What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Questions with ERL

Emu01

Juniors
Great report! Interesting that Serbia said they need their own field to play Rugby League,instead of renting soccer fields.

Surly between the big 3 nations they could pay for a rugby league field to be built for Serbia to call home.

ERLeague

Juniors
14462848_1234802229918315_5781774342333774232_n.jpg

5 Questions with ERL: Chile Rugby League

We spoke with Guillermo Artiaga from CRL recently about RL in Chile

I would like to start by saying that these three months of development have been very encouraging. I am proud of what we have done in a small and poor country which mainly plays football (soccer).

• Tell us a little about your country

Chile is a very diverse in their landscapes country which has 15 regions with diversities of climate and culture while Chile currently has no sporting tradition the country is in a high rate of physical inactivity in which football 13 (RL) aims to tackle through the youth of our country.

Our country has many shortcomings which put it in a stage of underdevelopment where the working class are seeking better living conditions in front of a very small group that has great wealth in the country.

We notice these inequalities and we are on track to development but there is much room for improvement in health education and why not mention sport.

• How long has RL has played in your country?

I have been a fan of the sport for several years. I started watching NRL and Super League games 12 years ago on the internet. I watched rugby union but there was something I was missing. I saw football 13 (RL) and I generating the idea of creating workshops for young people to learn this sport and be integrated with the same fanaticism as mine.

• What do you most need the help to grow the game?

Currently the aid rests with municipalities and state's which is very complicated to get projects approved when you are a new sport but the most important thing we need is training to get certified. Also we need more exposure for the sport in different cities . It would be ideal to receive training so I can help to expand Rugby League’s reach and increase my knowledge so I can pass onto people and create more clubs nationwide.

• What your biggest challenges?

Financial support is the biggest if we are to afford all the equipment and travel amongst other things. There is not much support from the municipalities in our country. One helped us correctly which was the Municipality of Negrete although today we are fighting to bring the sport to more places in the country and having so little resources to mobilize slows up greatly. Also there is no payment for us who teach Rugby League.

• What is you dream scenario in 10 years?

We would like to have an established Federation as well as many clubs across the country and continue to focus on middle and lower classes in public schools. So in 10 years already have players of great potential with the possibility of a a professional team which can increase the talent of our country in football 13 (RL).

We would also like to be a popular sport like soccer and football and reach the Rugby League World Cup

Thanks for speaking with us Guillermo

Follow them here: https://www.facebook.com/ChileRugbyXIII/

Dakink

Bench
Great read. Developing the kids ensures a future...would love to see a Copa America one day!

ERLeague

Juniors
14519919_1239526276112577_1772026190614328942_n.jpg

We spoke with Brazil’s Hugo Fróes about the great work currently being done to get Rugby League up and running there.

Tell us a bit about your country.

Brazil, as everyone knows is a stunning country with a unique natural beauty, great food and friendly people.

Brazilians are also passionate about sports, especially football, which dominates the television and is undoubtedly the national sport. In second, but far away from football, we have volleyball, practiced by most women in general. Also we practice basketball and individual practice sports such tennis, swimming and running which are quite disseminated. Motorsports and martial arts are very well known as well.

Rugby union is the fastest growing sport in the country today, and it is his shadow, we are developing rugby league.

How long has RL been played in your country?

Rugby league began in the state of Espirito Santo in Brazil in 2013 if I am not mistaken, with Wander Ferraz. In São Lourenço, we started in 2014, but are still individuals and not joint practices.

What are you in most need to help the game grow? I think we need refereeing courses, coaching courses, sports management applied to sport in particular. The knowledge we have about the sport is superficial. We also need to the help of rugby league’s governing bodies to help spread the game in Brazil.

What are the biggest challenge that you face?

It is quite complicated, we have no equipment for training or even balls. And as I said earlier, the knowledge of rugby league here is very superficial. Any support or investment, even if very little will help to lift the sport here.

What is your dream scenario 10 years from now for your RL organisation?

Brazil has a huge potential! We love contact sports (MMA , Boxing, Rugby Union and others) and rugby union in Brazil is very elitist and the Confederation injects money only in the southern richest states and southeast. Rugby league could cover this gap in the market. We would love to have a national league and national team and why not, Brazilian athletes playing semi- professionally and professionally abroad. That would be a huge dream, and what makes me most excited about is that we do not need so much to achieve this.

Finally, I appreciate the opportunity and the support of the ERL . I also thank the friends who help us to develop the sport in Latin America. Robert Burgin of Latin Heat , Carlos Varela (Argentina Confederation of Rugby ) and Wander Ferraz of Brazil. We are organizing the first rugby tournament involving Argentina , Chile and we the St. Lawrence Rugby, representing Brazil , Argentina in November and if anyone can help , please donate to our crowdfunding .

Latest posts