What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Questions about Sonny Bill Williams?

1. Will the deal come to fruition considering he requires NRL clearance & has an unaccredited player manager?

2. Will it be a circus if and when he gets here?

3. Do you consider him to be "injury prone"?

4. Will he have the desired effect/impact on the field that the Roosters are after?

5. If he does can Nick Politis convince *wink wink* him to stay longer than one season?

I'm very interested to hear what you guys think?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
1- pretty sure cam smith takes care of his own negotiations so why wouldn't SBW be able to look after his own. I see no issue at all.

2- wasn't a circus in Waikato, Canterbury and Toulon before that.

3 - no, last 2 full seasons of league He played 21 games a season. He's a much more developed physical specimen nowadays.

4 - not sure, there's no doubting his ability but we as a whole squad will be an unknown quantity in some respects next year.

5 - depends on what the original handshake agreement was.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Could blow up in our face but could work an absolute charm. SBW is a winner and I think we'll head north next season.

Monk

Referee
SBW is the type of player where I'm willing to risk it to get the biscuit.

SuperiorEasts

Juniors
1. Will the deal come to fruition considering he requires NRL clearance & has an unaccredited player manager?

Yes. The deal will be done, the NRL wants him back thus all the publicity. He will be here in 2013.

2. Will it be a circus if and when he gets here?

No. He will behave himself and adapt to our culture. The DT and Slothfield will write negative crap about him but that's expected.

3. Do you consider him to be "injury prone"?

Maybe. I don't expect him to be a workaholic forward while here though so hopefully he won't get any serious injuries.

4. Will he have the desired effect/impact on the field that the Roosters are after?

Yes. He will lead us to a premiership.

5. If he does can Nick Politis convince *wink wink* him to stay longer than one season?

Not necessary. When we win a premiership in 2013 our culture is strong enough to sustain multiple GF victories without him.

Ausguy

Coach
1. Other accredited player managers from Titan group are taking the lead on it in place of the scumbag who is currently banned.

Edward

Juniors
1. I don't know.
2. No. It is only the media that will have you believe that he brings a "circus" with him. He is a professional athlete.
3. No more than any other player is.
4. I don't know. He will be targeted and all teams will lift against the Roosters in 2013 if he is in the team.
5. I don't know.

Rambo1'

Juniors
I definately wouldnt consider him injury prone and dont expect him to be in the Nrl for more than 2 seasons at the most. Hand shake agreement aside I reckon the only reason he's coming back is he wants a rugby league world cup on his C.V. He really enjoyed his rugby and am predicting he will be back in nz at the end of 2014 (or earlier) getting ready for the AB's defence of the rugby union world cup in 2015.

Valheru

Coach
1. The deal will be done. The NRL will either accredit Nasser or he will use another manager for this deal. He could always “negotiate his own deal”.
2. It will be a circus in terms of the media and they will scrutinise the club and SBW more than it already does. It won’t be a circus in terms of SBW’s off field behaviour.
3. Not really. This is his 1st injury in a few years if I remember correctly. There is a question mark over how his body will hold up through a full season of NRL though.
4. Yes – If nothing else, SBW is a winner.
5. I’m inclined to believe that he will do 3 or 4 on year deals so he can play Japanese rugby every offseason.

Rambo1'

Juniors
1. The deal will be done. The NRL will either accredit Nasser or he will use another manager for this deal. He could always ?negotiate his own deal?.
2. It will be a circus in terms of the media and they will scrutinise the club and SBW more than it already does. It won?t be a circus in terms of SBW?s off field behaviour.
3. Not really. This is his 1st injury in a few years if I remember correctly. There is a question mark over how his body will hold up through a full season of NRL though.
4. Yes ? If nothing else, SBW is a winner.
5. I?m inclined to believe that he will do 3 or 4 on year deals so he can play Japanese rugby every offseason.

Your dreaming:crazy:

Monk

Referee
[/COLOR]
Your dreaming:crazy:

D you have any input of your own or are you just going to laugh at everything other people say?

For the record, it's quite possible SBW can get successive one year deals worth a few hundred grand each, it's easy on the Roosters Wallet and that way he gets his payday playing rugby.

D you have any input of your own or are you just going to laugh at everything other people say?

For the record, it's quite possible SBW can get successive one year deals worth a few hundred grand each, it's easy on the Roosters Wallet and that way he gets his payday playing rugby.

True, however the ARLC will somehow close the loop hole to prevent other "off-contract" players doing the same, otherwise 1 yr contracts will become the standard practice in the league.

Valheru

Coach
True, however the ARLC will somehow close the loop hole to prevent other "off-contract" players doing the same, otherwise 1 yr contracts will become the standard practice in the league.

The only way they could stop it id if the contracts run for the calendar year which won?t happen due to the season ending early October at which point players change teams.

The ARLC will never be able to stop players from only signing 1 year deals.

Rambo1'

Juniors

POST #12 in this thread....

I definately wouldnt consider him injury prone and dont expect him to be in the Nrl for more than 2 seasons at the most. Hand shake agreement aside I reckon the only reason he's coming back is he wants a rugby league world cup on his C.V. He really enjoyed his rugby and am predicting he will be back in nz at the end of 2014 (or earlier) getting ready for the AB's defence of the rugby union world cup in 2015.

Was my input Nobby. :roll: Still think your dreaming.

Monk

Referee
Touché, didn't notice it was you who posted the comment.

Personally, I don't think we'll be able to keep him past maybe a second one year deal (if we even bring him back for a second). We've got so many young players coming through who are going to need to get resigned fast, as well as Pearce needing a new contract. I don't know if we'll be able to get everyone we want re-signed if we keep offering Sonny year by year contracts. I'm guessing the organisation feels that SBW is the last piece of the puzzle to us winning the comp that we came so close to in 2010, and they expect us to win it this year, or at least lay the foundation for a successful 2014. So yeh, I don't expect Sonny will be around here for too long.