What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 tackle try - NQ dudded again!

God-King Dean

Immortal
Didn't Ennis (back when he played for Newcastle) set up a try off an unintential drop-kick? Went to kick it, hit the ground first, then off the boot. Was counted as play-on because it was technically a drop-kick.

Eion

First Grade
Yuh, pretty simple really. Drop the ball in front of you not attempting a field goal = knock on.

Card Shark

Immortal
Bump

It is called a knock on.

The ref knows it.. I know it... Daley cherry Evans knows it.

Refs are so f'in inconsistent, no wonder fans blow up.

I know Cherry-Evans missed it by a considerable margin compared to Lui but the bottom line is , they both missed it & the decisions are different.

Go figure??

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ree-matt-cecchin/story-e6frf3ou-1226744762976

My decision didn't rob North Queensland Cowboys, says NRL referee Matt Cecchin

Peter Badel
The Daily Telegraph
October 23, 2013 12:00AM

SHATTERED referee Matt Cecchin says his botched tackle-count may have cost him a World Cup spot, but he insists the blunder did not rob the Cowboys of a maiden premiership.

It has been five weeks since the Cowboys were left outraged after a terrible officiating gaffe saw Cronulla awarded a seventh-tackle try in their 20-18 sudden-death victory at Allianz Stadium.

Six officials were subsequently axed - but it was Cecchin, the referee guilty of the inflated tackle-count, who felt the greatest pain of all.

The 39-year-old is no stranger to adversity. Last year, Cecchin became the first rugby league official to publicly reveal he is gay, so he understands the toll of confronting one's demons.

But the seven-tackle saga still stung. Since his NRL officiating debut in 2001, Cecchin says he had never previously erred on a tackle-count, which is why the fallout, amid allegations he cost the Cowboys a title, cuts deep.

"There were a heap of feelings — embarrassment, disappointment, anger, I went through the whole lot," says Cecchin, speaking for the first time since his costly clanger.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I've refereed more than 100,000 play-the-balls in my career and this is the first time I've got a count wrong.

"I've had my demons to deal with as part of the process. In pulling the game apart, there is no-one else to be filthy on. Other officials were dropped, but it was my mistake. It hurts.

"The error I made was simply a mistake, it wasn't inexperience or poor positioning. It just happened. The hard thing is I have to wait until next year before I get to referee again — it's a long-time between drinks."

Asked about claims he dudded the Cowboys, Cecchin says: "There were plenty of incidents in that game that combine to have an impact. Players are involved as well and they make errors. I didn't feel like going out for a few days — but life goes on."

Cecchin paid a heavy price for a split-second miscount. Gone was his shot at a grand final. Australia will have four officials at the World Cup, starting Saturday, but Cecchin will not be one of them, despite having controlled the 2011 Four Nations final.

Cecchin accepts many league fans will be asking, 'How?'

How could he commit such a fundamental officiating error on such an important stage?

"The answer is it's no different to why does a player drop a sitter? Why does a player miss a tackle?" Cecchin muses.

"We do make mistakes, and we work very hard at trying to prevent it. But it will never get to zero. Like the players, we are human."

Cecchin wasn't made aware of the error until half-time. Devastated, the second stanza became a test of character.

"None of the officials knew, none of the players knew at all. It was a shock," he said.

"I knew my season was over right there and then. I had seven or eight minutes to get my head right.

"I 'black-boxed' it like we are trained to do and got on with the job in the second half. But I got my arse kicked and that was part of the review.

"It brings you back to earth. But I have an aim to do the State of Origin and the grand final next year and the only way of doing that is by bouncing back and being the best referee I can be."

skeepe

Immortal
Did the Daily Telegraph really just compare an incorrect tackle count to publicly revealing one's sexuality?

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Card Shark

Immortal
Good on him.

Nice to hear a ref actually give his thoughts on something like that.

Agree. Liked where he said he makes mistakes like players do.

Hardly a word is said about all the NQ errors that could've changed the game (including making the necessary tackle to stop the try), only his error.

Lucas-Con

Juniors
This isn't Cechins first f**k up he's not a good ref and if it wasn't for the fact that he has publicly revealed he was gay i gurantee he'd be out of the job although brett suttor still has a job and hes the worst ref of them all.

TheDalek079

Bench
Agree. Liked where he said he makes mistakes like players do.

Hardly a word is said about all the NQ errors that could've changed the game (including making the necessary tackle to stop the try), only his error.

its because blaming someone else is easier than taking responsibility for your actions/poor decision making/playing ability

BigSteveo

Juniors
Yuh, pretty simple really. Drop the ball in front of you not attempting a field goal = knock on.

Incorrect.

If the referees believes that a player intentially dropped the ball for the purpose of a drop kick it is not regarded as a knock on, but a kick in general play.

There is a miconception that a drop kick must only be used for the attempt of a drop goal. But a drop kick is regarded as the same as a punt kick and place kick in general play, all legal.