What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A call to arms

Perth Red

Post Whore
If there is one thing we should take from the Force's succesful campaign to get a Super 14 franchise it was the power of the fans in making it known that they wanted a team.

After attending the two NRL games in perth last year it is clear that there is a hardcore of at least 10,000 RL fans in Perth. We somehow need to mobilise these people into letting the WA media, the NRL/ARL and WARL know that there is a strong grass roots support for a new team.

Whilst the NRL hasn't yet announced plans for any new franchises they have made murmourings of interest in having a Perth team in the future. we need to do what the RU fans did and be ready to mobilise ourselves when the time comes.

Any ideas?

phonetic

Juniors
Is there another game or two held in Perth this year? If so.. turn out in numbers again!

There's nothing official on further expansion yet I don't think.

Nuke

Staff member
The WARL in their 'wisdom' (make of that what you will!) decided against hosting NRL matches in 2006 because of the hype of the Farce.

There was gonna be 2-3 games here this season (including the Knights-Panthers trial match that Alice Springs hosted a fortnight ago), but they were all going to be during the union season.

From that point of view, I can understand their decision, but I'm still peeved that I missed out on a Knights game in Perth because of union.

Geoff Baldwin (he runs the WARL) has said that next season, when the union hype fades away, Perth will be hosting up to 3 NRL matches.
Geoff said that when the Farce don't win many games (so far, I believe, that prediction is coming true), people will fall off the bandwagon, and that'll be the better time to bring REAL footy to WA (Geoff didn't say anything about real footy, that's my terminology).

I reckon that's pretty-well spot on. Perth people, in my experience, are one of Australia's biggest bandwagon-jumpers. When the NRL returns to Perth in 2007, we need hype, and LOTS OF IT! That should get a few people jumping on our bandwagon ... in theory at least.

Here's hoping, anyway.

Nuke

Staff member
If I was any good at this, I'd be in marketting! Unfortunately, I'm not, so I'm not good with working out how to make it happen!