What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL, Aerial Pingpong and Cross-country netball

redvscotty

First Grade
If I wanted to go watch AFL, I'd go and throw a chip into a flock of seagulls at the beach. It's cheaper, I can take my own booze and the fish and chips are better.

AFL should be abolished from the planet and the history books. A blight on the country that is Australia.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Eh, northern England/PNG and the bits and pieces of league elsewhere around the world are a bit irrelevant to the debate because it's more about perception than raw numbers. Perception-wise, and rightly or wrongly, league is Australian football's little brother.

I mean technically, if you add up the numbers rugby union is probably bigger than both - but neither code has much animosity towards it because perception-wise they're not serious competitors.

sorry but thats just an opinion with nothing to back it up

perception wise just seems to be your perception,

I'm not anti AFL as I watch it every weekend and I dont buy into any this one code versus the other as I follow all the major codes but to suggest that AFL is bigger than League when league is played in alot of countries outside Australia is again, just your perception

Caesar

Juniors
sorry but thats just an opinion with nothing to back it up

perception wise just seems to be your perception,

I'm not anti AFL as I watch it every weekend and I dont buy into any this one code versus the other as I follow all the major codes but to suggest that AFL is bigger than League when league is played in alot of countries outside Australia is again, just your perception
It's the perception of everyone in Australia. Australian football pulls bigger crowds to more clubs in more cities in more states. More kids play it than league. The brand is worth more. The fact that perhaps a few more people play league overseas doesn't affect the mentality of the Australian sports fan (including league fans), who consciously or subconsciously acknowledges this size superiority.

League is a provincial game with a provincial mentality, which is why it hates AFL - it looms big and popular from 'outside'. Same goes for the AFL on a wider scale - it is secure and comfortable as top dog in Australia, but soccer looms from 'outside'. Again, the provincial mentality.

I'm not saying that league is threatened by Australian football, or Australian football is threatened by soccer. They're not really, both are secure within their turf. But you do not have to feel seriously threatened by something foreign to dislike it. The hatred is just a manifestation of Othering. Anything that is foreign can constitute the Other, but it's magnified when the Other is perceived to be large and dominant. It is why league fans fixate on AFL more than vice versa, even though it goes in both directions.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
thats just a whole lot of unsubstantiated opinionated dribble

you need to back up any argument with facts that can be sourced if you want serious debate

Caesar said:
It's the perception of everyone in Australia.

I almost stopped reading there, you don't represent the entire Australian population.

Caesar

Juniors
thats just a whole lot of unsubstantiated opinionated dribble

you need to back up any argument with facts that can be sourced if you want serious debate
Look no further than your own forum. Run a search for bigfooty.com, then go across to BigFooty and run a search for leagueunlimited.com. See which forum talks about the other more.

I almost stopped reading there, you don't represent the entire Australian population.
Fair dinkum. I understand you're the Admin here and thus more than a little one-eyed, but I'd have thought that even so you could accept self-evident facts. If Australian football isn't generally perceived as the bigger game, why does every aspect of the AFL's value - TV rights, sponsorship rates, you name it - dwarf the NRL?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Look no further than your own forum. Run a search for bigfooty.com, then go across to BigFooty and run a search for leagueunlimited.com. See which forum talks about the other more.

and if I did, wtf would that achieve ?

Fair dinkum. I understand you're the Admin here and thus more than a little one-eyed, but I'd have thought that even so you could accept self-evident facts. If Australian football isn't generally perceived as the bigger game, why does every aspect of the AFL's value - TV rights, sponsorship rates, you name it - dwarf the NRL?

it doesn't, like I said you need to start backing up your allegations

and unlike you, I am not one eyed

djst

Juniors
To be honest.
All the true key indicators,memberships,crowds ,sponsorships and $$$$$$$$$ point to one code being miles in front of the other.

That code being the AFL.

Some may not like that,But at this point in time, that is the state of play.

Caesar

Juniors
and if I did, wtf would that achieve ?
Merely indicative of the central point in the OP - that league fans obsess more over Australian football than vice versa.

it doesn't, like I said you need to start backing up your allegations
Turn it up. Now you're just being obtuse. Go compare the sponsorship rate cards for the top teams in each comp, then give yourself an uppercut.

and unlike you, I am not one eyed
Mate, I care not a jot for Australian football and these days I only barely care about league. But I do live in the real world, seemingly unlike yourself and a few other posters here.

AuckMel

Bench

Rugby league is bigger, much bigger, in a worldy sense.

Kenny Powers

Juniors
Rugby league is bigger, much bigger, in a worldy sense.

and Soccer is bigger than League.

Aussie Rules is the number 1 code in Australia but everyone has the right to live in denial and a high percentage of League fans choose that option.
There is no point in pissing in their weetbix with facts.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I like it a bit, I support West Coast. However, I don't like this one code versus others bullcrap.

I've never really understood the code wars. Some people hang shit on AFL, yet they'll watch Football (Soccer), Basketball or NFL. Whats the difference, whats makes some OK to watch and others not OK ?

I dont get it.

Bootstudder

Juniors
I was raised in WA & my old man & one of his brothers played RL there in the 60's & 70's, 2 of his other brothers played WAFL so for me I follow both.
Since moving to NSW, I now lean more towards league as it more in your face where I am.

Using the derogatory terms AFL etc just makes you look like an idiot in my book.

Aegil

Juniors
Clearly RL is better!!!!!!! AFL LOL

Not sure if serious.

This is not about one sport being "better" than the other, as that is purely subjective. This is about... well, comments like yours. Is it fear? Is it just because you're geniused? Is it that all your mates say it so you do? etc

adamkungl

Immortal
But I don't go around in my spare time and bad mouth RL, spouting insults at fingers in the bum, and calling it "thugby". I don't know any AFL supporter doing this.

RL just looks likes you need to be big, lack a neck, and run into people. I honestly can't see much skill at all in this.
You don't do it OR know anyone that does it, yet you quote very common insults aimed at RL from Victorians?

fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

natas55

Juniors
I've never really understood the code wars. Some people hang shit on AFL, yet they'll watch Football (Soccer), Basketball or NFL. Whats the difference, whats makes some OK to watch and others not OK ?

I dont get it.

because all the above metioned sports have one key thing in common, ball control

AFL is just too painful to watch if you have grown up on watching sport that have this key ingredient , its just that plain and simple for most people

AFL =:crazy:

haha

Juniors
I prefer to watch full contact sports like league, NFL, boxing and to a lesser extent union.
I've never been able to get into semi contact sports like AFL, basketball and soccer.