What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Clune

BLM01

First Grade
I would tend to agree with you that if a player hasn't made it by 24, they probably never will. In saying that I also believe that there are many players who for one reason or another could have made it, but didn't whether that be injuries, having others ahead of them who have cemented their spots, work, study, chasing women and partying instead of focusing on footy. Cody Walker is another who comes to mind. I thought if he hadn't made it by 25 he never would, but when he finally got the chance, he proved he was up to NRL.
Hmm..I see Cody walker as much more complete NRL footballer.
But never say never..I suppose

I would love to see Clune get a crack at the five-eighth spot in 2020. He looked good in CC and I reckon he can make the step up. He's a good organiser, a great passer and reads the game well.
I think a backline of 7 Hunt 6 Clune 5 Saab 4 Lafai 3 Lomax 2 Dufty 1 Norman is about as good as we can muster.

denis preston

First Grade
I would love to see Clune get a crack at the five-eighth spot in 2020. He looked good in CC and I reckon he can make the step up. He's a good organiser, a great passer and reads the game well.
I think a backline of 7 Hunt 6 Clune 5 Saab 4 Lafai 3 Lomax 2 Dufty 1 Norman is about as good as we can muster.

Sorry , just my opinion but those massive NRL bodies running at him in attack & defence and giving him no space tells me his little body just wont cut it. Hope i'm wrong but i doubt it.

SaintPauli

Juniors
When push comes to shove why study that long and have potentially a 200k a year job for the REST of his working life to play NRL at 120k and risk brain damage.? I think he knows this and is just lifting his profile ( to help his contacts for his profession ) and dream of playing NRL even if it is only a couple of games. Cant see him risking it all and go 100% in defense considering what lays ahead in his career.It;s a hell of a fall back position !
I get your point. Its a fine line between success and failure in the nrl and true many potential stars never really get there. Once he tries first grade Adam Clune will notice the difference on both mental and physical toughness. I hope he handles it and makes it with flying colors and big $.

possm

Coach
In my opinion our team is out of balance at the moment when it comes to salary cap. We are paying big bucks for Hunt as our halfback when I'd say Norman is a better first receiver and game manager. In addition we have players like Clune, Sailor and Dufty that seem to be more suited to a five-eighth position. We also have other youngsters such as Sullivan coming through the ranks that surely look likely first grade quality.

For some reason we signed Dufty long term when it really was not nessary; he had already proved to be too small for the fullback position and has not been tried in the halves. Sailor is also too small for the fullback position but remains unsigned for 2020.

I'd rather see the Club move Hunt on to say Brisbane and slot the likes of Dufty or Clune at five-eighth within Norman moving to halfback. The salary cap saved could be put to good use elswhere i.e. signing a Mitchell or Xerri to bolster our backline.

Millward has really made a mess of our roster when it comes to our backline!

denis preston

First Grade
In my opinion our team is out of balance at the moment when it comes to salary cap. We are paying big bucks for Hunt as our halfback when I'd say Norman is a better first receiver and game manager. In addition we have players like Clune, Sailor and Dufty that seem to be more suited to a five-eighth position. We also have other youngsters such as Sullivan coming through the ranks that surely look likely first grade quality.

For some reason we signed Dufty long term when it really was not nessary; he had already proved to be too small for the fullback position and has not been tried in the halves. Sailor is also too small for the fullback position but remains unsigned for 2020.

I'd rather see the Club move Hunt on to say Brisbane and slot the likes of Dufty or Clune at five-eighth within Norman moving to halfback. The salary cap saved could be put to good use elswhere i.e. signing a Mitchell or Xerri to bolster our backline.

You saying Millward made a mess of the cap and then advocate playing Dufty in the halves for the first time in his senior career !

possm

Coach
You saying Millward made a mess of the cap and then advocate playing Dufty in the halves for the first time in his senior career !
Yes I have said many times previously that I believe Dufty would make a better five-eighth than fullback. He has a speed to burn, a good passing game and could be assisted in defence.

Dufty played in the halves for most of his junior career.

Hunt has been very disappointing for me and takes up a big chunck of our salary cap. To me his recruitment has not turned out well. I would rather put Norman as halfback and promote Clune, Dufty or Sailor to five eighth.

We could use the salary cap to sign Mitchell or Xeeri>

BLM01

First Grade

To be announced shortly. Sailor has resigned...bloody Millward
Newsflash...Norman is no fullback
geez Possm make up your mind...who you want to play where...first you say first receiver in the halves..now Norman fullback?...and Lomax..fullback..no Hunt?
Then who are our ready made 6 & 7 for 1st grade...any idea?

possm

Coach
To be announced shortly. Sailor has resigned...bloody Millward
Newsflash...Norman is no fullback
geez Possm make up your mind...who you want to play where...first you say first receiver in the halves..now Norman fullback?...and Lomax..fullback..no Hunt?
Then who are our ready made 6 & 7 for 1st grade...any idea?
I said:
I'd rather see the Club move Hunt on to say Brisbane and slot the likes of Dufty or Clune at five-eighth within Norman moving to halfback. The salary cap saved could be put to good use elsewhere i.e. signing a Mitchell or Xerri to bolster our backline.

BLM01

First Grade
I said:
I'd rather see the Club move Hunt on to say Brisbane and slot the likes of Dufty or Clune at five-eighth within Norman moving to halfback. The salary cap saved could be put to good use elsewhere i.e. signing a Mitchell or Xerri to bolster our backline.
Dont yell..my mistake. I am sure you said fullback originally but now i see obviously :confused: you must not have or certainly did not edit your original comments

Last edited:

Kylez3

Juniors
I would tend to agree with you that if a player hasn't made it by 24, they probably never will. In saying that I also believe that there are many players who for one reason or another could have made it, but didn't whether that be injuries, having others ahead of them who have cemented their spots, work, study, chasing women and partying instead of focusing on footy. Cody Walker is another who comes to mind. I thought if he hadn't made it by 25 he never would, but when he finally got the chance, he proved he was up to NRL.

I like the Cody Walker comparison. I feel that they're a similar type of player. Both have the style to flourish behind a dominant forward pack, Walker has a superior running game, but Clune possesses an elite passing game.

Hopefully he adds some size to his frame in the off season.

possm

Coach
Dufty played in the halves during his junior days. His body shape is more suited to a 6 or 7 role. Dufty has demonstrated he is not a good fullback.

Millward extended Dufty's contract even though he had some skill shortages that are required of a first grade fullback.

As it turns out, I would have rather we purchase Scott Drinkwater than extended Duty and Pereira.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Clune handled it better than I expected, smashed a few blokes too. He could easily handle FG I reckon. I know it was only nines but the physicality didn't bother him at all. I think after watching him and Sullivan it is very clear Clune is well ahead of Sullivan at this stage especially in defence. Id be more than confident of him backing up in case of injury. Sullivan just needs a good season or two playing against men while working in the gym and he will ready.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Dufty played in the halves during his junior days. His body shape is more suited to a 6 or 7 role. Dufty has demonstrated he is not a good fullback.

Millward extended Dufty's contract even though he had some skill shortages that are required of a first grade fullback.

As it turns out, I would have rather we purchase Scott Drinkwater than extended Duty and Pereira.
We probably tried but he is looking at a possible backline of;
Holmes
Fidow
Morgan
Marsters
Feldt
Drinkwater
Clifford
Add in JT, Robson and Hess to name a few, as well as a premiership winning dwarf and im not sure our team is looking too tempting.

Latest posts