What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-league v Rugby League

Giallorosso

Juniors
Now I'm a fan of both football and rugby league but does anyone think that one day football will eventually overtake rugby league and become the number two football code in Australia?

Especially if the A-league becomes a winter sport which it will have to eventually to fit in with Asia and the Asian Football Confederation.

posh

Juniors
nope, i dont think that will happen for at least 20 years. i bet all the kids would rather watch the epl highlights wearing chelsea shirts on sports tonight, then see some home grown hero's at their local ground. the real question is why do so many kids play football in little-leageus, then decided at high school to start playing other codes e.g. afl, league, union. afa should stop this trend becoming a fixture of young football players

perth sharkie

Juniors
I can't see that happening, because the A-League will probably always be inferior to the likes of the EPL, Serie A and the Primera Liga meaning that we'll always lose talent to foreign leagues.

However, in some parts of the country, like Western Australia, football has over taken rugby league, which was once the number two football code but is now the least popular here (behind AFL, rugby union and football). In SA football is also more popular than rugby league.

bazza

Immortal
Giallorosso said:
Especially if the A-league becomes a winter sport which it will have to eventually to fit in with Asia and the Asian Football Confederation.

Is that true?
Most Asian countries are in the Northern Hemisphere or tropics so I guess they play during our summer anyway

Personally I can't wait for the season to start. I was involved early with the Mariners but they did a nice job on a few of us. So we are all now Sydney FC fans and cannot wait for it to start having got a taste of it at Central Coast.

Giallorosso

Juniors
If we (Australia) can get to the world cup then football will really take off in Australia but at the moment thats a big if!!!

Roll on Asia 2007!!!!

Football will never overtake league as the number 2 game but there is a market for both codes in this country. It is very interesting but I coach two teams of kids an Under 10's and 16's. The 10's all talk about the NRL and the 16's hate the NRL and all talk about EPL and Serie A. I am blessed I have a few intelligent Italians in my side 3 of em go for Inter. There is the team clown he is the one that supports Juventus.

N.Hindmarsh_Fan

Juniors
I think that Rugby Leauge will grow in the next 10 years and become a dominant force both in ratings (which it already is) and attendance. Super league was to blame for Rugby leagues decline but it is on the way up. Many people were disheartened with merges and clubs being thrown out of the comp. Kids are growing up these days with out superleague in their memory banks and this means that once this segment of people are old enough to drive and get to the games on their own etc etc, you will find that crowd averages will be on the increase.

But in saying that, I love soccer, it will be good when A League comes to town but it will depend on how much money our top players earn that will make or break the A League. Without proper funding our top players will be poached by overseas teams and it will be a second rate comp.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
perth sharkie said:
I can't see that happening, because the A-League will probably always be inferior to the likes of the EPL, Serie A and the Primera Liga meaning that we'll always lose talent to foreign leagues.

I would have to say you are probably spot on - unfortunately :( I think the move to Asia is a great idea as it should increase the quality of our national team. This is very much like Tasmania being able to compete against all the other states in the cricket. That is, becuase they are always playing good sides, they have the experience and are able to raise their game to compete with the bigger states.

watto

Juniors
Honestly I doubt it will ever take the reign as number 1 here, however if this was 10 years ago and the super league was tearing it apart I would say then possibly. But this wont happen again.
I think there is enough marketing opportunities out there for both and the crowds that go to watch NRL may go out to watch Soccer. This will also depend on as mentioned above the standards of our league and the calibre of the players in it. Hopefully we can develop some homegrown drawcards who can attract peoples attention like the name Dwight Yorke and Teddy Sheringham.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
Personally I can't wait for the season to start. I was involved early with the Mariners but they did a nice job on a few of us. So we are all now Sydney FC fans and cannot wait for it to start having got a taste of it at Central Coast.

What happened at the Mariners?

Tidus_Raider said:
What happened at the Mariners?

The people that started the club off are now being moved on by the people that were asked in to management positions. It looks like it is heading to court. Can't really say anything more here.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
The people that started the club off are now being moved on by the people that were asked in to management positions. It looks like it is heading to court. Can't really say anything more here.

Like it's always been with soccer in this country. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. When will the politics be taken out of the game...