What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A glimmer of hope?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Buzz: Let’s get you thoughts on some issues starting with expansion.

Expansion has to be on the table. The game can’t be complacent. We have to grow. If we stagnate we die. And that is why I want to see it back on the table. It’s time.

We need to be strategic about it and think long term.

There is so much other entertainment and other sports people are interested in. We can’t sit on our bums. The quality of the game is great but we’ve got to ensure it has a future.

That’s why expansion is so important.

Buzz: So what areas?

Now this is my personal view. We need to look at where we’re going. We’re putting a big emphasis on Perth this year with the season opener.

By the time the next TV deal comes around at 2022, we’ve got to have a product to have an attractive package for the networks. Are we going to have another QLD team? Or is it PNG? Is it Perth or country NSW?

The new State cups will provide an opportunity for everyone to demonstrate they deserve a place in the NRL. Not just through their on-field performance but the way they run their club and their business.

I can’t wait to see teams like Perth, Fiji, New Zealand, PNG, Country NSW and other cities in action, week after week in State Cup matches. Even Ipswich or Redcliffe. We’ve got to give them all a signal that we’re looking at expansion.

This broadcast cycle will give us the opportunity to see how serious they are about becoming part of the NRL. And, if one or two of them demonstrate they will benefit the NRL, can we look at including them in the next cycle?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/36cad6516e4dd6352c776ba731128111

Jankuloski

Juniors
A little more than that, I think. This was also on NRL.com: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/29/perths-new-colosseum-to-boost-nrl-expansion-bids/

Nothing in the article is relevant, but the fact that it’s in the headline suggests it’s not a topic off limits for the official game outlet anymore..

He seems to advocate the same deal Super League has - earn your way in through the bottom leagues, and he has a timeline in place.

Also, he has come out publically before he’s voted in, so it’s a plus. The club may still stall him ofcourse, but he is more likely to be a force in that direction.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd say any talk of promotion is limited to a very small subset of Brisbane area QCUP teams.

Most NSW Cup teams are reserve grade sides, aside from a couple who are former NSWRL sides and hard to see them making a return. Old Bears fans might cling to the throwaway "NSW Country" mention but I don't think Gosford is getting a team unless a Sydney NRL team moves there. I was a big supporter of Central Coast Bears expansion in the past but sadly the boat has sailed.

I can't see PNG or Fiji in NRL in our lifetimes. The cultural and financial divide between Australia and PNG is worlds apart from Australia and NZ.

Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ 2, Adelaide...

Perth seems to be one on the cards, really.

They've been taking games there for nearly 10 years. They're had or getting SOO and Test matches, etc. Every time any one is in Perth it's talked up as a 'why not?' and 'it's about time' etc. Plus older fans and players remember the Western Reds and pretty much want them back.

It's up to the NRL to be proactive now and deliver.

We'll see, I guess.

adamkungl

Immortal
Perth should be locked in at the earliest available opportunity.
Brisbane, NZ and Adelaide should be asked to provide bids for the 2nd spot alongside Perth.

The 2 'losers' will then be able to to go and build on their bids for the next expansion round in 5-10 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d actually say Brisbane has to be first. Two new clubs will cost nrl around $30mill a year. They will need to recoup as much of that as they can and the most obvious way of doing that is in selling a ninth game to broadcasters. There can be no argument that another game featuring a Brisbane side every week is by far the most valuable commodity.

Then It comes down to where does the second club comes from. There is no doubt Perth offers the best new growth market. Significant population that continues to grow, strongest grass roots RL set up outside nrl traditional areas, quality stadium and proven fanbase. Forces demise may have them a bit nervous about the commercial viability of a perth team and travel costs for nrl will be greatest for a perth team but it still offers the best hope for a major new nrl club in an expansion market.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It’s all very positive and good to hear.

Expansion hopefuls now know that to compete, get one of the spots and break even they will have to have
• A $15-20 mil at least CoE
• Office space for management
• football operations budget of $6ish mil.
• other miscellaneous admin costs, marketing etc of $2/3mil.
• 130% of salary cap. So 30% to help with costs above.
• a generous junior league area with development pathways.
• solid sponsorship deals in place and state gov commitment to promote and expand the game in schools.

I’d like to see Perth be introduced in 2020 or 2021 and take advantage of the bye the 17th team would create. Then 2022 brisbane 2. I think expand to the new area and then continue to engage heartland areas is the best course of action.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah I wont hold my breath...

We've heard it all before, Dave Smith was pro expansion, John Grant was pro expansion, David Gallop was always throwing around the carrot of expansion, etc, apart from the Titans it never happened, and I wont be surprised it if a year from now Beatie is towing the party line.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Typical politician, says it’s just his personal view then offers no commentary on who he thinks should be in or when!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Typical politician, says it’s just his personal view then offers no commentary on who he thinks should be in or when!

Agree, but part of me thinks that for maximum effect I don’t think it would be wise for the Nrl to leak the expansion ideas to anyone even us plebes. If they came out tomoz and told us in 2022 that Perth and Brisbane 2 were in, in my opinion that would be very very bad. The afl and union could direct funds and support to those areas to counter the expansion affect.

The best case would be to support and assist expansion areas like they are with Perth and then when 2yrs out from introduction make it public. Lessens the chance for other codes to direct funds to the area.

I’d like to think that the double header could be a good time to introduce Perth to the comp for 2020 season or more likely origin in Perth 2019 for introduction into 2021 season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And here we go! Bids getting their hopes again. Awaiting the Bears and CQ press releases next lol

Bombers Close in on NRL Target
by TRAVIS MEYN
The Courier-Mail
January 30, 2018 7:00pm
THE Brisbane Bombers are ready to “pull the trigger” and deliver the River City a second NRL team.

Incoming ARLC chairman Peter Beattie’s declaration that the NRL must expand or die has given the Bombers’ bid team renewed optimism.

It has been seven years since the Bombers announced their intentions to secure an NRL licence and become Brisbane’s second club alongside the Broncos.

The NRL has bumbled along since then, failing to introduce any new clubs to the competition since the Gold Coast Titans joined in 2007.

Beattie highlighted Ipswich and Redcliffe as possible areas for a third club in southeast Queensland but the Bombers believe they have the strongest bid for inclusion.

“We are ready to go,” Bombers’ NRL bid CEO Nick Livermore said.

“We’ve got a really strong business case. We’ve got the financial backing. There are commercial partners there.

“It’s a matter of getting the chance to pull the trigger.

“There is a renewed optimism when you’ve got someone of Peter Beattie’s credentials and experience saying that.

“It shows his mindset about where he feels the commission should be directing the game.”

SuperCoach is back with up to $500K in prizes

The Broncos have enjoyed a monopoly in Brisbane since their introduction in 1988, building an NRL powerhouse which now rakes in revenue in excess of $40 million a year.

The club is widely recognised to have a geographical advantage, being the only team in a rugby league-mad city of more than two million people.

In contrast, there are nine clubs in the Sydney region encompassing about five million people.

The financial volatility of the current 16 NRL clubs — only the Broncos regularly turn a profit — has been a major factor in the game’s reluctance to expand.

But former Queensland premier Beattie is determined to grow the game’s footprint, highlighting Queensland and Perth as potential locations for new teams when the game’s next broadcast cycle begins in 2022.

Livermore, who has former Maroons players Billy Moore and Scott Sattler involved in the Bombers’ bid, said it made economic sense for Brisbane to be granted a licence.

“Commercially, Brisbane is the largest market between Sydney and Singapore,” he said.

“The fact that there is not rugby league on here every weekend … we’re behind the eight ball.

“The only way to create a footprint is to have a brand people can identify with.

“Without getting into the semantics of it, we’ve always maintained you need to be in Brisbane and push to the regions.

“The moment you place a regional team in, you polarise. If you move to the north, you polarise the south. We’ve maintained you need a team in the city and pushing out.

“The model to sustainability is to have corporate commercial support and Brisbane is far and away the best place for that.”

‘I’ve still got that hunger’.

http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au/broncos-close-nrl-target/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Right on cue!

DESPITE the challenges and setbacks, Geoff Murphy remains determined to secure CQ their own NRL team.

A respected local businessman and Chairman of the CQ NRL bid, Mr Murphy has been part of the furniture in CQ since 1961.

Since he launched CQ's bid to join the NRL over 10 years ago, he has ploughed $3.5 million of his own money and countless hours of his time trying to get the bid over the try line.

With the current chairman ARL commissioner John Grant due to step down from the role next month, the man touted to be his replacement, Peter Beattie, has left the door open for a possible NRL expansion beyond the current 16 teams.

Mr Murphy has a revived sense of confidence about CQ's bid after the former Queensland premier made clear that the competition could grow, most likely in 2022, to coincide with the new broadcast deal.

"Expansion has to be on the table. The game can't be complacent. We have to grow. If we stagnate we die. And that is why I want to see it back on the table. It's time,” Mr Beattie said.

"We need to be strategic about it and think long term.

"There is so much other entertainment and other sports people are interested in. We can't sit on our bums. The quality of the game is great but we've got to ensure it has a future.

"That's why expansion is so important.”

By the time the next TV deal comes around in 2022, Mr Beattie said the NRL would need to have a product that represented an attractive package for the networks.

"Are we going to have another QLD team? Or is it PNG? Is it Perth or country NSW?” he said.

"The new State cups will provide an opportunity for everyone to demonstrate they deserve a place in the NRL. Not just through their on-field performance but the way they run their club and their business.

"I can't wait to see teams like Perth, Fiji, New Zealand, PNG, Country NSW and other cities in action, week after week in State Cup matches. Even Ipswich or Redcliffe. We've got to give them all a signal that we're looking at expansion.”

Mr Beattie said this broadcast cycle would give potential clubs the opportunity to see how serious they were about becoming part of the NRL.

"And, if one or two of them demonstrate they will benefit the NRL, can we look at including them in the next cycle?”
When asked how he felt about the strength of CQ's bid in light of Mr Beattie's comments, Mr Murphy was extremely upbeat and positive.

"With the next TV deal due to come around again in 2022 the CQ NRL did need to be ready to go at any time,” Mr Murphy said.

"Business and strategic plans are constantly updated with CQ's most current data and we will be ready to put our case to the new Commission once it is in place.

"I accept we have a bit of work going forward again but I am very optimistic and I wouldn't have spent the money and time otherwise.”

He said the CQ bid had merit given that the population of the CQ region was slightly bigger than the population of Townsville.

"CQ deserves it, it's rugby league heartland, we have a lot of talent we want to entice back to the area,” Mr Murphy said.

"As promised by both the Labour Party and the LNP when CQ is awarded an NRL license we will get our Convention Centre and Stadium purpose built for the CQ region in accordance with the results from the Federally funded feasibility study carried out by international stadia design company, Populous.

"It's been a long journey but it is now more important than ever for the bid to remain focussed on the prize and for all of CQ to stay positive and keep supporting the bid.”

Mr Murphy, who was currently overseas, indicated a willingness to talk further with Mr Beattie.

"I haven't spoken to him but I certainly will be following these comments up with him once he's in the chair,” he said.

https://www.themorningbulletin.com....Rockhampton+Morning+Bulletin&utm_medium=email

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Brisbane 2 and Perth = no brainier

I'd even try and break that game away from ch 9 and sell it to ch 10 .. as a one off game ..

Maybe Sunday night. . 8pm slot or something

taipan

Referee
Nah let's keep it East Coast ,where the Pacific is specific.Brisbane 2 and CQ.

LESStar58

Referee
Hopefully Beattie has more balls than his predecessors and subordianates on this issue and many others.

taipan

Referee
Hopefully Beattie has more balls than his predecessors and subordianates on this issue and many others.

Geez that wouldn't be hard.Spending years in the rough and ready sh*thouse that is politics,should fully equip one to handle opponents.
I'm more optimistic with Beattie,than the battalion of gimps we've had running or ruining (take your pick),the game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't think CQ is a good idea for NRL. They are perfect for QLD Cup. The NRL has limited spaces and they are better used to spread the game to Adelaide and Perth and to give us a Brisbane Derby.

Spaces wasted on CQ or even Gosford for that matter don't do much in terms of spreading the game to new large city markets. But, they are perfect at State League level.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
I think the NRL should invest in a team somewhere else in NZ that has strategic links with the pacific! This would get shouted down by many but it is visionary and could change the game on many levels

axl rose

Bench
Any notion that an expansion QLD team would not be playing out of Suncorp every home game is farcical. The Heat have done well to attract crowds in summer but the Soccer and other VFL mob, who were apparently relevant once, are a basket case. Brisbane has been ready for a 2nd team for 20 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts