What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods - Cronulla Shark

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Hopefully Aaron 'woodsy' Woods departure to the sharks gives more game time to the bulldogs star signing Clay f**king Priest.

McLovin

Staff member
Well well well.. What a supreme debut in the black, white, and blue. Almost flawless display.

40 minutes
16 runs
140+ meters
70+ post contact meters
20 tackles (0 missed)
an offload directly leading to a try

No doubt the death riders will point out his one mistake which was a ptb penalty. Complete bogus penalty as upon replay, he did in fact play it with his foot. Though, I don't want to take the shine off Woodsies performance by talking about the hometown refereeing tonight.

Life's Good

Coach
Well well well.. What a supreme debut in the black, white, and blue. Almost flawless display.

40 minutes
16 runs
140+ meters
70+ post contact meters
20 tackles (0 missed)

No doubt the death riders will point out his one mistake which was a ptb penalty. Complete bogus penalty as upon replay, he did in fact play it with his foot. Though, I don't want to take the shine off Woodsies performance by talking about the hometown refereeing tonight.

I think you’ve just taken the shine off your old fella with that post.

Last edited:

Tiger5150

Bench

40 minutes
16 runs
140+ meters
70+ post contact meters
20 tackles (0 missed)

So less than 10m a run then. Sounds like Woodsy.

Woodsy will get you 100 plus every game. The softest metres in RL history but stats dont lie do they? Woodsys career is built on stats.

Cronulla is a good fit for him because in that pack, his softness will go unnoticed.

McLovin

Staff member

Woodsy will get you 100 plus every game. The softest metres in RL history but stats dont lie do they? Woodsys career is built on stats.

Cronulla is a good fit for him because in that pack, his softness will go unnoticed.

I keep hearing about a Woods being soft but just didn't see it last night. Can you elaborate?

wibble

Bench
If he was our marquee signing I’d be worried.
As a benchie for cheap and if he can get his shit together I reckon it’s a good addition.
Let’s not forget in the past the sharks have signed
Tim Smith
Tony Williams
Darren Albert
Trent Barrett
Mat Johns
And who could forget the great Todd Carney

In comparison this is the signing of the decade.

To be fair we've also signed Fifita, Segeyaro, Barba, Bird, Graham, Lewis, Maloney, Ennis and Prior in recent times, and they turned out ok. Moylan and Dugan are still a bit early to judge.

Woods is probably ahead of any from your list (except Carney, who was great on the field, for the most part) and if he gets to near the level of any from mine I'll be happy.

I agree, as marquee it would be a bad deal, as a bench prop signing I'm pretty happy.

wibble

Bench

Yep, our soft pack will be quaking in their boots when they face your monstrous pack....

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So we sign a player who just last year was playing for Australia, we get him at a discount and some else helping to pay, and people think we made a bad call?

Go figure, never change LU.

Card Shark

Immortal
40 minutes
16 runs
140+ meters
70+ post contact meters
20 tackles (0 missed)
an offload directly leading to a try.

Those are good numbers.

Wasn’t flash but didn’t need to be, did his job perfectly.

He will thrive under Flanno.

Tiger5150

Bench
Yep, our soft pack will be quaking in their boots when they face your monstrous pack....

Mate....re-read what I said. Cronulla have an awesome, incredible pack. That is why its a great fit for Woods because his softness will not stand out like it did at Tigers and Bulldogs where they relied on him

Tiger5150

Bench
I keep hearing about a Woods being soft but just didn't see it last night. Can you elaborate?

Sure. Aaron Woods will get you 100m plus EVERY game. His stats are always good but each run is soft, never a hard hit up, usually backing into the defence, takes an hour to finish the tackle, often lands on his back.

It will not be as noticeable or as critical in Sharks pack because they have an awesome pack and he will go unnoticed.

wibble

Bench
Mate....re-read what I said. Cronulla have an awesome, incredible pack. That is why its a great fit for Woods because his softness will not stand out like it did at Tigers and Bulldogs where they relied on him

Sorry, that is not how it reads to me, but I get what you are saying now.

I agree his style is not aggressive, and it will be masked with our pack, and his main attribute (offloading, especially in heavy traffic) will add something we need.

I actually don't care if people think he was a bad acquisition or if they don't rate our team.

And I like the Tigers, and most their fans on these forums are good value.

I usually don't bite when baited by fans of other teams as threads can devolve into slanging matches, which is painful for anyone else to wade through and wrecks the sensible contributions of others.

But I got caught up with a few (? maybe just one?) Tigers fans who seemed to be attacking Sharks fans and the Sharks team in this thread. Not that it matters. But the Tigers are not doing so much better than the Sharks that Tigers fans really can feel smug about the Shark's decisions. I was trying to express this, but it was a wasted effort as it seems there is only one Tiger's fan slinging crap and they don't know what salty means.

In reality, both our teams are having inconsistent seasons, showing some good signs, but need to improve. Both are good defensively and need more attack.

I'm hoping Woods helps with his offloads as a different point if attack. He is a better threat than Seumanafagai so he improves our squad.

Your attack is stilted from dummy half and Farah should help with that. He never would have been a problem to the culture or threat to the coach as he seemed to be, if Cleary was the coach at the time, so it is good to see him come home.

Hopefully both teams will improve and that will be enough to keep the Broncos out of the 8!

McLovin

Staff member
Sure. Aaron Woods will get you 100m plus EVERY game. His stats are always good but each run is soft, never a hard hit up, usually backing into the defence, takes an hour to finish the tackle, often lands on his back.

It will not be as noticeable or as critical in Sharks pack because they have an awesome pack and he will go unnoticed.

His play the ball speed was 3.11 seconds, the second fastest of all our players with only James Segeyaro being faster. Landing on his back or drawing in 3-4 defenders each time does not directly affect his PTB speed, which was fantastic. The one time he did back into the defence, he gave a magical offload to Moylan and the Sharks scored directly off it.

For comparison, Andrew Fifita averaged 7.9m/run, Dylan Napa averaged 8m/run, James Graham averaged 8.25m/run. All noted hardmen. Meanwhile, Aaron Woods averaged 8.3m/run. Not bad for a 'soft' runner.

Myth busted.