second half.

taipan

Referee
Geez looking forward to the Rorters next Saturday night.That is the entree for getting done like a dinner,then the main course against the Mexican Salary Cappers.
An away semi against the Raiders at Bruce,yeah all we need.

Weaponhead

Coach
It's not out of the question that the side can turn it around
It's a form slump sure but a lot to do with mental drain
It's simple things that can be fixed
Agreed. This season's success has been built on winning the yardage battle and executing quality attacking plays with players running good support lines.

Winning the yardage battle is twofold
1. Yards after contact and quick ptb
2. Line speed, catch and drive in early tackles.

Both of these require high effort and are hard to sustain for the whole season. Need to get Gallen back for tough runs and run with support to reduce gang tackles.

Better yardage will flow into attacking plays. The past few games have seen a lack of support lines. This is attitude and can be fixed.

All is not lost. Still top 2 with destiny in our own hands.

Card Shark

Immortal
Need to get more energetic when we get tackled to get to our feet.

Have to fight in the tackle...benefit is 2-fold. Quick play the ball or penalty.

Card Shark

Immortal
It's not out of the question that the side can turn it around
It's a form slump sure but a lot to do with mental drain
It's simple things that can be fixed

Absolutely.

I didn't think we'd beat the Rabbits, we had too much to turn around. We did improve in some areas & some of the fight in our game returned in the 2nd half.

We can build on that enough to beat the Roosters. 1 win can be enough to get our season back in track.

That might not be enough to hold onto top 2 though & we may end up in Canberra. Out of all the non-sydney teams, I'd choose to play there - it would have to be our best away ground outside of Sydney - perhaps including Sydney.

They showed a few cracks on the weekend...they aren't unbeatable.

shaggs

Coach
Hold onto the ball and hit hard with first contact in defence.
It's a simple game played by simple folk. And coached by even simpler folk.

Card Shark

Immortal
Pretty much everything comes back to enthusiasm.

We lost it because we qualified for the finals too early & started going through the motions.

We have to get it back now that the finals are in sight.

Some of you Sharks fans are getting embarrassing.

Losing culture? Tick.

its how we roll

have to say, what is more embarrassing is saints fans trying to troll last week

give me an a
give me an m
give me an a

ahhh f**k it you all know how to spell amateur

Last edited:
Your not suppose to (ala my stupid Bulldogs), your suppose to compress the defense then go wide. Last night you guys tried for width without doing the hard work. You saw in the second half that you were punching straight through the middle, and then there was plenty of space to go around them. Just the conditions weren't great for that attack.

You guys aren't far off where you need to be. Just playing a bit smarter and setting the tone early using your big boys to compress that defense.

reading this I did put the razor blade down.The "forwards not big enough " was beginning to get to me. But it reminded me of a successful tactic i used in basterd ball many year ago . Don't have to have a great outside shooters just need to be wise in shot selection to make the defense defend outside ,opening up the inside lanes. Kind of reverse (outside inside) in the thugby league game but principle the same.

Card Shark

Immortal
Going to the game, weather permitting.

Looking forward to it, I think we will be on our way back.

C'mon Sharks!