What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Wild Hypothetical

With 1 spot left in our top 30, you had a choice between Walmsley and McGillvary.. Who do you pick?

• Alex Walmsley

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Jermaine McGillvary

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Jermaine McGillvary and Alex Walmsley tempted by NRL switch
By PA Sport
skysports-rugby-league-jermaine-mcgillvary-england_4150720.jpg

Jermaine McGillvary has been linked with a move to Wayne Bennett's Brisbane Broncos
Two of England's World Cup heroes admit they are being tempted to try their luck in the NRL.

St Helens prop Alex Walmsley, who burst onto the international scene in impressive fashion in 2017, is out of contract with his Super League club this year and says "it's now or never" as he weighs up his options.

And Huddersfield winger Jermaine McGillvary, whose devastating running during the World Cup earned him a place in the World XIII, concedes his experience in Australia has forced a major rethink on his previous disinterest in playing in the NRL.

QCdjB5HwFOTaWQ8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

McGillvary, whose name was everyone's lips during England's run to the World Cup final after scoring seven tries in five matches, has been linked with a move to England coach Wayne Bennett's Brisbane Broncos.

He has yet to field any interest from Australia and still has three years left on his contract with the Giants but admits his head has been turned.

"It was the best time of my life, I absolutely loved it," the Huddersfield-born winger said.

skysports-jermaine-mcgillvary-england-australia_4139523.jpg

McGillvary, 29, admits his age could count against him
"I'm a home bird, I don't really like travelling but going to Australia and being out of my comfort zone changed my perspective on everything.

"I always said Australia was too far but actually being there and experiencing the life, it made feel I could do that and I'd really enjoy it. And the kids and the family would enjoy it.

"I've not heard from anyone but, if an opportunity did arise I would definitely look at it seriously."

McGillvary, who is 29, admits his age could count against him but he insists he has plenty of years left in him after arriving late to rugby league.

"I still feel like I'm in my mid-20s because I was a late starter," he said. "I made my debut when I was 22.

"I haven't gone through all the tough pre-seasons and had all the operations that the other boys have had over the years. I feel in really good shape."

Drakon

Juniors
As much as I think Walmsley could be a good acquisition, we need firepower in the backs and who better than McGillvary! Id take Jermaine as first choice. He'd already looks good in Red and white for England so would look better in the Red V.

Crush

Coach
McGillvary on a 1 year deal. He's 29 so I wouldn't want to sign him longterm. He could be our Martin Offiah of 1991. Play one season, score a bunch of tries, then move on.

Old Timer

Coach
Neither of them
So called quick solutions pffff.
All this pinning of our hopes on unproven NRL players actually is a real piss off and it is about time everyone got on the correct team bus and forgot these delusional outbursts.
FFS there is almost a full team of up and comers to be settled into long term 1st grade careers at our club
Garrick, Lomax, Masters, Field, Dufty, Masters, Sailor, Host, Sele, Kerr, Lawrie, Robson ( and probably a few I haven't mentioned)
and people want to buy pensioners.
Laughable

possm

Coach
As much as I think Walmsley could be a good acquisition, we need firepower in the backs and who better than McGillvary! Id take Jermaine as first choice. He'd already looks good in Red and white for England so would look better in the Red V.
Walmsley's addition to our forward pack would complete what could only be described to be one of the best packs in the world. And what makes this even more valuable, is the young forwards that we would have to cover for rep and injury.

I really believe that that 2018 will be the break-out year for prospective young backs at the Dragons. 2018 will see players like Dufty, Lomax, Field, Herbert, Garrett, and a host of others show there speed and skills in either reserve grade or first grade. I'd say the last thing we would need is to buy an expensive winger only to let go a good talented young junior. By the end of season 2018, we will have a much better idea of the capacity of our young backs..

kit66

Bench
Walmsley's addition to our forward pack would complete what could only be described to be one of the best packs in the world. And what makes this even more valuable, is the young forwards that we would have to cover for rep and injury.

I really believe that that 2018 will be the break-out year for prospective young backs at the Dragons. 2018 will see players like Dufty, Lomax, Field, Herbert, Garrett, and a host of others show there speed and skills in either reserve grade or first grade. I'd say the last thing we would need is to buy an expensive winger only to let go a good talented young junior. By the end of season 2018, we will have a much better idea of the capacity of our young backs..

Ah possm, ever the voice of reason. Of course you're right, the addition of a big bopper on the bench would serve us better than yet another selection headache in our backline. With McGillvray though ( hypothetically ) I was thinking of the spectacle and pure entertainment value like Offiah or Hanley, bums on seats and all.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Interesting in the recent Dragons video of the Super League game at WIN Stadium. Millard I think gave a clue that they would be watching with interest of the players. To me it seemed that a position for an outside back was still a possibility.

If he was looking at McGillvray, then no thanks. We have more than enough talent that needs to be tried this year. I really believe if McWrecker chooses the right set of backs ( those that can attack) then we will take the pressure off our forwards and also tire the opposition.

Duffy
McDonald
Lafai
Mann
Lomax
Widdop
Hunt.

And we need to find a forward that can play hooker for 15-20 minutes. Ideally, that would be Sele as he also a great defender.

Mary, you have my permission to copy and paste the above team list for Round 1. Let me know if you also want my forwards and reserves list. Happy to supply for no cost.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I know it is hypothetical but neither will come to the dragons in 2018 McGillivray plays for Huddersfield and they're not making the trip out here so we don't get to see him in a trial same with Walmsley.
The top 30 vacancy I believe will be filled from within unless someone really is on the outer with their current Club. I think millward will possibly look at the UK trial with the view to 2019 but either Masters or Sailor will be more likely promoted in my opinion just to act as cover.

possm

Coach
I wouldn't discount the possibility of one or two young backs being traded with an ESL Club on a two year deal for a player wanting a stint in Australia.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Neither of them
All this pinning of our hopes on unproven NRL players actually is a real piss off and it is about time everyone got on the correct team bus and forgot these delusional outbursts.
FFS there is almost a full team of up and comers to be settled into long term 1st grade careers at our club
Garrick, Lomax, Masters, Field, Dufty, Masters, Sailor, Host, Sele, Kerr, Lawrie, Robson ( and probably a few I haven't mentioned)
Laughable

With all due respect OT, and believe me... There is A LOT of respect here from me,

You've sort of contradicted yourself here. You say in one breath that you're sick of this idea of unproven NRL players coming to our club... And in the next breath you want to pin our hopes on juniors who are unproven in the NRL as well.

I'm not fussed about Walmsley, i'll leave that obsession to Possm. But McGillvary might be a nice investment for a year, because we all know that Mary isn't going to pick Lomax or Garrick on the wing.
He was actually one of the best players in the WC. He tore the Australian team apart a few times, and that is at the highest level.
Sure, he could turn out to be an Akuila Uate circa 2015... Or... He could turn out to be a revelation for a year. At the right price, it might be worth a look? It will also put pressure on those younger guys to step up their game to push for selection. Let's not forget, guys like Marsters and Lomax are barely 18.

BennyV

Referee
With all due respect OT, and believe me... There is A LOT of respect here from me,

You've sort of contradicted yourself here. You say in one breath that you're sick of this idea of unproven NRL players coming to our club... And in the next breath you want to pin our hopes on juniors who are unproven in the NRL as well.

I'm not fussed about Walmsley, i'll leave that obsession to Possm. But McGillvary might be a nice investment for a year, because we all know that Mary isn't going to pick Lomax or Garrick on the wing.
He was actually one of the best players in the WC. He tore the Australian team apart a few times, and that is at the highest level.
Sure, he could turn out to be an Akuila Uate circa 2015... Or... He could turn out to be a revelation for a year. At the right price, it might be worth a look? It will also put pressure on those younger guys to step up their game to push for selection. Let's not forget, guys like Marsters and Lomax are barely 18.
I think OT's point was that if we are going to throw some players into our squad that show loads of potential but are so far unproven in the NRL, let's go with the ones already on our books. I'd rather let the likes of Herbert, Garrick and Lomax have a crack out wide than bring McGilvary in.

If we are going to get someone form the England squad, I'd prefer the guy holding the clipboard.

Life's Good

Coach
I’d go neither simply because our forward stocks are rising all the time & we have a crop of young outside backs coming through that have more upside and age on their side.
If our young outside backs fail to fire we can then go to market for tried & tested NRL ready players eg. Mansour, Montoya.

Old Timer

Coach

If a player was the difference to winning a premiership as was the case with Gasnier in 2010 then by all means it is a signing worth making..
We are not in a position to win a premiership this season and neither of these 2 players fits the above criteria so picking up a player for a 1 year stint can only be at the expense of someone who needs to be blooded and has a strategic long term value to us.
So getting either is not a correct philosophy in my opinion albeit we might be just that bit more competitive or attractive for 1 year.

Drakon

Juniors
Neither of them
Laughable
Who is this Masters character many talk about? He's so good Old Timer mentions him twice.

Now Marsters - that guy - isn't ready for first grade yet. Promising but not ready. He won't play firsts this year.

Old Timer

Coach
Who is this Masters character many talk about? He's so good Old Timer mentions him twice.

Now Marsters - that guy - isn't ready for first grade yet. Promising but not ready. He won't play firsts this year.
Apologies for the spelling error.
He might not be ready this year but if he has potential and needs blooding during the year heading towards next year and beyond, you can't do it with an older aged, ex ESL, 1 year contract player holding down that spot.
If you can't win the comp this year why hinder the progress of players you need to be firing at NRL level in 2020 and on.
Many of these youngsters have a couple of years left on their contracts with us and in that time we have to learn enough about them to see if they are keepers.

Drakon

Juniors
Apologies for the spelling error.
He might not be ready this year but if he has potential and needs blooding during the year heading towards next year and beyond, you can't do it with an older aged, ex ESL, 1 year contract player holding down that spot.
If you can't win the comp this year why hinder the progress of players you need to be firing at NRL level in 2020 and on.
Many of these youngsters have a couple of years left on their contracts with us and in that time we have to learn enough about them to see if they are keepers.
Sheez. It was only a light hearted hypothetical by TomRedVRiver. Who would you prefer AW or JM?!
And I don't believe he mentioned a one year contract. I doubt JM would come to us anyway. Bennett would have the inside running on snaring him. And I doubt he'd sign a one year contract anyway. More like 2 year minimum. And for the record, he'd run rings around Nene.