What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A further example of the importance of Gutho to the eels.

phantom eel

First Grade
Lol.

"Timmy came up to me the other week and said after a couple of months on it he felt 10 times better late in the games.”

That's because he only plays 29 minutes these days, of course he feels better late in the games!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
How text group and bodybuilder sparked Eels trio Tim Mannah, Corey Norman and Clint Gutherson

636534_640x360_large_20170806212811.jpg

TIM Mannah takes a picture of his food and sends it to Corey Norman and Clint Gutherson.
Shortly after, Mannah gets an alert.

He opens the message to see a thumbs-up and a photo of Gutherson’s plate.

Norman will send one back most of the time.

Who would’ve thought a bodybuilding model, a WhatsApp chat group and an injured fullback could make such an impact on Parramatta’s run to the finals?

LIVE stream the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week Foxtel Now trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW

While taking photos of your food for your Instagram or snapchat is widely considered a cringeworthy act, in a strange way it’s partly responsible for the Eels’ incredible form surge.

And the man behind it is their injured fullback.

“Timmy and I have a group chat with Normy and we send pictures of meals,” Gutherson told foxsports.com.au.

3b3c42b918b73a48bfe83d310e550ddb

Corey Norman kicks as Tim Mannah closes in during Parramatta training.Source: News Corp Australia

“It’s just little things but it makes a massive difference in what you can do on the field and off it. Timmy came up to me the other week and said after a couple of months on it he felt 10 times better late in the games.”

At the age of 29 and in his ninth season of first grade, Mannah’s skin fold measurements have never been better.

His Dexa Scan readings are the best of his career.

Corey Norman has also improved his results.

But it’s Mannah, who plays his 200th first grade game this weekend, who is reaping the greatest rewards from the health kick.

“It started about two months ago,” Mannah said.

“I wasn’t happy with the way I was travelling on the field, my energy levels and a few things. I wanted to make some changes. Gutho pretty much sets the standard with his nutrition and preparation. He took me under his wing with what to eat.

0107253a852ebeb06f73df10a716355a

Former NRL player Kayne Lawton makes healthy food plans.Source: Instagram
“Every night I was sending him photos of my dinner and I still do it now. He gives me the thumbs up and lets me know if it’s good or bad. I just wanted to make sure I was doing whatever he’s doing.

“… the difference between now and two months ago is huge. It’s made a huge impact on my game and my energy levels. My results in terms of fat percentage and muscle mass are career-best. I’m grateful Gutho was willing to put time into us. It gives us all accountability and keeps us honest.”

Before suffering a season-ending ACL injury, Gutherson was enjoying his best season yet and he credits a former teammate for unlocking his potential.

Former Titans and Sea Eagles hooker Kayne Lawton is a body builder with an incredible physique who writes meal plans for athletes.

7b51181e032c763d95ac9d7fe2d1af9b

Tim Mannah (right) and Clint Gutherson celebrate a try.Source: AAP
Gutherson transformed his body with the diet over the pre-season and it didn’t go unnoticed by his teammates.

“In pre-season he said he wanted to get lean and ripped so he got on this diet and his body looks ridiculous,” Norman said.

“I don’t have the discipline like he does. I thought we’re sitting in a good position, Timmy, Gutho and I thought ‘let’s start eating well and tighten up for the back end of the season. It can’t hurt us’.

“Timmy and Gutho are sticking to it a bit better than I am. It does help. Even Timmy’s body shape is changing and he’s playing well.”

dd863aebc28ffb96a8596196412fa4b4

Kenny Edwards and Tim Mannah celebrate winning a game.Source: Getty Images
Despite being out for the season, Gutherson has kept Mannah and Norman accountable, while sticking to the regime himself.

If anyone has an excuse to deviate from the plan it’s Gutherson but, according to Mannah, he’s never wavered.

“We keep each other honest,” Mannah said.

“We’re not forcing it. It’s just three mates keeping each other honest. Gutho is still sending his through. He’s a legend.

“He could’ve easily dropped off that but he’s been really good.”

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What if Guth is busy? Does Mannah let his food go cold waiting for a thumbs up?

Starting to think that their plan is somewhat flawed tbh.

forward pass

Coach
How do we know Tim is not taking a photo of his wife's salad - and then hoeing into a bucket of KFC.

There needs to be an investigation into this because I am not convinced this plan is foolproof.

TheRam

Coach
Hey El Dicko, why don't you send him a picture of the snag you eat in the morning?

Latest posts