What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL Round 13

CyberKev

Staff member
A week is indeed a long time in football... When there's NONE BEING PLAYED! There's ten big weeks ahead for the embattled VIC-based outfits, let's check out Round 13. This could be one of my gutsier tipping efforts...

FRIDAY JUNE 27 AEST
Essendon vs Geelong
Telstra Dome 7:40 PM AEST

The Bombers will not make the finals this season and will most likely lose at least as many as they win for the remainder of this season. Geelong is also out of finals contention, but there does appear to be a renewed enthusiasm at the club and its a good opportunity for the cats in the cradle to further their promising development without the pressure of a finals assault hanging over them. They comfortably disposed of Essendon in the corresponding fixture last season and should be able to get up again here. Much interest will centre on Tim Watson's son (Jobe) making his debut and good luck to the kid. I suspect he'll have better days than this one though... Cats by 8 pts

SATURDAY JUNE 28 AEST
Melbourne vs St Kilda
Melbourne Cricket Ground 2:10 PM AEST

Melbourne would have to be the worst side going around at the moment, but logic demands that the side will snap its losing streak when you least expect it. The club should be very worried though, as the list appears very light-on and the frustration around the place has been evident in the recent on and off field woes of club captain, David Neitz. St KIlda is developing momentum and has much to look forward to with a sparkling array of young talent on its list. I get the sense that the Saint youngsters are really starting to enjoy their football and this is a dangerous additive to what is already a heady mix raw potential and enthusiasm. The Demons won't be snapping out of it this weekend... Saints by 27 pts

Port Adelaide vs Sydney
AAMI Stadium 2:10 PM ACST

Undoubtedly the match of the round. I'm a big wrap for the Power who for mine are less than a minute from twelve on the Mick Malthouse Midnight (at the Oasis) clock. They're the best side in this competition and will win it if they've finally sorted out their finals stage fright (which may still be a big if). They will be too good for a Swans outfit that is not as good as it thinks it is, but is nonetheless playing far better than we all expected. They'll make the 8 no problems, but I expect they'll lose about half of the ten games remaining in the home and away season and get found out in the finals.They're certainly out of their depth here, but then so would most sides be... Power by 42 pts

Western Bulldogs vs Collingwood
Telstra Dome 7:10 PM AEST

Its been a painful season for the hapless Hounds thus far, but they may well be smiling this Saturday evening. The Bulldogs invariably man-up the Magpies well and have been playing strong wekk-in, week-out despite not getting the points. Collingwood have ran hot and cold (MORE OF THE LATTER), and should be able to nail the six wins required to snare a place in the eight. Its a brave tip this, but I have a gut feeling that the Dogs will be too desperate and nimble. Collingwood is very ordinary when the players are skimping on the workrate and that's been happening a bit already this year. If you can match them in this area then you can win the game and Western has shown me that it isn't lacking for workrate. Bulldogs by 7 pts

Brisbane Lions vs Richmond
Gabba 7:10 PM AEST

Another thread here is asking the question of a Lion three-peat, and a month ago I would have been laying the big bucks on such an eventuality. This being said, I've seen several back-to-back Premiers fall apart during the second half of the third season, as injuries begin to take their inevitable toll. Brisbane is a quality side, but no side has enjoyed a better run with injuries over the last few years and maybe its time for them to pay the piper. Richmond, alas, have troubles of their own in this regard, which will ensure a fifth consecutive defeat. It'll be tight though, and on the Tiger's form of a month back I would have tipped them here. They've been dismal lately though and Brisbane will be desperate to atone for the Eagles humiliation of a fortnight ago... Lions by 21 pts

SUNDAY JUNE 29 AEST
Hawthorn vs Fremantle
York Park 1:10 PM AEST

Form dictates that the Power vs Swans must be match of the round, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be the best game on offer this weekend. Hawthorn was too low for zero a few weeks back, but the resolve and confidence has returned markedly with a couple of unexpected and hard-earned wins. Freo are marching irresistably toward their first ever finals campaign and will fancy their chances aginst a side that they invariably perform well against (regardless of ladder positions). Hawthorn's midfield remains dicey and they enter this game with ruck worries, but they play well at York Park and should be in the right frame of mind to grind this one out. Freo has the better form and looks sound on paper, but the Hawks can surprise here... Hawks by 2 pts

Carlton vs Adelaide
Optus Oval 2:10 PM AEST

Regular readers of my weekly rundowns will know that I don't look upon Adelaide with anything like the reverential awe that the media does. They'll certainly make the play offs, but I doubt they'll set the world alightbecuase they don't have a lot once you get past the ruck & midfield, they're lazy as all buggery, and don't know how to win close games. Average form will be more than enough for this game, however, with battling Carlton unlikely to worry the Crows unduly. The Blues will battle valiantly, but once you get past the desperate bravado there's little to get excited about with Carlton. They simply lack the depth of talent to trouble most sides and while the media is licking its lips at the prospect of a Mick Martyn/Wayne Carey match-up, I'm devoting more thought to how the bloody hell Mick is still getting a game in the top flight?! Crows by 35 pts

West Coast vs Kangaroos
Subiaco 1:40 PM AWST

The Kangaroos have stunned all and sundry with their efforts this season, but the inevitable hiding looms large on the Western horizon this weekend. The Eagles are looking inspired of late, with young Chris Judd firing on all V12 cylinders and veritable veteran Glenn Jakovich prancing like the Ferrari horse. Amazing what a few wins will do for you. I watched Jako lumbering around York Park like a last gasp dinosaur in round 2 and was genuinely embarrassed for the bloke. Yet there he was at the Gabba in Round 12 cutting a dashing figure in what seemed like a ruck roving role! The Roos have dragged every ounce out of the talent that they have and deserve respect for this when more fancied Victorian sides have lacked the gumption to hold their end up. Its just too big a task this time around on a heartbreak ground where bravery is just not enough to do it for you. 18 points may still be difficult for the Roos to accrue from here, even with a possible 40 on offer. They certainly won't be taking home these four... Eagles by 54 pts

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
If only SL could find time to take a week out.

Let's see if 1200 feet up still works....... :?

Winning margins and projected crowd figures:-
Essendon vs Geelong - Bombers by 12 - 38,500
Melbourne vs St Kilda - Saints by 28 - 30,800
Port Adelaide vs Sydney - Port by 30 - 26,300
Western Bulldogs vs Collingwood - Magpies by 1 - 37,500
Brisbane Lions vs Richmond - Tigers by 17........... :?: 34,100
Hawthorn vs Fremantle - Freo by 8 - 18,200
Carlton vs Adelaide - Crows by 30 - 24,900
West Coast vs Kangaroos - Eagles by 32 - 34,700

If it works, I'll bottle it Kev. :-s

Cupid Stunt

Essendon vs Geelong - Essendon
Melbourne vs St Kilda - Melbourne
Port Adelaide vs Sydney - Port. (Though a draw would satisfy.)
Western Bulldogs vs Collingwood - WESTERN
Brisbane Lions vs Richmond - Brisbane
Hawthorn vs Fremantle - Freo
Carlton vs Adelaide - Adelaide
West Coast vs Kangaroos - W.C

217153av.gif

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
Don't book that balloon ride Kev....... #-o

Air sux. :cry:

Well, I didn't fare any better on terra firma!

Great to see the Hawks salute again, despite the dismal conditions.

Very disappointing about Western! I really thought they could roll the Magpies, which would have created a nice old log jam between 8-12.

They can't go on losing indefinitely and I'm not overly thrilled at the prospect of facing them this week.

Richmond? Oh Dear, talk about a season of promising being rapidly flushed down the gurgler! Close to the poorest side in the comp on form.

St Kilda... Games don't get much bigger for them than Essendon this Friday. Win and they're on the brink of the 8, lose and it is probably curtains.

Port is clearly the best side going around at the moment. With Sydney, Freo & the Kangaroos all going down, fourth spot has opened-up more than a tad, and it may not necessarily be just 8th position that is on offer for the battlers in the logjam.

CyberKev

Latest posts