What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL take the moral high ground

Kiki

First Grade
Everlovin your post is awesome. i just linked to it on the Oh Errol twitter

www.twitter.com/oherrol

ps can someone tell me how come News Ltd has a huge stake in the game, yet their papers continually trash it at the same time? eh?

oh btw they didnt approve my comment either. skldfkjlhkjsfhgfs

Cheers Kiki.

The pricks won't post the negative stuff because they're agenda-driven. What we need to do is keep hammering them with the balancing stuff because they won't do it themselves.

Kiki

First Grade
well me and sassy are doing an interview tomorrow partly concerning this drama and we were considering opting out and going for the no comment line. but then we realised it's times like these the game we love needs women to stand up and voice their support.

i wanna speak up for people like Alan Tongue and Steve Menzies and all the players like that. i don't wanna go missing when times get tough in league u know?

Walshaw might reckon AFL has won women over, but it hasn't got us.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Everlovin your post is awesome. i just linked to it on the Oh Errol twitter

www.twitter.com/oherrol

ps can someone tell me how come News Ltd has a huge stake in the game, yet their papers continually trash it at the same time? eh?

oh btw they didnt approve my comment either. skldfkjlhkjsfhgfs

could things like this be a reason?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118100557923424501.html

More than a decade ago, News Corp.'s Australian unit struck a marketing agreement with the Australian Football League in which some of News Corp.'s Australian papers promised a minimum amount of news coverage of the sport, according to the AFL and News Corp. Promising coverage in return for anything of value is forbidden by many publications, which regard it as advertising masquerading as news.

well me and sassy are doing an interview tomorrow partly concerning this drama and we were considering opting out and going for the no comment line. but then we realised it's times like these the game we love needs women to stand up and voice their support.

i wanna speak up for people like Alan Tongue and Steve Menzies and all the players like that. i don't wanna go missing when times get tough in league u know?

Walshaw might reckon AFL has won women over, but it hasn't got us.

Onya with bells.

my2centsworth

Juniors
Geez if you guys are so worried about bias in the mainstream media and refusal to print comments on their websites why don't you contact the independant paper that everyone used to read on the train or similar? (I assume its still going the name escapes me and their articles were mainly from freelance contributions) From what I remember there was a bit of league coverage in it.....I'm sure they'd like a confrontational but researched article to boost their circulation/what revenue they get from advertising. Instead of whinging about it on an internet formum to a small group of people

Geez if you guys are so worried about bias in the mainstream media and refusal to print comments on their websites why don't you contact the independant paper that everyone used to read on the train or similar? (I assume its still going the name escapes me and their articles were mainly from freelance contributions) From what I remember there was a bit of league coverage in it.....I'm sure they'd like a confrontational but researched article to boost their circulation/what revenue they get from advertising. Instead of whinging about it on an internet formum to a small group of people

Gee mate, thanks for the tip.

It's outrageous that no one here has never thought of that before...

El Diablo

Post Whore
thanks champ!

*pumps fist*

there's no point

the media have decided which code they want to succeed and it's not Rugby League

unfortunately the words of a few will not change the minds of people who have had articles and news stories involving League players shoved down their throats

then we have idiots like Pru Goward saying criminal charges should happen despite NZ police saying they don't think a crime was commited

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...e-other-players/2009/05/14/1241894083170.html

"Matthew Johns has made his apology. He should have made it a long time ago. It's ruined his life," she said.

"But for those other men he can identify, [the woman] might not have known their names but he will have, we're now talking about criminal charges."

if you watch Sky News they have been showing Pru Goward every hour but have not once mentioned this http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25479776-23109,00.html

Detective Inspector David Long, from Christchurch police, said the original investigation involved up to 80 interviews, and was thorough and conclusive.

"I'm completely satisfied that we got full and truthful accounts at the time and that no crime was committed,'' Det Insp Long said.

"There's renewed interest now, obviously from this television program, but there's been no new information whatsoever that's come forward that changes anything.

"So as far as reopening it, it's just not going to happen.''

they have this on their website and people should ring them and inform them of this and ask why they aren't running the NZ Police statement and only Pru Goward http://www.skynews.com.au/yoursay/yoursay.aspx

Sky News is always interested in hearing from our viewers. You can telephone our Your Say line on 1300 30 34 35

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
well it's depressing but i don't wanna just give up trying to do my bit for league.

Dogs Of War

Coach
well it's depressing but i don't wanna just give up trying to do my bit for league.

As long as people keep supporting it by turning up to games etc, it ain't going to die. The fact that it can hold the headlines for as long as it has, shows the popularity of the sport.

Rugby League is a male version of Days of our Lives it feels sometimes.

8Ball

First Grade
This is all going to come to a head for AFL. If they keep pushing and pushing and pushing..it will come back to bite them in the arse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have the AFL actually come out and said this isn't a problem for them and it is just a RL problem? I'm not sue why everyone is so het up about the AFL, its the media that are sticking the knife in not the AFL. We need to learn better ways to control the media, sticking it to AFL isn't going to help us.

macavity

Referee
errol should do a compare table..... or ea could do it for them

"crime" - nrl player - nrl response - afl player - afl response

edit - there would be plenty of categories where there was no NRL player too

sleeping with best mates wife

coke fueled rampage

watching minor die from heroin OD

being just three examples

Have the AFL actually come out and said this isn't a problem for them and it is just a RL problem? I'm not sue why everyone is so het up about the AFL, its the media that are sticking the knife in not the AFL. We need to learn better ways to control the media, sticking it to AFL isn't going to help us.

Well, Bec Wilson said it's only a Rugby League problem and she's as close to an AFL reporter as one can get. Patrick smith once said "rugby League has a culture to despise" whilst knowingly ignoring the garbage going on in his code.

The problem is that we (the Rugby League media)sit back and take it, we allow them to print stories like the one today in the Telegraph about how well they treat women, when in the closet there are goings on amongst the AFL player fraternity with women that would make Chopper Reed blush.

The moment of of our gutless scribes takes up the cudgels is the moment I sh*t my pants for the first time in 49 years.

errol should do a compare table..... or ea could do it for them

"crime" - nrl player - nrl response - afl player - afl response

edit - there would be plenty of categories where there was no NRL player too

sleeping with best mates wife

coke fueled rampage

watching minor die from heroin OD

being just three examples

Already on Errol mate.