What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL-bound Hunt demands rep payments

typicalfan

Coach
They are the rules though, if he wanted his rep payments he needed to stay in the game. It was his decision to move on.

mickdo

Coach
imagine in your current job they set a clause syaing they'll take half your bonuses for work you've done and withold them if you go to another company....

Such agreements are not unusual across many different industries, and I have had one myself

Yeah they do, but they don't withhold that money if a player goes to another code/employer. The Wallabies and the Australian cricket team get money for each rep game they play. That money isn't taken away from them if they don't want to play the game anymore.

Code war battle? :lol: f**k, if the NRL actually paid it's players what they are worth then they wouldn't need these sort of draconian measures.

Yeah, we could overpay every decent player and end up like your broke-arsed ARU.

Yep, they're about f**ked. The 2003 money hasn't been replaced.

Ask them when the next SANZAR TV contract is up?

Ask them when the next Pot 'o' gold RWC will be held in Australia?

You do know that they weren't interested because the IRB want money from the winner don't you?

It's clear to everyone that Union needs a RWC here urgently, yet the next possible time is what, 2023? It couldn't keep the ARC, attendances and down, ratings are shot, all their high profile players are just about gone...

Hell, Union will quite possibly be back to amateur in Australia well before 2023...

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Now, back on topic. Do the ARL have a leg to stand on?

the way the ARL/NRL are run who knows if they've actually legally looked into what they planned....

i hope gasnier didnt get any money last year...

I also wonder whetehr riolo realsied there was a loyalty fund in the first place....

Canard

Immortal
I would speculate that these payments are at the discretion of the ARL, and don't come under the banner of "contractually obliged".

Evidence of the ARU's financial insecurity comes in the form of them lobbying SANZAR for another club in the Super 58, there is no demand for the team from a crowd attendance, tv ratings or media perspective. But getting another team means they get a larger slice of the TV rights pie.

So this team, which will be based in Melbourne, despite the current charade in the media about a "tendering" process has been developed purely for $$ and TV rights.

Thomas

First Grade
I would speculate that these payments are at the discretion of the ARL, and don't come under the banner of "contractually obliged".

As I said, this could be very interesting. Especially considering Carr doesn't seem to know what the clause says himself.

Brutus

Referee
Yep, they're about f**ked. The 2003 money hasn't been replaced.

Ask them when the next SANZAR TV contract is up?

Ask them when the next Pot 'o' gold RWC will be held in Australia?

You do know that they weren't interested because the IRB want money from the winner don't you?

It's clear to everyone that Union needs a RWC here urgently, yet the next possible time is what, 2023? It couldn't keep the ARC, attendances and down, ratings are shot, all their high profile players are just about gone...

Hell, Union will quite possibly be back to amateur in Australia well before 2023...

Maybe they could schedule more QLD Reds v Japan games at Ballymore to boost the coffers:lol:

Garts

Bench
Such agreements are not unusual across many different industries, and I have had one myself

We had one at my previous job and the majority of staff made a sh!t load of noise and got 100% of the bonus. I have no issue with Hunt chasing it.

Is the deal structured where each player is entitled to $x for playing a rep game but only 50% is paid and the rest withheld? If so I would do exactly what Hunt is doing. If it was structured that you get $x for a rep game but additional money over and above the standard payment is put away into a loyalty fund then tough luck for Hunt.

You really have to wonder about the quality of advice Hunt's getting if his manager says crap like;

Riolo said he believed Hunt should be paid the money owed because of his “unique” situation.

“Karmichael is completely changing professions rather than just going to a competing code and there’s an argument he should receive his full representative payments,” Riolo told Rugby League Week."

That is just simply idiotic.

He's changing professions?

From a professional footballer to a .. well, professional footballer...

shiznit

Coach
:lol:

but cutie is a proud Queenslander & Australian... :roll:

f**king hell.... isn't the Jersey enough these days...

Latest posts